Battle of the Natural Hair Products

lamaria211

Ladies I'm trying to find the best natural hair product brand so tell which ones are your all time favorites
I like Darcys, Curl Junkie and Silk Dreams so far but I'm interested in trying Bee Mine and My honey child. I don't want to end up ordering from 20 vendors do please help a sista out and tell me what's good and why?

A lot of them have sample packs. Darcy's has a sample pack but it goes out of stock real quickly! Check around the holidays that's when she typically restocks them. I've tried a lot of darcy's stuff but only 2 of them are staples for me: body oils and leave in conditioner.

I got samples of Miss Jessies. The Baby buttercreme is nice.

I recently ordered a Wen Package. I can't wait to get it today or tomorrow.

Shea Moisture is popular in the natural community as well. You can get that from target. I've only tried their holding/styling spray and I like it a lot. I use it when I do a braid out and my hair is still damp. So I sprtiz it and it helps hold the curl and eliminates frizziness that typically comes with damp braid outs.

Good luck!

ETA: The holiday season is coming up so take advantage of the sales. especially with expensive lines like Miss Jessies

I'm relaxed and I really love Darcy's transitioning creme - it's a really good creamy moisturizer that isn't oily yet it's pretty emollient.

I also really like their Pumpkin Seed conditioner. I'm glad I tried it. It's very thick and moisturizing. I think this stuff will melt in my hair when I get a touch up. I'm currently 6.5 months post relaxer so my hair might behave a little differently than hair that hasn't been w/o a relaxer for as long.

Curl Junkie Rehab - Love this as well, great moisturizing conditioner. I just wish it were a little cheaper.

Hair Veda
Silk Dreams

I chose them because my staple products are from those lines.

All my hair needs are covered by Hair Veda and Ive never tried a product in this line that my hair didnt love !!!!

cleanser - Amala creme rinse, shikakai shampoo bar
DC - Moisture - Sitrinillah
Protein Treatment - Methi Tea set
Protein light/mild - Acaiberry Phyto, Moist PRO (also use as a leave in)
Leave Ins - whipped clouds, whipped ends, red tea leave in
Stylers - whipped gelly, red tea gel, almond glaze
Conditioners - Moisture (also use a s a detangler and leave in) - MOist 24/7

If SD had stylers they would be complete for me too. I havnt tried SDs protein products or cleansers only because I already have a ton of these from HV lol

Pura Body Naturals is one of my staples. I love the Murumuru Moisture Milk and the Cupucacu butter. She actually has a sale of her samples happening right now.

Also, check out Black Friday sales. There's usually a thread here and/or the vendor forum as we get closer to that week. I generally don't try new (to me) online vendors unless I can get a certain % off.

@lamaria211 have you tried other easy-to-find products or do you just prefer the ones marketed as being for natural black people's hair? I ask because I've tried some of the products listed above (thanks to a dear friend who sent me samples when I was finally wearing my hair out and not sure what to use, since I use nothing when braided). And at the end of the day, I found that products sold at CVS or the grocery store and that aren't "for black hair" worked best for me. I never really liked any of those "natural hair products" nor did products that every natural person I knew was using work for me. So I have never had to spend lots of money trying different things because the cheapos from around the corner work. But I'm also not a PJ nor am I curious about products that I am not missing, yanno?

Just thought I'd throw this out in case there's someone who mistakenly thinks that products relaxed ladies use cannot be used on natural hair.

@lamaria211 have you tried other easy-to-find products or do you just prefer the ones marketed as being for natural black people's hair? I ask because I've tried some of the products listed above (thanks to a dear friend who sent me samples when I was finally wearing my hair out and not sure what to use, since I use nothing when braided). And at the end of the day, I found that products sold at CVS or the grocery store and that aren't "for black hair" worked best for me. I never really liked any of those "natural hair products" nor did products that every natural person I knew was using work for me. So I have never had to spend lots of money trying different things because the cheapos from around the corner work. But I'm also not a PJ nor am I curious about products that I am not missing, yanno?

