Ayurvedic Ripoff!!

MaryJane3000

So it looks like Amla oil is about to catch on big time in the same way that argon oil did. lol I was reading this months issue of self magazine and in it this girl from The Hills, Kristin Cavellari was talking about her favorite hair care product. And guess what it was? Neil George Indian Gooseberry Treatment Oil, four ounces retails for $42. And we all know what Indian Gooseberry is...Amla oil! lol I went and looked at the descriptions and how it was being marketed and I just felt like laughing. I tried to get my mom into this stuff and she and my hair dresser told me that it was bad for my hair...uhhh yea right lol And all of those people that are buying it are getting ripped off! they can pay five bucks for 5 times the product (if ur getting the amla oil) lol and get more indian gooseberry in the actual product!

Here's the product description...For dry, damaged and frizzy hair Neil George has created indian gooseberry treatment oil for super shiny, silky hair.  One of the world's most powerful antioxidants, the amazing Indian Gooseberry calms frizz and eases styling, leaving hair beautifully smooth and wonderfully healthy.

Here's the product's ingredients...Water (Aqua), Cyclomethicone, Dimethiconol, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Amodimethicone, Aminopropyl Phenyl Trimethicone, Emblica Officinalis Oil, Eclipta Alba Oil, Acacia Consinna, Benzotriazolyl Dodecyl P Cresol, Fragrance (Parfum), Red 17 (CI 26100), Yellow 11 (CI 47000), Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Salicylate, Citronellol, Coumarin, Lilial, P T Butyl Alpha Methylhydrocinnamic Aldehyde, Linalool, Lyral, 3 and 4 (4 Hydrocy 4 Methylpentyl) 3 Cyclohexene 1 Carboxaldehyde, Methyl Ionone Gamma, Alpha Isomethyl Ionone

The ingredients are crap might I add...but here's a link to the product reviews :) BTW, you can find more reviews on Amazon.com

http://www.drugstore.com//products/...ose&CAID=8ffc0d65-a198-40ef-bb0c-acd162265339
:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

SMH, yeah knowledge is power. Not only could she buy the Amla oil for about $3.99 to $5.99, she could mix her own batch that would be even more potent and incude the goodness of other Ayurvedic herbs as well for about $1.99 a box.

Sometimes people go by the price of a products b/c they feel it's better. Most of the time that could be true but other times, it's pure crap. I believe you should look at the ingrdients before buying a product. Those ingredients above look like regular old cheap ingredients. I can't fault the company though cuz they are making a huge profit.

Last edited:
Ya at least with Argan oil, it's a precious oil that's expensive even in Morocco.
In Morocco, they call it golden oil.
Amla oil ain't expensive as far as I know. :ohwell: so you're really getting punked if you buy it at that price.

i agree, I still find it amusing though. if people were to just really pay attention to what they're buying and the ingredients they'd save a lot of money

Wow. I just made 2 quarts of amla oil this weekend. Including the powder and the coconut oil, and a bit of olive oil, costs me about $5.00:grin:

As long as Hesh doesn't act brand new and jack up their prices, I'm cool.

I've use the Neil George Treatment Oil and I actually love it, but I wouldn't exactly call it an oil. It might look like an oil but it feels like a serum when applied. It has a heavenly scent, but I don't consider it a 'true' amla oil product it has way too much other stuff in it.

But yup, you are right Amla is the "next" big oil to hit and will be popping up in both hair products and skin care product, but us LHCF girls are always head of the trends... we know the real deal.... boxes of Amla for about $2.00!

Back