Bad Color Showers Incident - Need A Quick Fix - HELP!

Which brand should I use?

• Clairol Jazzings

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Natural Instincts

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Adore

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please post what brand it is & where to find it)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

filthyfresh

Long story short, I used Color Showers in Red Copper (Cobre) and it didn't turn out like I wanted. I allowed my stylist to put it in & I don't think she mixed it well enough because it is olive oil-based so it really needs a good shaking. She just poured it in the color bowl and applied it.

So I ended up with yellow/gold/green (in some light) tinged hair. I wanted it to be slightly red. One of my co-workers (a part-time licensed stylist) said that I should use a red (preferrably a #5) to get rid of the green/yellow color. So, I was thinking of just going to the BSS and grabbing some Jazzing, Natural Instincts, or something. What brand should I use?

ETA: Color Showers did provide great shine and softness to my hair & I would definitely use them again. Just not that particular color. I can't really afford another bottle at the moment so that's why I wanted to use another brand that I could have access to quickly.

Last edited:
i say try something in Clairol's beautiful collection. No ammonia or peroxide and it tells you what the base is on the bottle. You should be able to get it at Wlagreens or any BSS for less than $5

i say try something in Clairol's beautiful collection. No ammonia or peroxide and it tells you what the base is on the bottle. You should be able to get it at Wlagreens or any BSS for less than $5

Thank you & your hair is gorgeous.

Last edited:
You are quite welcome!

Yes, it is a rinse and will wash out. Another plus, it doesnt stain your sheets like I've read that Jazzing does.

One mo' thang...lol

My hair is naturally quite black and in the pics in my siggy my hair has Clairol in Warm Dark Brown in it. I use it to cover my grays.

My hair is naturally dark brown so if I do the reddish colors it should show up right?
I am SO glad to hear that it doesn't stain like Jazzings.
That was one of my main concerns.

My hair is naturally dark brown so if I do the reddish colors it should show up right?
I am SO glad to hear that it doesn't stain like Jazzings.
That was one of my main concerns.

I would assume so but I'm no color expert. I think it may depend on the base. If you usee a color with a red base, you will be more likely to get the result you want.

I have no advice but i'm sorry that happened to you. What do plan to do with the bottle of color showers?

Wow, I've never heard of anyone's hair turning "yellow/gold/green" from a red rinse.... Sorry you have to deal w/ this... no recs for a "fix", but good luck!

I have no advice but i'm sorry that happened to you. What do plan to do with the bottle of color showers?

IDK really. Maybe sell it to someone who had better luck with Red Copper. Or someone who wants to try it out. It's still nearly full. I also don't think she used enough product. Or I may try it out myself again. I've noticed parts of my scalp are Red Copper. LOL. But for right now, it's just sitting here on my desk looking lonely & unloved. :lachen:

Filthy Fresh,

Hey hair cuz, I'm glad you're getting some good advice. I'm not good with color and I'm actually kind of afraid of it so I have no good advice to offer besides the whole henna/indigo kick. It seems like you've gotten some good replies already. Let me know how this turns out!

I would buy some pure red rinse and some brown rinse and use a mix of the the two. The brown would help cancel out any possible orange that could develop from the mix of the red and yellow.

I would buy some pure red rinse and some brown rinse and use a mix of the the two. The brown would help cancel out any possible orange that could develop from the mix of the red and yellow.

I ended up buying Clairol Beautiful Collection in Amethyst. It's a deep brown-red-plum type thing happening. Thanks for the advice though. I'll try that next time. :yep:

UPDATE :gorgeous:

So I used the Clairol Beautiful Collection in Amethyst & I LOVE this stuff. :cupidarrow:

I pre-pooed overnight with Nacidit Olive Oil Conditioner and Suave Milk & Honey Conditioner. Got up and rinsed. I managed to get rid of my dandruff & that yellowy color on my scalp (thanks to Elasta QP Dandruff Poo :yep:). Then I pooed again with Elucence. I knew I needed some moisture & protein so I DC/Protein Treated my hair with Palmer's Coconut Oil Deep Conditioning Protein Treatment under the dryer for almost 30 min. I rinsed that out and set up everything for my color.

I'm never going back to my stylist for color ever again. :giggle: I also didn't get any color stains around my hair line or in my scalp (at least in the front). :drunk: I used Vaseline around my edges and ears to prevent that. I also put Vaseline in the sink, NOT DOWN THE DRAIN. I rubbed it in the surface of the sink so it left a film to prevent my white sink from being stained by the color. It easily comes out with Pine-Sol. Anyway, I used 1 1/3 bottles, mainly because I have a big head & a lot of hair. LOL. After that I rinsed it out, put in my leave-ins & styled as usual. Here's the finished product.

PIC-0157.jpg

Thanks for everyone's help. :grin:

Hmmm.. see that cobre is straight going back!!! I'm going to email them and they're going to send some black out to me!! This is crazy! You don't play with people's hair color ... what the ELL are they thinking over there.

Back