Just thought I'd throw this out in case there's someone who mistakenly thinks that products relaxed ladies use cannot be used on natural hair.

I don't really care who the product is marketed for or if its local or internet only I just want something good for my hair I like thick moisturizing products best

I'm relaxed and I really love Darcy's transitioning creme - it's a really good creamy moisturizer that isn't oily yet it's pretty emollient.

I also really like their Pumpkin Seed conditioner. I'm glad I tried it. It's very thick and moisturizing. I think this stuff will melt in my hair when I get a touch up. I'm currently 6.5 months post relaxer so my hair might behave a little differently than hair that hasn't been w/o a relaxer for as long.

Curl Junkie Rehab - Love this as well, great moisturizing conditioner. I just wish it were a little cheaper.

I've heard great things about Darcys TC but I was also interested in Bee Mine moisturizer its kind of a toss up between those 2 right now.
Have you ever tried using the Pumpkin condish as a moisturizer or leave in

lamaria211 i would suggest you open those delicious Kerastase masquintense i saw in your stash in that other thread :yep::lick:. What you're looking for might already be in your possession. Any reason you are not using them? The mask worked well on my all relaxed hair, and it's a treat on my 8 month new growth. I know it's not all natural but i know a lot of naturals that use it with success.
I love the bee mine line though. The deep conditioner did not impress me as a rinse out, but it did well as a moisturizer and leave in. I do actually love love love the bee lovely leave in, and the bee mine deja hair milk. Soft hair for days. These 2 products taught me what the ladies meant by Hand in Hair disease. I recently started the q hemet burdok root butter cream. It's hard for me to give it a good review cause my hair has already been soft from using the bee lovely after i wash my hair on tuesday. What i mean is i don't know its moisturizing power yet but would let you know. I was an Scurl (excellent moisturizer) fan but i try to minimize my paraben use so i don't have to buy different products for my 2 year old.

I would look at places like:

Curlmart
Sage Naturaleutics
AveYou
Nounou Boutique

and other places that offer a variety & where you can stock up on a variety of different brands.

My Current Favs (in no particular order) are:
Hairveda
SheScentIt
Afroveda
Jasmine Bath & Beauty *discontinued*
Silk Dreams
Claudie
Darcy's Botancials *also has an ETSY shop*
Curl Junkie
Marie Dean *also has an ETSY shop*
Brown Butter Beauty *also has an ETSY shop*
Qhemet Biologics
Oyin Handmade
Hydratherma Naturals
Jessicurl
MyHoneyChild
BeeMine
Purabody Naturals

My Current ETSY Favs (in no particular order):
Hairitage Hydrations
Naturelle Grow
Njoi CreationS
Pomade Shop
Saravun Naturals
Bel Nuovo
Hydroquench Systems *?*

Unfortunately I have yet to find a line that caters to all my hair needs.
  • My moisturizer, heat protectant and detangling conditioner is from Shea Radiance, which I'm able to get on the ground thank God.
  • My staple DCs are from Darcy's and Anita Grant.
  • My staple leave-in is from KBB.
  • My medium/hard protein is from HairVeda.
  • My light proteins are either from AO or SSI.
  • And my stylers are from KBB, Qhemet Biologics and Shea Moisture.

Last edited:
Maria lol, you know you probably have something that will work great, but I guess you want to use all natural products.

My favorites are claudies, curl junkie, silk dreams, and hairveda (In that order) because I can get everything I need from them. Oh, SSI is good too.
Claudie's is my beast, may she live forever
Curl Junkie is too expensive, but I love it
Silk Dreams only last 6 months, and since it takes me longer than that to go through product I have to buy it right
Hairveda is good, but not great for my hair like the others. Their 2 part protein conditioner is great.

