BC ESSENTIALS

FtrDrO

Natural Ladies, what do you consider essentials that everyone should have before doing the BC? This can include things to actually perform the BC on yourself, products that are necessary to dealing with your new natural hair, and hair accessories, makeup, or fashion tips that may be necessary to complete/ make the best of your new look. Please share!

i havn't bc'd but i think nice big earings if it will be a short haircut. something to detangle and define curls. a lot of moisturizing deep conditioners.

Sharp scissors: You don't want to start off natural with split ends as a result of dull scissors.
Hoop earrings
Wide Toothed Comb
Spray bottle for daily moisturizer
Moisturizing Cheapie Conditioner
Moisturizing Deep Conditioner
Nice oil to seal moisture in
Silk or satin scarf/pillowcase

Last edited:
Very good point about the sharp scissors! ..when I BC'd I went out to buy scissors specifically to avoid a bad start.

What a great thread! I've been transitioning since this past May and plan to BC this may coming up. I can't wait to see others's responses.

favorite oil
Denman brush or big comb
Clear gel
Moisturizing Poo -- no SLS
Moisturizing Deep Conditioner
protein conditioner (every once in awhile; some naturals don't like but some do)
daily moisturizer
Big earrings
Silk or satin scarf
cheap shower caps
hooded dryer
microfiber towel or old cotton tee for a reduced frizz WNG. microfiber dries hair faster with less frizz
cheapie conditioner
sexy eye shadow, mascara, lashes, and clear skin (when your hair is short your facial features are more "noticeable")

IMO, if it's a short cut, your eyebrows should be done. I personally looked really young when I first chopped because my eyebrows were a bit overgrown.
Scarfs or fabric for a nice headwrap (easy fix for bad hair day)

a hat
a nice headband scarf
nice earrings
gel
sharp scissors
a handheld mirror
leave in conditioner
regular conditioner

This one is a little odd but I feel its a MAJOR necessity and that is...

**HAVE NATURAL EYEBROWS...**When I first did my bc I let my eyebrows grow out too and that made the newly afro head of mine fit perfectly. My mother on the other hand continued to shave and pluck and hated her face shape and all this, but once I suggested that she grow her eyebrows out she loved the whole look and then her face shape was no longer the problem.

a few other things that helped me was

**Accessories, Accessories, Accessories** Since your going natural then you should definately play up the natural-ness of the whole thing. Big earrings that look handcrafted, if not handcrafted themselves. Beads look great with a natural head. Ive also seen a lot of beautiful knits that look great on naturals. Im actually really wanting to learn how to do it myself.

**Healthy Eating** Im not sure if this really fits with your examples but I know Ive benefited from making the whole thing a life change. Im not too proud to admit I kinda let myself go after my baby. I gained a ton of weight and I decided when I went natural at the beginning of the year that hair wasnt the only thing I wanted to feel au natural with. Admittidly I could be doing better on my diet though. I will focus on that for sure in 09 even more so than now. I thought along with bc'ng my hair I would bc the pounds too. I lost between 70 and 80 lbs this year...Ive been plateued though for the past month or so...thanksgiving coming up wont help with that though lol, but whatever Im happy I fit into my first size 7s since like 8th grade or so.

**Acceptance** Once you chop off your hair your going to have many days when a perm screams your name...Youve got to remember even on the hard days why you went natural...If that should truly change then perhaps going back to chemicals is the thing for you, but if you want a perm just cause your having an "I feel ugly day" then PLEASE DO NOT PERM...I almost did a few months in. Instead I put in some straight extensions and straightened the top of my hair...I hated it and was so thankful I didnt perm. Then about 2 months ago I entertained the idea of straight hair. I flat ironed and I hated that as well. I missed my curlies moments later. Although as soon as I wet it, it reverted and I was happy again. Youve really got to accept yourself for the human being that you are and realize that people are serious when they say this is a journey

**Scarves...and shiz** I razored my hair off. I have pictures lol, but they will never see anothers eyes. I knew that was the only way I could do it cause any perm left over was too much for me to handle. I give major props to transitioners I could never do that. The two textures were impossible to manage for me...although, Ive learned more now and probably would of just kept my hair twisted and tried transitioning...perhaps. I just wanted to be done with it. Anyhow, I wore scarves everywhere I went the first 2 months cause have an inch of hair isnt cute...Its not.

thats all I can think of now...

Back