Ayurveda Braid Regimen?

RaeCam

Hello everyone! I'm new here and after stalking your boards for a looooong time I have officially joined 2 minutes ago. :yawn:

I have learned so much on here and I have tried and loved ayurveda powders and oils. I've grown my hair out about 6 inches and then chopped the rest of the permed hair off and I now am thinking about doing a crown and glory type thing with braids. So...

1) What kind of braid care regimen would I do with the indian powders? Washing, conditioning, moisture or is this not a good idea while my hair is in braids?

2) Does anyone currently do this with their braids?

3) Do you think I could do it with kinky twists?

Thank you all in advance!

:wave: Welcome to LHCF, I personally wouldn't use the powders with braids, they get stuck in it and the buildup may cause problems when taking them down. Check out www.growafrohairlong.com for growth and maintenance in braids her regimen has worked for loads of people here and I use a modified version in braids.

Welcome RaeCam,

I've been in twists since the beginning of August and have used the Shikakai shampoo bar twice on my hair and the conditioning shampoo enriched with henna and lemon. I also used Vatika (or is is Dabur - in the light blue bottle?) coconut oil and Amla Gold oil between washes and my hair has done well. I'm taking my hair down this weekend to do a hendigo treatment (if Ike doesn't interrupt me).

I echo the above sentiments about not wanting to mess around with powders while in braids.

You've already had some success (and congratulations on that) so I don't have to sell you on the products, just use a different medium for the same herbs.

Happy Hair Growing!

Thanks for the welcome and the advice ladies! I hear what you are saying about the powders, but has anyone made like a ayurvedic moisturizer/spray/leave in type of thing?

I have used the indian method over this summer and will be doing CandyC's method again today....

I brew the powders in a coffee maker..... Then there is not much grainy -ness to rinse out.

I thought that it was an excellent method.

Pre poo is oiling with Coconut & avocado oils.

Then using shikakai & Amla powder mixture

then using a condish to get the remaining powders and to moisturize.

I got good results from it.

Do a search on CandyC....... there is info on it... Lots of it.

Make teas and strain them well..you should have no problems using the powders w/ braids/twists.

You can make a tea w/o a coffee maker, if you choose. Simply put your herbs in an old stocking/a tea strainer/ or some cheescloth and add the water. let it steep until cool and then use. All of your straining problem have been taken care of.

Welcome :)

Thanks for the welcome and the advice ladies! I hear what you are saying about the powders, but has anyone made like a ayurvedic moisturizer/spray/leave in type of thing?
Bumping this....I would like to know this as I would like to concoct an ayurvedic leave in whilst im in a weave and dont wash oftn

Hello everyone! I'm new here and after stalking your boards for a looooong time I have officially joined 2 minutes ago. :yawn:

I have learned so much on here and I have tried and loved ayurveda powders and oils. I've grown my hair out about 6 inches and then chopped the rest of the permed hair off and I now am thinking about doing a crown and glory type thing with braids. So...

1) What kind of braid care regimen would I do with the indian powders? Washing, conditioning, moisture or is this not a good idea while my hair is in braids?

2) Does anyone currently do this with their braids?

3) Do you think I could do it with kinky twists?

Thank you all in advance!

Hi and welcome aboard.

I am in long twists for a protective style and I am using my powders as a tea or in my conditioner for cowashing. I also will use the teas as a rinse and go or spray some in my hair for moisture if I know I am going to be cowashing later or the next day.

I won't be able to use Henna or Indigo until I come out of the twists. I am very happy with the teas I am making though.

I've been doing exactly this for the past 6 months or so. My regimen is a mixture of Crown and Glory, Ayurveda and a bit of Cathy Howse.

I make teas which I strain to avoid the grit getting stuck in my hair. I wash with a shikakai tea, then condition with amla and bhringraj teas. Deep condition with heat. Lately, I air drying about 60 - 70% then apply EVOO. I do this once or twice a week.

You could definitely do this in kinky twists. Only thing I've noticed is that the braids don't last as long. Mine are already look off and it hasn't quite been a month yet - it's been about 3 weeks.

Good luck! Be sure to let us know how it's going.

Back