Bantu Knot Out Disappointment

lonelysky

Baby Chick Gate 2011
A couple of weeks ago, I rocked a decent two strand twist out. It gave me lots of curl definition in places that were struggling. It was great.

So today, I thought that I could do a Bantu knot out. I did them a lot when I was relaxed and I got decent results, but the results were mixed. I got decent curl definition and moisture retention, but it looks a hot mess.

My hair is just clumpy and curly and doesn't seem to know what it wants to do.

4681b870-ab90-a132.jpg

Practice makes perfect. Next time will be better. Did you do the bantu knot out on wet or dry hair? What products did you use?

Same here! I was so mad that I took all that time doing then and it came out horrible. When I was heat damaged they were so nice! Now bantu knots are not even an option.

For some reason I think bantu knots work really nice on my hair when it's straight. It gives it a nice wave. When my hair is curly though, they suck.

Well like long legged life said I usually do two strand twist first and then knot on wet hair. Ive never tried EVOO with my knot out either. I apply moisturizer and then spray with leave in conditoner.

Keep practicing you'll get it. From looking at the results I wonder if your hair was fully detangled and if the knots were in tight. Also was your hair fully dry before you took them out. I have many natural styles go bad because I didn't let them dry all the way and my hair puffed up.

Keep practicing you'll get it. From looking at the results I wonder if your hair was fully detangled and if the knots were in tight. Also was your hair fully dry before you took them out. I have many natural styles go bad because I didn't let them dry all the way and my hair puffed up.

There's where I went wrong. I didn't fully detangle and a couple if the knots weren't dry.

Bantu knots won't have the definition they're supposed to have unless you let them fully dry. And I don't really think EVOO alone will give the style much hold or definition as it should have. You are better off doing it on wet hair with a cream that has hold and not removing until dry. Detangled before starting to twist the bantu knots is another thing that is needed.

I feel your pain...I'm not pleased with any of the "out" styles I've tried. Wish I had advice for ya but that ain't my domain, lol.

i do 2 strand twist than bantu knot (dry or damp) and get really lovely curls!
try with 2 stand twist!

I understand about doing a Bantu Knot Out and not being pleased with the result. I agree with some of the comments above. I did mine on my natural hair and it was wet. I let them completely dry...my curls were sooooo tight...I look like a tighter Black version of Shirlety Temple and I hated it. I said the next time I try this style, I will try it on dry straightened hair to get the effect I was looking for. I think that Bantu Knots give different people and different hair different looks...you just have to find out what works for you and practice does make perfect.

I hope you do not give up because I 'm not!

Next time add a gel, Organic Root Stimulating Gel or Ic Fantasia or something. You need something thats going to "set" the style. Try it again and update us.

Back