Avocado butter users

Hey Kissy I got mine from FNWL (fromnaturewithlove) I havent used it by itself, I'm a mixer I add oils and other butters to it to make moisturizers

I purchase mine from camdengrey.com and I use it for sealing

Thank you for this site, I was just about to ask where else I could get it. FNWL was out of stock and now it looks like they are back in stock but the size jumps from 4oz to 16oz and I like buying 8 oz jars because of multiple ordering for me, Mom and my other hair buddies. Hmmm, looks like their prices are a lil better too. :yep:

I got my avocado butter from oilsbynature.com and am very pleased with the price and quality of the product. I use mine for mixing into my deep conditioners, sealing my nightly moisturizer, after I wash to seal my leave-in, on my ends when I twist...however I can think to use it. I feel like I have a lot fewer knots in the last couple weeks since I've been using it regularly, and it seems to make taking my twists down tons easier with fewer tangles. I've been using the oil for years, but I LOVE the butter much, much more.

I took a little container and made a mix of mostly avocado butter (about 80%) and filled the rest of the container with a little hemp seed butter, jojoba oil, coconut oil, castor oil, peppermint and lavender EOs, and vanilla fragrance oil. I melted and stirred it together and I use that on my ends when I put in twists.

Also, I use it on my skin after my showers. It's dreamy the way it soaks in without being too heavy, and it keeps me ash-free all day. I'm just mad that it took me so long to discover the butter vs the oil. I could have been using it all this time.

Jhuidah and Sunshine, thanks for the info. So I guess it is mostly used for sealing. I don't know how I got the idea that it was a straight moisturizer, but the sealing makes more sense. I have so many oils for sealing right now that I think I will hold off on the avocado butter. I think I really need suggestions on a moisturizer for natural 4b hair.

Jhuidah and Sunshine, thanks for the info. So I guess it is mostly used for sealing. I don't know how I got the idea that it was a straight moisturizer, but the sealing makes more sense. I have so many oils for sealing right now that I think I will hold off on the avocado butter. I think I really need suggestions on a moisturizer for natural 4b hair.

I spent years looking for the perfect butter moisturizer for my 4 a/b hair. I tried everything from Qhemet's heavy cream to Oyin whipped pudding to random BSS butters to pure shea butter. Girl, I tried it ALL. Nothing worked. I finally learned that butters are not moisturizers. Now I moisturize my hair with a homemade spritz (water, glyerin, EO's, Giovanni Direct leave in, CD hair milk...) and my hair has never been softer. If you haven't had success with moisturizers, you may want to try something that is more water based.

I spent years looking for the perfect butter moisturizer for my 4 a/b hair. I tried everything from Qhemet's heavy cream to Oyin whipped pudding to random BSS butters to pure shea butter. Girl, I tried it ALL. Nothing worked. I finally learned that butters are not moisturizers. Now I moisturize my hair with a homemade spritz (water, glyerin, EO's, Giovanni Direct leave in, CD hair milk...) and my hair has never been softer. If you haven't had success with moisturizers, you may want to try something that is more water based.

You aren't lying and I know it, but you know what I grew up thinking hair moisturizers for my type of hair were supposed to be more solid than liquid. I have a homemade spritz which is similar to yours without the last 2 ingrediets, but with Aloe vera juice. Somehow I got it into my head that the Avobut was a moisturizer. I will continue to use what I have but I do wish I could thicken it up somehow.

You aren't lying and I know it, but you know what I grew up thinking hair moisturizers for my type of hair were supposed to be more solid than liquid. I have a homemade spritz which is similar to yours without the last 2 ingrediets, but with Aloe vera juice. Somehow I got it into my head that the Avobut was a moisturizer. I will continue to use what I have but I do wish I could thicken it up somehow.

Me too! That's why I bought the thickest hair creams/butters that I could find. They only sat on my hair and made it greasy (especially Curly Buttercreme).

Have you tried adding conditioner to your spritz and using it as a cream (like a leave in) instead of a spritz?

Me too! That's why I bought the thickest hair creams/butters that I could find. They only sat on my hair and made it greasy (especially Curly Buttercreme).

Have you tried adding conditioner to your spritz and using it as a cream (like a leave in) instead of a spritz?

No, I haven't...but that is a good idea. Do you have any suggestions?

I use avocado butter directly after shampooing and deep conditioning, when I am getting ready to twist. When I do this, the water itself, is the moisturizer I am using at that particular time, the avocado butter just seals all that moisture right into that twist. My hair is soft and not greasy or oily feeling after air drying. HTH!

I use avocado butter directly after shampooing and deep conditioning, when I am getting ready to twist. When I do this, the water itself, is the moisturizer I am using at that particular time, the avocado butter just seals all that moisture right into that twist. My hair is soft and not greasy or oily feeling after air drying. HTH!

I don't use any other mositruizer besides water and butter as well. On the oils by nature site it does say that Avocado is a moisturizer. Maybe some butters aren't just like some oils aren't but there are exceptions. Like I learned coconut oil actually does moisturize, not just seal. I've read on this board many times that avocado butter is great without another moisturizer. Unfortunately, when i tried it i didn't like the gritty feel and I don't have the patience to microwave it or mix it with other products. I just personally didn't like the product bc i feel my hair rejected it. So i switched to hempseed which actually brings health back to the strand and moisture.

So in a nutshell i depend on only butter and water as my moisture and my hair feels amazing. But, if you feel you need another moisturizer I would recommend Giovanni Direct Leave In. It's good stuff. I was happy once I phased it out. I literally use 2 products for every day use and one other product monthly. All natural.

Last edited:

Yeah that does help. I think after I finish up all of my other products, I will try avocado butter...but that may take a while. :drunk::drunk:

I don't use any other mositruizer besides water and butter as well. On the oils by nature site it does say that Avocado is a moisturizer. Maybe some butters aren't just like some oils aren't but there are exceptions. Like I learned coconut oil actually does moisturize, not just seal. I've read on this board many times that avocado butter is great without another moisturizer. Unfortunately, when i tried it i didn't like the gritty feel and I don't have the patience to microwave it or mix it with other products. I just personally didn't like the product bc i feel my hair rejected it. So i switched to hempseed which actually brings health back to the strand and moisture.

So in a nutshell i depend on only butter and water as my moisture and my hair feels amazing. But, if you feel you need another moisturizer I would recommend Giovanni Direct Leave In. It's good stuff. I was happy once I phased it out. I literally use 2 products for every day use and one other product monthly. All natural.[/quote]

I have so much coconut oil I feel I may never finish it :look:.

For some reason it makes me happy that you have to use only 3 products. I am really working toward that. :yep:

So in a nutshell i depend on only butter and water as my moisture and my hair feels amazing. But, if you feel you need another moisturizer I would recommend Giovanni Direct Leave In. It's good stuff. I was happy once I phased it out. I literally use 2 products for every day use and one other product monthly. All natural.
Absolutely some oils/butters will moisturize and seal. Coconut, avocado, shea are a few examples

No, I haven't...but that is a good idea. Do you have any suggestions?

Any really thick conditioner would probably be fine. Trader Joe's Nourish Spa is thick and pretty cheap. I prefer Kenra MC as my main conditioner, but it's a bit expensive so I probably wouldn't use a lot of it as a leave in.

Back