BAD tangles at roots & knots at ends! 11 wks post - What should I do?

NoNapNique

I have 4a/4b hair and it it is getting very badly tangled at the roots w/ knots at the ends... my new growth is becoming more coily and it is starting to twist. I did a DC yesterday, then let it air dry with carrot oil... and even today I am STILL afraid to get in there and comb thru my hair! It is too thick and tangled (I think it was that TERRIBLE Aveda Sap Moss Cond.) I have only managed to separate the tangles with my fingers... I was thinking at this stage (11 wks post) I should cut out the CO wash and just do my weekly poo/deep cond. to avoid having to manipulate my hair... And only separating the tangles with my fingers as best I can.

My question for those who get bad tangles - how do you deal with it? Are you EVER able to comb all the way thru your hair (root to end) when it gets like that, or do you just do what you can?

OR-

Should I just go ahead and relax my hair at this point? Because I don't know if it will be worth it to stretch.

Have you tried conditioner washing your hair in sections. I found this helps a lot with detangling especially since I am transitioning. Paul Mitchell's The Detangler works very well on my hair when I have a lot of tangles. I let the water run down on that particular section and use a Jibere shower comb and soft comb thru each section. I am sure there are cheaper detanglers out there.

After I get out of the shower Wild Growth Oil helps tame my new growth.

Maybe instead of airdrying (which causes tangles for me) you could put your hair in some magnetic rollers and let airdry this way. You hair should dry smoother.

These are things that helped me in the past.

HTH

I have this problem is I don't use a good shampoo and conditioner. I am about 12 weeks post now.

Have you tried CON or something similar? I have used that and my current one Kenra Platinum for Thick and Coarse Hair. The latter is a bit pricey just to try, so CON should help. I prefer the Ultra Moisturizing but any of them may be helpful.

It also helps if I wash my hair in the shower and let the water run though that way. I can just finger comb out tangles while rinsing out the CON, but a big tooth comb can work as well.

I feel your pain. I did a braid-out a few days ago and had nothing but knots and tangles because of my thick and nappy new growth. I went ahead and blow-dryed and used the ceramic iron for the first time in MONTHS. My hair looks great!

I would suggest not combing your hair while it's dry. If you feel the blow-dryer and ceramic iron are too much heat, try roller setting (after washing/conditioning) and either blow-drying or flat ironing the new growth. This works well...until the next time you wash your hair. Air-drying is what I usually do. I can comb through my hair while it's wet after spraying a light conditioning spray and slapping on some leave in conditioner. Then I usually set my hair in a twist out.

I don't condition wash as much when my new growth is out of control. I am unable to slick my hair up into a bun since it's layered. If I did, I would probably condition wash more when I am weeks and weeks post relaxer.

But hey, if you need to relax, go ahead. Some people are unable to stretch; 11 weeks is almost 3 months!

yep, i've been there. this only happens when i am stretching and I use the aphogee trtmnt. what i did is use the CON poo, and detangled while under running water...this was the easiest way although i did have to cut out 4 or 5 knots. detangle with a comb, and i'd suggest you to blowdry the roots if you are this many weeks post so they wont be tangled and hard when they dry....

What products are you using? I've found that certain products are a MUST for me when stretching my relaxers. I've actually gone 5.5 months before with minimal hair shedding. Rusk Smoother is a GREAT detangler for stretching relaxers. I have a few more reccs also.

In order for me to make it from week 9 to week 12 a detangling poo and con are a MUST for me. Here's the important part: once I detangle in the shower I do NOT comb root to tip again until I wash again. I wear a air dried bun, ponytail or flex rod set. Any no combing required style will work. It will keep you from getting tangles and losing hair. Since I know I don't comb again till wash day I wash more frequently if I feel I gotta change my style or need to comb. I think that's the key to stretching relaxers, at least this works for me.

Like some others have said, CON is great. In the past few weeks, I have tried conditoners that have literally left me with almost dreaded hair. I would put leave-ins, oils, etc, but nothing worked except for clarifying (to get the product out) and then using CON in the shower. The tangles were soooo much easier to get out after that. CON is always my hair's life saver. if I didn't have CON, I don't know what my hair would be like now from the tangles, knots, and dreads I got from some conditoners. CON's my baby. LOL. I always run to it in times of emergency and it has never failed me.

