Baggying?

Avyn

I am new and I am a little confused about baggying. I've read that people do it after they wash their hair, then I've read that people do at night when their hair is dry. What is the right way? Also, if you do it on dry hair, what is the purpose of the baggy, couldn't you just tie it up in a scarf? ...and doing it on dry hair would seem to make your hair really greasy.

jdub said:
I am new and I am a little confused about baggying. I've read that people do it after they wash their hair, then I've read that people do at night when their hair is dry. What is the right way? Also, if you do it on dry hair, what is the purpose of the baggy, couldn't you just tie it up in a scarf? ...and doing it on dry hair would seem to make your hair really greasy.

All of ur answers were right: Individuals (myself as well) wash our hair and once it's dried: we baggy our hair in a ponytail. Other individuals (myself as well) during the day: will wear a protective style and at night baggy their whole head or ponytail and in the morning: once their hair is dry: they'll put it back into a protective style (buns, clips, up dos, etc) Any way is the right way. The purpose is to protect ur ends: since they tend to be the driest and break more easily: keeping them moist in a plastic bag prevents breakage: EX: if ur hair grew 4 inches and you keep ur hair moist w/ not even a single mm breaking off: you achieved some serious length: You could tie it up in a scarf but it all depends on how well u kno ur ends will break or not break. I doesn't make ur hair greasy at all: ur hair will become damp: The purpose is to saturate ur hair w/ a moisturizer: and if thats not enough: individuals (myself as well) add oil on top of the moisturizer: it keeps it from drying up real fast. ~HTH~

I don't think there's a right or wrong way of baggying, hence the variety of ways you've come across. Everyone just does what works for them. You'll have to try each one to see which one you like.

The reason curly/kinky hair is dryer than straight hair is because the sebum (natural oils) produced by our scalp that would otherwise keep it moisturized, cannot travel down the strand as easily as they do in folks with straight hair. That's why people with straight hair could go for days without applying anything to their hair and it'd still get so oily that they'd need to wash.

To answer your question, I have to make sure I understand what you mean. Dry hair that has moisturizer of some sort on it can be baggied just as it is. The oils will melt because of the heat of the cap and that explains why people's hair feels damp when they take the baggy out. I believe the scalp pores open up too releasing more sebum + sweat and that could account for the wetness too. I don't know if anyone ever gets a greasy feeling; my experience has been more of wet/watery/damp feeling.

Dry hair that has nothing on it will also feel damp when you remove the baggy due to pores having been opened thanks to the heat of the cap. Assuming that no-product baggiers condition their hair during frequent washes, I would guess that some of the moisture also comes from the thin coating of conditioner their hair gets from CO washes or DC or just regular conditioning.

Nonie said:
The reason curly/kinky hair is dryer than straight hair is because the sebum (natural oils) produced by our scalp that would otherwise keep it moisturized, cannot travel down the strand as easily as they do in folks with straight hair. That's why people with straight hair could go for days without applying anything to their hair and it'd still get so oily that they'd need to wash.

you explained the reason why our curl hair is dry better than anyone i kno: u should write a book

Back