BACK and MIDDLE is SOO Short

SophieDulce

I was wondering does anyone else have this problem, the middle of the back part of my hair is sooo short, like over my hair is like 12 inches... but the middle part of my hair is only 6 inches.. it looks so weird? it also seems like it grows slower than the rest of my hair....

any suggestions?

Hi Sophie!

From your length descriptions, I'm guessing that your hair reaches SL, maybe a little longer?

When my hair first reached SL, I had a drastic difference in length like you describe. My hemline looked like a "W" from the breakage that occurred from my hair rubbing along my shoulders and collars. I suggest wearing styles that ensure your ends are protected.

Thanks soo much for responding, yes I'm about shoulder length curly and a little past apl when straightend. Lol my hair is exactly like a W and it looks so odd. I'm going to try to start doing more protective styles hopefully that will help:)

SophieDulce:

How do you sleep at night?? Back, side, or stomach??
Do you wrap your hair up at night?
If so, What type of scarf do you use??
Are you relaxed or natural?

Last edited:
My hair is like this too and I'm natural with plenty of shrinkage: I can't see a reason for it. I've never straightened my hair, don't have significantly more breakage there than any other areas... I don't get it. The sides of my hair are apl, but the middle back (crown?) is still at cbl!
The crown area is I slightly different texture to the rest, do you have the same? May this could be why?

I don't think my hair is as drastic as some of you are describing. But the hair on the sides of my head is 8 inches long, while the hair at my nape and through the back of my head is about 6.

I don't know why this is. I am assuming it's because I have no neck (ehem) so the hair in the back touches/rubs my clothes sooner than the hair on the sides?

My hair in the shorter areas is also a very different texture... while my hair is wavy curls mostly, the hair at my nape and up through the back of my head is coily. And while the ends of my hair in the front and on the sides always seem smooth, the hair in the short hair always feels rough on the ends.

I'm thinking it's a combination of me not doing enough to take care of that area, as it needs more care than the rest of my head, and the hair rubbing my clothes.

I do NOT get much shrinkage, so even when my hair is curly, that area in the back touches the collar of my shirt.

@ Drc

My hair is natural, Is sleep kind of hybrid side stomach thing...lol

I alternate between satin and silk scarf..

My hair is like this too and I'm natural with plenty of shrinkage: I can't see a reason for it. I've never straightened my hair, don't have significantly more breakage there than any other areas... I don't get it. The sides of my hair are apl, but the middle back (crown?) is still at cbl!
The crown area is I slightly different texture to the rest, do you have the same? May this could be why?

The lower part of middle back crown, is like a VERY fine 3b, but a little further up the middle back part is like 4b, and it always dry! no matter what I do. Overall i'd say my hair is like 4A... It just crazy that I have almost a 6 inch length difference between the side of the back part, Closer to the ears, as compared to the middle.. Im going to try to post some pic to give a more accurate description.

YOU ARE lucky :))) lol..I have so much shrinkage..I have to almost always stretch my hair out b4 doing any styling because it will look like its 2 inches.
One day I did a wash and go and my hair looked like it was 3 inches long..

Then the next day i blew it out, and the same lady at the grocery store was giving me the side eye.. when a lady was asking me what my hair routine was..I know the cashier thought i had a weave in, lol!

Plus it makes my styling crazy.. if i do a twist and curl thing, it looks like a i have this crazy bob hybrid thing going on..lol

I don't think my hair is as drastic as some of you are describing. But the hair on the sides of my head is 8 inches long, while the hair at my nape and through the back of my head is about 6.

I don't know why this is. I am assuming it's because I have no neck (ehem) so the hair in the back touches/rubs my clothes sooner than the hair on the sides?

My hair in the shorter areas is also a very different texture... while my hair is wavy curls mostly, the hair at my nape and up through the back of my head is coily. And while the ends of my hair in the front and on the sides always seem smooth, the hair in the short hair always feels rough on the ends.

I'm thinking it's a combination of me not doing enough to take care of that area, as it needs more care than the rest of my head, and the hair rubbing my clothes.

I do NOT get much shrinkage, so even when my hair is curly, that area in the back touches the collar of my shirt.

OP I say that the big texture difference in the middle is the culprit. When I first started out my journey I couldn't figure out why my middle was much shorter then the rest. My hair is 4a except the middle is 4b and always dry.once I focused on that area more and always made sure it was well moisturized, that area thrived. All my hair still isn't even and that's only because im not ready to cut the rest of my hair even with the middle.

@ Drc

My hair is natural, Is sleep kind of hybrid side stomach thing...lol

I alternate between satin and silk scarf..

I used to sleep on my side and that would be the the slowest part of my hair to grow. I figured when sleeping on a particular side, your head receives a little less blood circulation for a full 7 to 8 hours ( unless you're a tosser). My crown is the shortest since I sleep on my back now.
Or it could also be the texture of hair. My crown area is a totally different texture.
Just my theory.

OP I say that the big texture difference in the middle is the culprit. When I first started out my journey I couldn't figure out why my middle was much shorter then the rest. My hair is 4a except the middle is 4b and always dry.once I focused on that area more and always made sure it was well moisturized, that area thrived. All my hair still isn't even and that's only because im not ready to cut the rest of my hair even with the middle.
halocj, ITA w/ all of this. I just got 2.5" cut trynna even this mess out (see siggy). :wallbash: The whole middle of my head, from crown to nape, is just not. listening. I'm glad I got it cut, but now I'm worried that I'll just do whatever it is all over again. :nono: I'm ps'ing with flexirods until I feel confident.

Back