Baking Soda/Water for Clarifying

princessdi

Does anyone know if the baking soda and water causes the hair to mat and/or tangle if you're 8 months or more post-relaxer? The detangling process is a chore now and I'd hate to have to deal with matting and tangling; however, I really need to clarify but I'm scared. Thanks.

I would suggest using baking soda mixed in conditioner, instead. The though of using just straight BS & water - I dunno about that, sis. :nono: Esp 8 months post? :ohwell: Going with a 'regular' clarifying shampoo might really be your best bet, though.

Does anyone know if the baking soda and water causes the hair to mat and/or tangle if you're 8 months or more post-relaxer? The detangling process is a chore now and I'd hate to have to deal with matting and tangling; however, I really need to clarify but I'm scared. Thanks.

A resounding yes to the bold--for me anyway. My hair got rough, smelled like I had relaxer in it, and felt really dry. Baking soda did to my hair what alkalines are supposed to do: raise the cuticle on each strand so that my hair tangled more easily and was no longer smooth and slippery. I did it once and I will never do it again.

I never got that result in fact I clarify with Baking soda twice a month. However I use like a teaspoon of it and mix it in warm water 4 cups and massage in my hair. I then let it sit to lift all the nasty stuff off of my scalp. Guess it just goes to show you thaty Baking soda does different things for different people. Good luck with your hair endeavors....:ohwell:

I never got that result in fact I clarify with Baking soda twice a month. However I use like a teaspoon of it and mix it in warm water 4 cups and massage in my hair. I then let it sit to lift all the nasty stuff off of my scalp. Guess it just goes to show you thaty Baking soda does different things for different people. Good luck with your hair endeavors....:ohwell:
I do the same, I just let it sit a couple of minutes though. It's so true, everything isn't for everybody. I've seen things people do to their hair here with WONDERFUL results but tears my hair out of my head!

I would suggest using baking soda mixed in conditioner, instead. The though of using just straight BS & water - I dunno about that, sis. :nono: Esp 8 months post? :ohwell: Going with a 'regular' clarifying shampoo might really be your best bet, though.

Thanks girl. Being 8 months post worries me about the straight BS & water too. Maybe I'll stick with the regular chelating or clarifying shampoo.

A resounding yes to the bold--for me anyway. My hair got rough, smelled like I had relaxer in it, and felt really dry. Baking soda did to my hair what alkalines are supposed to do: raise the cuticle on each strand so that my hair tangled more easily and was no longer smooth and slippery. I did it once and I will never do it again.

Thanks, point well taken. I've come a long way to suffer a set back.

Have you tried using cider vinegar? It has a lower pH balance than the baking soda so it shouldn't cause too much mating.

Have you tried using cider vinegar? It has a lower pH balance than the baking soda so it shouldn't cause too much mating.

Praisedancer is right: apple cider vinegar does have a low pH and does close the cuticle on your hair strands so that they are smoother. This is why I use it as a final rinse. But please be sure to dilute it well. Err on the side of caution and use 1/4 or 1/8 cup in a gallon of water. I usually add essential oils of lavendar and rosemary to my rinse, but you don't have to.

Now to clarify, I don't think ACV would be a good choice. I think you're better off getting a product that is meant for that. I believe baking soda in shampoo does that for people--which is what made me try it--but I don't use that many products on my hair and so I probably didn't need any stripping product. Still, I'd be afraid to try baking soda only because how much is safe would be hard to determine. Getting a clarifying shampoo that others use, however, I'd think, would be getting something that has been tested and tried or it would not be a product that's still being used--especially by LHCFers. :)

Now after you clarify, it would be a good idea to follow the conditioning step with an ACV rinse to ensure your strands are returned to their normal state.

Back