Bantu Knots Question?

Blue_Berry

Do I do bantu knots on dry hair or wet hair? I am washing my hair tonight and I want to try something different like bantu knots.

Whenever I've done bantu knots I did it on dry hair, moisturizing each section before I twisted. I got good results this way. I'd be afraid to do bantus on wet hair because I'd be afraid of tangles, and my hair stretching and snapping once it's dry.

What are you trying to achieve? Do you want to wear bantus as a style, or do you want to do a 'bantu knot out'?

I where bantus as a style and I've done them both on dry and wet hair. When I want to do a BAA, I stretch my hair in bantu's first. And currently after I wash I dry my hair in bantus because it cuts down on tangles and keeps my hair stretched

I'm a 4 something natural

I always bantu with my hair a little damp. I have 4a/b natural so I don't manipulate my hair when it's dry ever

What are you trying to achieve? Do you want to wear bantus as a style, or do you want to do a 'bantu knot out'?

I where bantus as a style and I've done them both on dry and wet hair. When I want to do a BAA, I stretch my hair in bantu's first. And currently after I wash I dry my hair in bantus because it cuts down on tangles and keeps my hair stretched

I'm a 4 something natural

I am planning to wear the bantu knots out for a natural style.

i prefer them on Dry straight hair (my hair isn't relaxed) but i moisturize with my cantu shea butter leave-in first "& seal with coconut oil and i get waves waves.. i did them on wet hair and the weren't dry the next day.. but it made a great curly fro... i suggest try b0th "& see which 1 you like better =) HtH

bump,

would they damage your hair if you did them on relaxed, wet hair??

TIA!

I've done them on my damp relaxed hair... and they were alright... but the ends were a little crunchy.

You can twist an old stocking (pantihose) in with the bantu section... and that will eliminate weird ends... also the hair dries better... and the waves are bigger.

Damp hair is best for me.

I usually airdry for 1-2 hours (I'm a year post, so drying takes a while..) and then make my bantu knots. This is usually after a cowash. When I'm not washing I mist my hair with a bit of water and conditioner. I would not recommend doing them on soaking wet hair if you plan to wear a knot out the next day, bantu knots take forever to dry.

I also love to use them when my flatironed hair doesn't look too good anymore. I'll mist again so they'll hold better, moisturize my ends and this gives me the best results ever.

My relaxed hair is very fragile but bantu knots require very little manipulation, which is why I love them so much. My ends are so much fuller now that I've been using bantu knots instead of braid outs.

I did mine on semi transitioning wet hair...
it was about 65% dry..
I used some shea butter and coconut oil.

My pics are big ..so forgive me:
delete

Final results..I did a frohawk thingy..[/FONT]:look:

Last edited:
Whenever I've done bantu knots I did it on dry hair, moisturizing each section before I twisted. I got good results this way. I'd be afraid to do bantus on wet hair because I'd be afraid of tangles, and my hair stretching and snapping once it's dry.

:yep: I did 2 bantu knot outs this weekend and absolutely loved how they turned out.

I've done them on my damp relaxed hair... and they were alright... but the ends were a little crunchy.

You can twist an old stocking (pantihose) in with the bantu section... and that will eliminate weird ends... also the hair dries better... and the waves are bigger.

Question, how do you twist it with the stockings? Do you just take a strip and twist it as if it was hair. My ends did turn out pretty nasty when I did my knot out and I was wondering how to fix this issue? TIA

Also, what products would give the best results. I used my shescentit leave-in, hairveda whipped cream and sealed with cocasta oil. Would using a butter make them turn out better (better meaning no rough ends)?

Here's how they turned out. Looked better in person :ohwell:

post1.jpg

post2.jpg

use.jpg

use4.jpg

Last edited:
Whenever I've done bantu knots I did it on dry hair, moisturizing each section before I twisted. I got good results this way. I'd be afraid to do bantus on wet hair because I'd be afraid of tangles, and my hair stretching and snapping once it's dry.[/QUOTE]

I set it dry for this reason...

Damp hair is best for me.

I usually airdry for 1-2 hours (I'm a year post, so drying takes a while..) and then make my bantu knots. This is usually after a cowash. When I'm not washing I mist my hair with a bit of water and conditioner. I would not recommend doing them on soaking wet hair if you plan to wear a knot out the next day, bantu knots take forever to dry.

I also love to use them when my flatironed hair doesn't look too good anymore. I'll mist again so they'll hold better, moisturize my ends and this gives me the best results ever.

My relaxed hair is very fragile but bantu knots require very little manipulation, which is why I love them so much. My ends are so much fuller now that I've been using bantu knots instead of braid outs.

do you just air dry loose? and do you make a lot of small knots or a few big ones?

Thanks for the tip!
I tried them on wet/damp hair yesterday and slept with him and they dried for the most part but two of knots came out during the night,
I'm going to have to experiment with this style, it's definitely better than air drying in a bun though, my hair really tangles in a bun...

Question, how do you twist it with the stockings? Do you just take a strip and twist it as if it was hair. My ends did turn out pretty nasty when I did my knot out and I was wondering how to fix this issue? TIA

Also, what products would give the best results. I used my shescentit leave-in, hairveda whipped cream and sealed with cocasta oil. Would using a butter make them turn out better (better meaning no rough ends)?

I take a leg of the stocking and use it as if it were a part of the twisting section. For example, some people braid and then make a knot. So in that case they will use the stocking as the third part of the braid piece. Some people simply twist and knot. In that case they will use the stocking as the second part of the twist.

Do I make sense? I hope I do! :drunk:

As for products.... for a braid out or bantu knot, I would use an oil or butter to hold the style. Apply when damp and then do the bantu knots. Remember, the ends can be rough even if you do use a product. In order for them to behave you have to manipulate them correctly, either by carefully tucking them in without smooshing them, or by putting a tiny curler in them... and positioning the curler next to the knot. You are going to look a little nuts, but its all about achieving the style. I think CurlyNIkki has a great tut on getting the ends just right.

i tried it on Saturday night. After I lightly blow-dryed my hair I did the bantu knots and let them loose in the morning. it looked pretty good but by the evening, all I had were loose touseld waves and not the lush beautiful curls that I had when I first undid them. I need to improve on my twisting technique

Back