Baby Steps: My Very First Progress Pics

DSP

[Disclaimer: For the 2nd photo, DH used a flash, so there's a shadow on the wall in front of me.]

Hair type: Natural, cottony 4b

year1backbk1.jpg

This is only the second time I've used heat in 12 months. I kept the temp on my Sedu flat-iron at 280 degrees out of paranoia.:rolleyes: It's not very straight, but you can still see some progress.

Next week I will be trimming 1/2 inch from the top layers and 1 inch from the bottom. I usually wear my hair in an up-swept twistout or braidout, but I'd love to wear long curled layers someday.

Why my hair was so torn up: I had undiagnosed Graves Disease for 2+ years which caused my hair to break off & stop growing. My thyroid levels were in the "normal" range, so it took 4 different doctors to figure out what was wrong (normal for most people isn't normal for me). After my diagnosis, I had radiation treatment (June 2006) which caused even more hair loss.

Regimen
Shampoo: Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap (2x/week)
Clarifier: Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo (1x/month)
Conditioner: Nexxus Humectress (1x/week)
DC: Nexxus Humectin + Nexxus Enphuse + coconut oil (1x/week with heat)
Rinse: ACV rinse (2x/week)
Leave-in: equal parts S-Curl/Infusium 23/Distilled water
Daily Moisture: spray bottle mix (8 oz. distilled water + 1 tsp. Humectress)
Sealing Oil: Castor/Emu/Avocado mix
Supplements: One-A-Day Women's, Biotin (2.5 mg), B-Complex, flax seed oil
Nightly Routine: moisturize & twist hair and wrap head in silk scarf.

When I found LHCF, I was at my lowest point. I'm very grateful for the information I've found here. Thank you ladies!
:bighug:

:hug2: DSP i'm sorry to hear about the medical concerns you had but i'm glad to read you figured out it out and got treatment. It will only go up from here :yep:

Heat only 2 x in 12months? That is fantastic! I wish i had the willpower to go that long without heat. Your hair is going to continually thank you for that.

You have made great progress, you hair has grown and you have gained some thickness. I can't wait to see your update 6 months from now because i know it's going to be even better.

I am so proud of you and i'm glad you were able to make it through the challenges you've had over the last few years.

:hug2: DSP i'm sorry to hear about the medical concerns you had but i'm glad to read you figured out it out and got treatment. It will only go up from here :yep:

Heat only 2 x in 12months? That is fantastic! I wish i had the willpower to go that long without heat. Your hair is going to continually thank you for that.

You have made great progress, you hair has grown and you have gained some thickness. I can't wait to see your update 6 months from now because i know it's going to be even better.

I am so proud of you and i'm glad you were able to make it through the challenges you've had over the last few years.

Thanks, so much Bre! You know I was nervous to post, but you gotta start somewhere. When my hair looks like yours and Queeny's, nobody can't tell me nothin'. ;)

Awww DSP I'm glad your posted your pics.
I had no idea you went through radiation.
Ella tears up but is able to control herself

Congrats on your hair progress it seems we both had a similar starting point:yep:

Your reggie sounds very good and your hair grew a bunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now keep up with the posting updates will ya?

Congrats on your hair progress it seems we both had a similar starting point:yep:

Tearing up with Ella reaching over her for Kleenex.

I had not idea either DSP. :sneakyhug:
Thanks for sharing your pics!

*You know I giggled when you said, "they can't tell me nothing!" Kanye popped in my head right away!

Aw Ella, I'm fine now.:hug2: I'm on medication and I have a very good endocrinologist. The worst part of being sick was losing so much hair and trying to hide my scalp every day. Now my hair is almost as thick as it used to be. By next year all the old damaged hair will be completely gone.:yahoo:

Aw Ella, I'm fine now.:hug2: I'm on medication and I have a very good endocrinologist. The worst part of being sick was losing so much hair and trying to hide my scalp every day. Now my hair is almost as thick as it used to be. By next year all the old damaged hair will be completely gone.:yahoo:

:yep::yep:

YAAAYYYY that's how I felt after 1 yr on LHCF,my hair barely was longer but I had a new head of thick LHCF hair.
Ella sniffles a bit and is touched by DSp's strength,holds tee's hand for support.
*grouphug*
Y'all I can't help it... I try to be less corny in the o8 ok?

Tearing up with Ella reaching over her for Kleenex.

