Bantu Knots/Braidouts. Ladies I needed help badly

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
Ladies,

I am hating my hair right now. Nothing that I seem to try is working for me. I'm at my end wit and braiding isn't the answer ( money).

So anyways, I am 3 months post trying to transition and I want to do a style that will be curly but easy to maintain. I have ear/neck length hair and I have been trying braid outs, perm rod sets and bantu knots. The knots and braid out I have tried on both wet and dry hair but not matter what I do the next morning my hair is frizzy without defination. I don't have any curl defination with the braidout and with the knots I have a little but by the afternoon my hair is a mess. I'm getting real tried real fast.

So my question is I guess what should I be using/doing to stop the frizzy and to get and keep curl defination.

Thanks for the suggestions in advance.

Hey LadyR,
Don't be distressed. i know it can be annoying when your hair isn't working. First, could you post a pic of you hair so we can see what you are referring to.

Also, when i was transitioning - http://public.fotki.com/TemiLnd/2008/jan---june-2008/
I found that braidout and knot outs really worked. Once my hair was washed and DC'd, I would use my hair lotion and seal with castor oil. I did this with each section and twisted and knoted. Popped a bobby pin in and let it air dry over night. i was frizz free and had great curls. The tigher you do the knots the curler the hair.
I have lots of pics in my Fotki. E.g.
DSC001991-vi.jpg

Emm back then I think I used Organic Root stimulator OLive Oil hair lotion. But you can use what you use now, just use it sparingly. But seal your moisture in. But use little to no heat - yoru frizzing will reduce.

My hair's about shoulder length right now... probably longer with my NG but I haven't straightened since my last relaxer.

This is a braidout on 21 weeks (5 months) post hair:

Cowashed with HE 'Break's Over'
Leave In - Nexxus Headdress
Airdried till about 80% dry
Applied Lustrasilk shea butter cholestrol to each section before braiding...

Tied scarf and kept braids in overnight.
Took out with shea butter mix on my fingers (kept dipping fingers into it)
Shook out roots (with fingers) and...

Don't get frustrated, you'll get it right! you definitely will... I know how it can be, I had similar frustrations when trying to rollerset initially and now I've improved greatly.

Last edited:
Can I have your hair :grin:

Thanks for the post. I will keep trying

My hair's about shoulder length right now... probably longer with my NG but I haven't straightened since my last relaxer.

This is a braidout on 21 weeks (5 months) post hair:

Cowashed with HE 'Break's Over'
Leave In - Nexxus Headdress
Airdried till about 80% dry
Applied Lustrasilk shea butter cholestrol to each section before braiding...

Tied scarf and kept braids in overnight.
Took out with shea butter mix on my fingers (kept dipping fingers into it)
Shook out roots (with fingers) and...

Don't get frustrated, you'll get it right! you definitely will... I know how it can be, I had similar frustrations when trying to rollerset initially and now I've improved greatly.

MummysGirl

Your braidout looks very nice. I'm going to try that after cowashing today. Thanks for the post.

MummysGirl your braidout come out very nice. Idk how to french braid/cornrow or flat twist very well:ohwell:

This is modivation for me to learn soon though.

Mummysgirl that braidout is sexy! Lol

Op, even natural I'm still working on keeping the frizzies at bay depending on the style, it's a work in progress but I think u can do it. I noticed that when I take down bantu knots I have to be careful when separating them because thay makes them frizzy, I try to use coconut oil or something on my fingers to minimize it. Try it out one day.

Hi Lady R. I can't braid, but I can plat and do semi-flat twist. I do what I call plat out and twist outs. I have pics in my fotki. I cowash, DC, rinse, for plat out or twist out I use PM The Conditoiner for my leave-in, I've learned my AVJ, Glycerin sprtiz gives me too much moisture, for this style. Afterwards I twist or plat on wet hair add rollers to the ends and airdry or dry under my bonnet dryer. Then seal with jojoba oil. I live in these styles, plus flexi rods and buns.

my flat twists

my results from the flat twists

I dont have a good pic of the plats but imagine 8 Ms. Ceily plats with rollers, here's the result of my plat out:

I have a pic of my NG in my fotki that actually shows a top shot of the plats but its not a good pic so I didn't want to add it....Don't get discouraged, just keep trying, if you do go to my fotki you'll see the results from my first plat out/braid out is was BADDDD!!!! But I kept trying, flexi rods are good too, they can give a similar look. I don't want to hijack your thread with any more pics, so feel free to visit my fotki.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone,

I am airdrying my hair right now, I think that I'm going to use my flexirods tonight. I'm not going to give up on my braidout but I am going to wait for the weekend to try it again.

Back