Bah! Half my hair is underprocessed! Plus revelations, looong!

metalkitty

Hi everyone, I'll probably have to bump this post up sometime in the week to get more responses. Long story short I got my hair relaxed last month after a six month stretch. I was nervous because my hairdresser decided to put relaxer all over my 'texlaxed' hair, but I wanted my hair to be a little straighter anyway (since it seemed more underprocessed than texlaxed in the way I had no curl/ wave definition, just frizz and poof).
Anyway, it came out pretty nice surprisingly at first, although I should've took a clue when she said I didn't have enough relaxer when she was in the process of applying. After a few washes I notice that the left half of my hair is just the way I like it, straight but still with body. The bad part was that the right half was underprocessed I assume since it's not as straight, frizzier, drier, and I swear I can feel splits forming although I just trimmed.
I think I finally figured out why my hair has been getting split ends mad easilly and thus unable to retain much length all these years... The underprocessing.
So my question is how do I go about fixing the right underprocessed length of my hair without my stylists overprocessing the rest of my hair? I'm seriously worried she might try and apply relaxer all over my hair again, although I got it just the way I like... Should I tell her to only relax the newgrowth, then the right length of my hair next time? When should I get the corrector done, my next due relaxer or sooner since I can feel splits forming already on the right side? Until I get my hair corrected and/or relaxed again, what should I do to fight the split ends that are about to form? Right now I'm baggying most nights and trying to make sure to keep my hair clean and moisturized at all times. It doesn't seem to be enough though.

Thanks for the really speedy reply, Brownie! The main reason I made this new thread is to let others who feel like they're doing everything right but aren't making progress, that it might be due to texlaxing or underprocessing not being right for them.
Plus I wasn't sure if there were other threads specifically towards certain regions of the hair being underprocessed... I guess I'll do a better search, but if anyone has any imput or personal experiences to put in this thread, that'd be great too.

Gymfreak started an excellent thread(a support thread) about doing a corrective relaxer. There are tips througout the thread on how a corrective is done without overprocessing and how to manage underprocessed hair.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=122927&highlight=corrective

Also with respect to how to manage/minimize splits, just keep your hair protected(baggying is good), keep hair moisturized, minimize or eliminate combing, minimize or eliminate heat usage and deep condition your hair at least once a week. HTH!

Thanks for the link Nixx! That helps a quite a bit. My hair isn't severely underprocessed in the sense it's texturized or almost natural, but I was wondering if there's a general time range to correct somewhat overprocessed hair? I use ORS No Lye. I wish I had a memory card for my digital camera to show the extent of the underprocessing since it's probably really hard to guess without pics. But I just wanted to know a general range if possible....

Back