Bad experience with Keracare...

lonei

Hi everyone

I recently relaxed my hair which these days comes out texlaxed. I have been perfecting my regimen and wanted to start using one line exclusively. There is not much choice in the UK and I have heard good things about Keracare so I deceided to invest in it.

I relaxed with Motions Salons herbal and used all the counter parts but instead of using my usual Salerm 21 to detangle (my hair gets really matted after I relax as I normally wash in platted sections on wash days) I used Keracare leave in conditioner. Something that normally takes 5-10 minutes took close to 45 minutes. To make matters worse I used the Keracare setting lotion diluted and then rollerset my hair. After 2 hours under the dryer, my mum said 'your hair looks natural plus', I was so vex. It was dry, hard and frizzy, I had to resort to using my flat iron (which I hate) just so it could look half decent. It looked quite nice afterwards as I used the Keracare Essential oils and didnt iron it all the way to the ends, I pin curled it and went to bed.

In the morning all the curls were gone and the texture felt like I had used a 'setting lotion' rather than a creamy leave in, I was very surprised that all the curls had totally disappered especailly since setting lotions are supposed to hold the curl.

Maybe these 2 Keracare products are not suitable for hair that is not relaxed bone straight. I am hoping that the shampoo and conditioner is a bit more promising, I do like their Oil sheen that fights humidity. Has anyone had similar problems with Keracare? Please state whether you are relaxed, texlaxed, texturized, transitioning or natural. Thanks.

I wasn't impressed with Keracare. I used the poo, conditioner, and Moisturizer w/ Joboa oil. The shampoo and conditioner did nothing spectacular. One of the best pictures in my foki of my hair before and after wash is with Kenra. So I believe very shortly I will be purchasing Kenra. The moisturizer didn't seem to absorb into my hair. I am now using ORS moisturizer and I am very pleased.

I guess I need to update but for me Keracare was a miss!

I am finishing the last of the Keracare shampoo and conditioner. I didn't like it much either and I haven't noticed any improvement in my hair. It was a total bust.

:( Wow. It's amazing how products do different things for different people. I love the Creme Humecto and Hydrating Detangling Shampoo (and the color treated shampoo). I have never used any of the other products though- I dont have a need for them. I am relaxed but my hair has tons of texture.

WOW! :confused: I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with Keracare. I have natural hair now but when I was relaxed I never had any problems with it. It works very good for me now that I am a natural too. I guess it is true about everything not being for everybody!

Honestly I'm not sure if the leave in is as good as the shampoo and humecto. It's good but not on that level.

In my opinion the best two products in the line are the Hydrating Detangling Shampoo and the Humecto Conditioner. That is it! I used to use the setting lotion but, I started noticing that it seemed like soon as I stepped outside my roots would revert, and I don't remember noticing that when I used Lottabody.

I have probably tried 90% of the Keracare Products and the only two that I have settled on are the Hydrating Detangling Shampoo and Humecto Conditioner. The Humecto had to grow on me but, I really like it now, its a staple. I recently poured the rest of the setting lotion down the drain.

Hey Sorry to Hear That:(

From the Keracare line I only use the Hydrating Shampoo, and the Humecto Conditioner. I find that their other products are not worth it for the buck. Maybe you should swamp hair products on LHCFfor something that wil work for u.

Lorraine

What about Keracare's setting foam?? I have the foam setting solution, and it seems to work okay for me.

I haven't compared it with Lottabody though.

andreab said:
I wasn't impressed with Keracare. I used the poo, conditioner, and Moisturizer w/ Joboa oil. The shampoo and conditioner did nothing spectacular. One of the best pictures in my foki of my hair before and after wash is with Kenra. So I believe very shortly I will be purchasing Kenra. The moisturizer didn't seem to absorb into my hair. I am now using ORS moisturizer and I am very pleased.

I guess I need to update but for me Keracare was a miss!

Which Kenra products do you like.

I use the Platinum line for coarse hair, but it has gotten to expensive to use every 3 days as i would like.

I do like Keracare's detangling shampoo and for flat-ironing the silken seal blowdry complex

HoneyDew said:
Which Kenra products do you like.

I use the Platinum line for coarse hair, but it has gotten to expensive to use every 3 days as i would like.

I do like Keracare's detangling shampoo and for flat-ironing the silken seal blowdry complex

Yeah silken seal is AWESOME. It is worth every buck! I use it to flat iron my hair. I think it's better than Redkin's smooth down!

Lonei, I've been using Keracare products for years. I like most of their products, but a couple I don't like, such as that leave in conditioner. That stuff is too thick and oily. I believe it has mineral oil in it too, which is why it just sits on your hair and makes it stiff. I think using that along with the setting lotion was too much for your hair even though it's texlaxed (sp?). Oh, and I'm relaxed, but a while back when I used the leave in conditioner my hair was more texturized I think. I know it wasn't bone straight.

I don't like the Keracare Foam Setting Lotion, it tangles and stiffens my hair.

I do love the dry/itchy scalp poo & con and also the silken seal.

Sorry to hear this. Most of Keracare products: Silken Seal, Leave In Conditioner, Humecto are HORRIBLE on my hair, too heavy. However, the Foam Wrap Set Lotion is a miracle on my hair.

The good news is, now you know and eventually you will find products that work, you'll stick with them.

You should use the setting foam, not the lotion. It is 100 times better. I don't use setting lotions anymore, but when I did, I found this to be the best. It did not make my hair hard.

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience, lonei. :( I wasn't very impressed with the KeraCare line, either. For the price, I expected a lot more out of it. I've found that some of my cheaper drug store poo's & conditioners work better for my hair than KeraCare.

goldensensation said:
:( Wow. It's amazing how products do different things for different people. I love the Creme Humecto and Hydrating Detangling Shampoo (and the color treated shampoo). I have never used any of the other products though- I dont have a need for them. I am relaxed but my hair has tons of texture.

I agree. That creme humecto is the best stuff on earth. I don't use another conditioner. My shampoo products may change but the conditioner stays the same.

I think you used too much stuff... A leave in AND setting lotion may have been too much for your hair. I know with my hair less is more. Also Are you using the conditioner in the tub or the bottle? They are 2 different consistencies and 2 different ph's. You may want to try them again seperately. But alas if it doesnt not work for you dont waste your money move on.

I haven't used the leave-in or the setting lotion, but the Shampoo and Humecto Conditioner were dissapointing. I guess it just didn't work with my hair (I used while transitioning and neither my relaxed nor natural hair liked it).

Thanks ladies, it really does seem that from the varied responses, different things work for different people. I just hope the shampoo and conditioner work for me, otherwise I'm back 1 square one. From now on I will go back to detangling with Salerm 21 and setting my hair with Neutrogea Triple Moisture Silk Touch leave in. It seems that sometimes (in my case), if something is working for you, its best not to deviate.

Back