Baggying and hair thickness.

Lusa

This is a slight spin-off from the “What does baggying do for you” thread. Some members have attributed the baggy method/technique to increased thickness. My question is why is that? What is it about baggying that would lead to thickness?

Thanks in advance ladies.

Uhmm...I'm guessing that by keeping hair moist and in a bag, the hair cuticles are coated and protected from enduring friction with clothes that would cause wear and tear, and prevented from drying which again would expose the cuticles making them vulnerable.

When hair cuticles are unprotected by a moisturizer, serum, baggy...any friction the strands experience leads to raised cuticles and that start to rip. Hence the reason people that don't bun or take extra care of their ends, find they have split ends. Since cuticles run along the entire length of the hair, I'm guessing that the more exposed to wear and tear they are, the more likely they are to go from lying flat

image008.jpg

to being slightly raised:

image004.jpg

then this:

hair_twh_35_02.jpg

and if cuticles continue to split away, then the cortex is no longer protected, meaning split ends are inevitable and your hair thins.

By bagging, you keep hair protected from the wear and tear.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :lol:

(Photographs borrowed from the The World of Hair - courtesy of P & G Hair Care Research Center)

Last edited:
Nonie said:
Uhmm...I'm guessing that by keeping hair moist and in a bag, the hair cuticles are coated and protected from enduring friction with clothes that would cause

wear and tear, and prevented from drying which again would expose the cuticles making them vulnerable.

When hair cuticles are unprotected by a moisturizer, serum, baggy...any friction the strands experience leads to raised cuticles and that start to rip. Hence the reason people that don't bun or take extra care of their ends, find they have split ends. Since cuticles run along the entire length of the hair, I'm guessing that the more exposed to wear and tear they are, the more likely you are to go from lying flat

image008.jpg

to being slightly raised:

image004.jpg

then this:

hair_twh_35_02.jpg

and if cuticles continue to split away, then the cortex is no longer protected, meaning split ends are inevitable and your hair thins.

By bagging, you keep hair protected from the wear and tear.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :lol:

(Photographs borrowed from the The World of Hair - courtesy of P & G Hair Care Research Center)
Good info.

Back