I had not idea either DSP. :sneakyhug:
Thanks for sharing your pics!

*You know I giggled when you said, "they can't tell me nothing!" Kanye popped in my head right away!

Thanks, Sweet Tee.:kiss: Radiation wasn't bad, it was just a drag - I couldn't sleep in the same bed as DH or be near pregnant friends for a week. I was hoping to get some superpowers out of the deal like Spiderman, but no dice. :rolleyes:

YAAAYYYY that's how I felt after 1 yr on LHCF,my hair barely was longer but I had a new head of thick LHCF hair.
Ella sniffles a bit and is touched by DSp's strength,holds tee's hand for support.
*grouphug*
Y'all I can't help it... I try to be less corny in the o8 ok?
:lol: silly girl.

[Disclaimer: For the 2nd photo, DH used a flash, so there's a shadow on the wall in front of me.]

Hair type: Natural, cottony 4b

year1backbk1.jpg

This is only the second time I've used heat in 12 months. I kept the temp on my Sedu flat-iron at 280 degrees out of paranoia.:rolleyes: It's not very straight, but you can still see some progress.

Next week I will be trimming 1/2 inch from the top layers and 1 inch from the bottom. I usually wear my hair in an up-swept twistout or braidout, but I'd love to wear long curled layers someday.

Why my hair was so torn up: I had undiagnosed Graves Disease for 2+ years which caused my hair to break off & stop growing. My thyroid levels were in the "normal" range, so it took 4 different doctors to figure out what was wrong (normal for most people isn't normal for me). After my diagnosis, I had radiation treatment (June 2006) which caused even more hair loss.

Regimen
Shampoo: Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap (2x/week)
Clarifier: Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo (1x/month)
Conditioner: Nexxus Humectress (1x/week)
DC: Nexxus Humectin + Nexxus Enphuse + coconut oil (1x/week with heat)
Rinse: ACV rinse (2x/week)
Leave-in: equal parts S-Curl/Infusium 23/Distilled water
Daily Moisture: spray bottle mix (8 oz. distilled water + 1 tsp. Humectress)
Sealing Oil: Castor/Emu/Avocado mix
Supplements: One-A-Day Women's, Biotin (2.5 mg), B-Complex, flax seed oil
Nightly Routine: moisturize & twist hair and wrap head in silk scarf.

When I found LHCF, I was at my lowest point. I'm very grateful for the information I've found here. Thank you ladies!
:bighug:

Wow! Your hair has made a drastic comeback and so has your health! You are getting length and thickness! Your regimen is solid and is working very well for you. You should be very happy with your progress- I'm eager to see more of your progress pics as the months pass! God Bless!

You have made wonderful progress and you should be very proud. Thanks for sharing your story with us. I'm so glad you are doing better.:sneakyhug:

Thanks for sharing the pics. You've made good progress especially considering how stressful your medical concers must have been.

This time next year, you just go be flipping that hair like crazy! :yep:

Just DSP

It is great to hear you are doing better. Your hair is progressing well. Before you know it,you will be doing the white girl toss with your hair:grin:

This is great news just_DSP! I'm happy for you and as Bre Bre said, it's all good from here on out! :yep:

Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I am very happy that you are on the road to recovery and your hair is doing great. You Grow Girl!! :hug2:

awwww my girl I didn't know nothing!!

I'm happy you're getting better and you keep growing that hair!! A solid reggie will never let you down!

You ladies are so sweet! Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. All these months I've been stalking fotkis, reading regimens and feeling like I was making no progress. I'd look at all the beautiful heads of hair and all the styles I wanted to try but couldn't since my hair was as fragile as spun glass. I can't tell you how many tears were shed along the way, but seeing this much progress has made up for everything.

Thank you Gymfreak for helping me get my vitamin game on point.
Thank you Sistaslick for your protein/moisture info.
Thank you to everyone who has put themselves "out there" by sharing photos and stories of your journey with us. Your progress keeps me going when I'm ready to give up.

Now that I'm no longer a photo "virgin", expect more frequent progress reports.:yep: I'm working on my fotki now and will share that in the coming months. If I stay consistent with my regimen and maintain my health, there's no stopping me!

Much love to you all,
DSP

Last edited:
Great progress, keep it up....I am so happy you have found what works and that you are doing better.

:yep::yep:

Thank you ladies for all the love! I feel "all popular" like Queeny! :lachen:(now if I can grow my hair like hers...)

Back