I love this option, I have been using that mtg/surge mix, and new growth it out of control, previously no matter what I did when washed hair it would be knotted and matted after second poo, so decided to do that four section thang, with braiding ends, dont think I will revert back, I dont lose as much as previously did...

lkg4healthyhair said:
Have you tried conditioner washing your hair in sections. I found this helps a lot with detangling especially since I am transitioning. Paul Mitchell's The Detangler works very well on my hair when I have a lot of tangles. I let the water run down on that particular section and use a Jibere shower comb and soft comb thru each section. I am sure there are cheaper detanglers out there.

After I get out of the shower Wild Growth Oil helps tame my new growth.

Maybe instead of airdrying (which causes tangles for me) you could put your hair in some magnetic rollers and let airdry this way. You hair should dry smoother.

These are things that helped me in the past.

HTH

NoNapNique said:
I have 4a/4b hair and it it is getting very badly tangled at the roots w/ knots at the ends... my new growth is becoming more coily and it is starting to twist. I did a DC yesterday, then let it air dry with carrot oil... and even today I am STILL afraid to get in there and comb thru my hair! It is too thick and tangled (I think it was that TERRIBLE Aveda Sap Moss Cond.) I have only managed to separate the tangles with my fingers... I was thinking at this stage (11 wks post) I should cut out the CO wash and just do my weekly poo/deep cond. to avoid having to manipulate my hair... And only separating the tangles with my fingers as best I can.

My question for those who get bad tangles - how do you deal with it? Are you EVER able to comb all the way thru your hair (root to end) when it gets like that, or do you just do what you can?

OR-

Should I just go ahead and relax my hair at this point? Because I don't know if it will be worth it to stretch.

I'm at 15 weeks post right now, and for me the CO washes actually help with keeping my hair supple and detangled. The longer I let my hair go between washes, the more tangled and unruly it is.
I was having a nightmare of an issue with tangles earlier this month and the girls here put me up on Paul Mitchell's The Detangler. This stuff combined with thorough cold water rinsing has made detangling a dream for me. I would definitely recommend putting 2 or 3 dollops of PM The Detangler in your con mix and deep conditioning w/ heat. Since I started using the PM The Detangler and CO washing mid week, my tangle & breakage issues are a thing of the past!!! :D
Maybe you could try starting gently at the tip and working your way up top while applying detangler to each section as you work through it.
A lot of ladies swear by pooing/CO washing in braided sections. I've never done this so I can't speak from experience, but it is definitely worth a shot if you've got big tangle issues.
HTH...

I used to have this problem around the 4-5th month mark - it was like clockwork. Then I had to reevaluate what I was doing. These are the things that have helped me get to the 21 months without a relaxer:

1. Stop combing with only a wide-toothed comb. I was only combing with the Jilbere shower comb and the comb just glided through my hair so I thought everything was cool ... UNTIL ... one day that comb hit one a HUGE tangle where the newgrowth and relaxed hair met. Then I started going through my hair and found a whole bunch of knots from small - big. So that's when I stopped using only the Jilbere Shower comb and started using a medium and fine-toothed comb.

2. Put hair in at least 6 braids before washing.

3. Comb in small sections (and I do mean small). There is no way that you will be able to go through 4a/b hair without sectioning your hair before you comb it.

4. Wash hair more often (especially if you have a no-lye relaxer) whether it's conditioner washing or with shampoo and conditioner.

When I follow these things, I have no problem with big tangles. Once I do something different I have an unnecessary setback. Hopefully some of the suggestions will help you.

When you all say CON I assume you are referring to Cream of Nature. Are you referring to the conditioner or shampoo? Am I right in thinking you are talking about the conditioner? Which one of their conditioners? TIA.

tryn2growmyhair said:
When you all say CON I assume you are referring to Cream of Nature. Are you referring to the conditioner or shampoo? Am I right in thinking you are talking about the conditioner? Which one of their conditioners? TIA.

ooops! Sorry... I meant to say Cream of Nature Shampoo Ultra Moisturizing. And now after reading your post and everyone else's I can see how it's confusing and now I'm confused as to what everyone was talking about too! lol.

1. Make sure that you are using the tips of your fingers concentrating on the scalp area, DO NOT wash the length of your hair vigorously because this can cause bad tangling.
2. maybe doing a pre-poo w/EVOO or your favorite moisturizing/detangling conditioner before pooing will help.
3. I too like to use a medium tooth comb to comb through my hair on wash day, it just help me from getting tangles, the Jilbere for me is good but it doesn't help me w/detangling those small knots, and adding conditioner while using your fingers to remove one strand at a time has worked wonders for me one time I had this problem.
4. Always comb from the ENDS UP.
5. ITA on the ACV rinse, I believe it gives softness and a good shine along w/the help of detangling.
HTH

Back