All the other ones have one product that I like, and with shipping that is too much, so I end up buying them from the product exchange.

lamaria211 i would suggest you open those delicious Kerastase masquintense i saw in your stash in that other thread :yep::lick:. What you're looking for might already be in your possession. Any reason you are not using them? The mask worked well on my all relaxed hair, and it's a treat on my 8 month new growth. I know it's not all natural but i know a lot of naturals that use it with success.
I love the bee mine line though. The deep conditioner did not impress me as a rinse out, but it did well as a moisturizer and leave in. I do actually love love love the bee lovely leave in, and the bee mine deja hair milk. Soft hair for days. These 2 products taught me what the ladies meant by Hand in Hair disease. I recently started the q hemet burdok root butter cream. It's hard for me to give it a good review cause my hair has already been soft from using the bee lovely after i wash my hair on tuesday. What i mean is i don't know its moisturizing power yet but would let you know. I was an Scurl (excellent moisturizer) fan but i try to minimize my paraben use so i don't have to buy different products for my 2 year old.

Before I buy anything im going to try a few things like my Darcys Avocado n wild plum twisting cream as a moisturizer and maybe even my Tresemme naturals condish. But I'm a PJ and I like buying stuff!(I'm sorry)

komaza care: protein strengthener is a great hardcore protein treatment

claudies revitalizer: isha , murumuru-acai,balancing ends and quinoa coffee balancing are great moisturizers and i seal with my own oil mix

darcy's botanicals: the leave-in is great for detangling has lots of slip, the transtioning cream is also nice
aubrey's: gbp jay and hsr are rotating staples in my stash that make great pre-poos , rinseout or deep conditioners

hydroquench systems: makes nice dcs and the greaseless moisture is a great moisturizer/detangler

i'm grateful my hair is not too finicky or picky and that if any lines are discontinued i have 1-2 things that could replace the staples in my stash.

@Nonie

What products do you use and what's your hair type/texture? Thanks.

@gorgeoushair, I have fine 4B (kinky/coily/nappy) hair.

For shampoos I use Giovanni 50:50, Trader Joe's Nourish Spa, any of the Garnier Fructis line. Really, I'm OK using any gel-like shampoo that says it's for dry/normal hair. I prefer gel like because I feel like they get my scalp clean better than creamy ones. I feel as if creamy ones coat my scalp and leave it feeling icky.

For conditioning, I use Aussie Moist 3 Minute Miracle, Aubrey GPB (also DC with this), Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose, Organix conditioners, Pantene Repleneshing Mask, Nexxus Emergencée (also DC with this), Nexxus Humectress Hydrating Deep Conditioning Masque. (Boldfaced are reconstructors aka my strengthening treatments.)

I mentioned that I like gel-like shampoos, but I do also use Nexxus Therappe. I use it after DCing with Emergencée per the directions on Emergencée, but I focus its application on my hair not my scalp.

I use leave-in moisturizer only when wearing my hair out and S Curl No-Drip Activator is what I use.

When I straighten my hair, I use the John Frieda Frizz Ease line, protectant spray and serum. As part of my conditioning, I use CHI Infra Treatment Thermal Protection Treatment.

I don't use products geared toward natural hair. I find that many of them are too pricey for my taste and the products geared toward natural hair from larger companies have iffy ingredients. I'm a do-it-yourself person and I enjoy making my own products.

The majority of the things my hair likes can be safely eaten :lol:. I use things like crisco, aloe vera juice, grapeseed oil, coconut oil, coconut milk, castor oil, flaxseed gel, & honey. The only non-edible things I use regularly is conditioner (VO5 & Tresemme Naturals) and black soap.

SheaIntellect

Tell me more about this Shea Radiance and where to find it. I think you mentioned it in another thread....hits and misses maybe...IDK

@Nonie

Do you have a problem w/ cones?

gorgeoushair, no I don't have a problem with cones. (I still don't know why people who "have problems with cones" think they do.) If it wasn't for the fact that I like baggying, I'd be using cones daily. I just cannot have them on my scalp or I'll itch like crazy. But when applied to wet hair, they give me smooth, soft hair that isn't greasy but feels like doll or baby hair. I use them when I flat iron and they keep reversion at bay and keep my hair feeling lovely till wash-day.

Back