Ballerina Bun (Remix)

Zuleika

-
Staff member
BRAIDEDBUN.gif

Certainly you’ve racked up some mileage on Ballerina Bun Airlines. Perhaps you’re bored and want to put a new twist on things…? This is the perfect way to keep it simple + fresh. This could be amazing for those mornings you’re rushing to work, or you can pop in a sparkly bow where the bun and braid meet for an adorable holiday party updo! Quick, pretty and polished. Who doesn’t love that?
Photos by http://www.angelaandithyle.com Post designed by Kristin Ess

TOOLS: water based pomade, 2 clear elastic ponytail holders, a comb or teasing brush, bobby pins.
  1. Flip your head over and put a little bit of pomade at the root. I like to do this because it makes the hair easier to braid by giving a little bit of soft/flexible hold. Braids are less likely to slip out when you use this.
  2. With your head still flipped, braid from the base of your neck going up to the crown area. Stop where you want the bun to start.
  3. When you reach your stopping point with the braid, tie the 3 braid pieces off with a clear elastic.
  4. You should still be upside down at this point. Now gather all of your hair into a high ponytail. Flip right-side-up and make sure it’s centered, then tie it off with your other clear elastic.
  5. Tease the hair with a comb or a teasing brush.
  6. Pin it into a classic bun shape.

Omg my cuz & I used to do this in JHS. It's super cute on kinky hair imo because of the poofiness if the braid

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

For those that decide to do it with a bun: If you feel you don't have enough hair you can always add a few pieces in there to make it more full. I'd imagine you can add flowers and a puff instead of a bun. :look:

I wore my hair like this in jr. high and high school. I varied the look by doing a pomp(adour), bangs, and straw set on the top. :yep:

This is so cute. Thanks for sharing the tutorial! I wish I could braid. :ohwell: Maybe a flat twist would be cute too?

Wish my hair was a little longer to try this but may still try to make it work.

@3jsmom, I'm not sure how long your hair is, but you can pull off something similar. When my hair was only SL or full SL, I was able to do a similar style with twists. I've got a 5-head (much bigger than a forehead) so I like having "bangs" so I left some hair out in the front--not that in this case this did much good. :giggle: I tucked my braided tail under but if I hadn't, I might've been able to create a bun of sorts or used a clip as that shown here which can be expanded to look big or small depending on the look I was going for:
SimpleTwistUpdo-vi.jpg
ETA If I hadn't left bangs and braided a little more forward, that hair would be able to form a good sized bun because it's not being stretched back to leave just a little amount but its length would all be available to create the bun. So I think you can make the style work with even short hair. ;) Think of making a pony puff at the top of your head and just see how much hair you'd have to work with. :)

ETA: Zuleika, before I opened the thread and realized you were talking about the general ballerina bun, I thought you were referring to an old member (I don't know if she still posts) who used to go by that screen name. She's a ballerina too...so I thought you were going to share something about her hair and almost broke a finger running in to see. I wasn't disappointed though, even though I was sorry to see it was not about her. :grin:

Last edited:
sipp100
it looks so nice! you did a great job. it doesn't look messy to me. this is something i can try with a french twist until my hair gets longer. i am still growing out my layers.

I used to do this with my dd's hair. Her back was shorter than her front so I had to accomodate. I may try this on me. If so, I'll post.

DD#3 saw my bun and wanted her own, so I quickly gave her a remix-remix ballerina bun using two braids.
Her hair is longer and thicker than mine, so I need to practice ALOT more. I don't think I could even do it if her hair wasn't blow-dried. She doesn't like ginormous buns, so I braided all the hair in the ponytail and pinned it down.

picture.php

Side view:

picture.php

My hair is natural so I imagine that I would have to do this on wet hair with lots of conditioner. Will try after the holidays. Thanks for the idea! I've been looking for updos

So cute. My hair is straight right now, and I'm totally gonna try this before I wash back into my kinks. Thx for sharing!

sipp100 - your bun looks great! My hair is roller set & curly right now but I'll try it once I'm rocking straight hair. I can't even visually imagine how to pull off the upward braid as I rarely braid going downward, much less upward.

@sipp100
OMGOSH. Dazzling.

I Did My Daughters Hair In A Ballerina Bun This Morning But I'm Too Embarrassed To Post A Picture. The Back Braid Isn't So Dazzling.:sad:

RarityFluttershy

Thanks!

I had DD lean over towards me (upside down, with her crown facing the floor), and I braided it downward - just as I normally would. I'd still be standing there trying to get it right if she was stainding straight up. She complained, of course. :ohwell:

I would love to try this, bug I cant imagine braiding my own heir backwards. My hands would tangle. Lol but I think I may to this on DD tonight.

sipp100 - gorgeous! You and your daughter's hair looks fabulous!

divachyk - I used to braid my hair all the time back in the 90s, so I hope my fingers just kinda remember what to do!

I'll try this when I relax next week. Don't feel like fooling with trying to braid 13 weeks worth of newgrowth! :nono:

Back