Aveda Tech Support-Need Help!!

Radianthealth

I fell in love with Aveda about a month ago. I have switched to Aveda Damage Remedy but now I am experiencing some difficulties:confused:

My hair feels a little more fine and a bit straw like. Is this from all of the protein???

Is it because I am trying to use less product?

I tried the hang straight and do not like it much along with a couple of other products that I would like to return but I don't have the receipt.

I don't want to go to H*ll for talking about Aveda the wrong way ;), but Why isn't it working for me as well as it did a month ago:confused:

I have tried clarifying and I will try to wash again tonight. I hope it works I got about $200 invested in them:ohwell:

Hmmm...

That's a very difficult question to answer. Are you using a lot of protein already? If so, give AVEDA a week off and go back to another moisturizing shampoo/conditioner. Be sure to clarify. Then, go back to AVEDA in 1 or 2 weeks and see if that works.

You and I both know that my hair HATES harsh proteins, so if you are using a lot, you might want to try a good deep, penetrating moisturizing conditioner.

I'm not sure that this addresses your question. I've never heard of this problem before.

Anyone else want to chime in? Come on, AVEDA Queens! ;)

I am puzzled too. It turned my hair around the first time I used it...now the results are not as good. I will clarify and do a deep moisturizing treatment and return to Aveda. I guess this just teaches me I have to pay attention to my hair and react accordingly:look:

Im sorry this happened. Like the other ladies suggested...i'd say try clarifying & deep conditioning & see what happens. Are you using both conditioners each time?
And um....i'll gladly buy the hang straight from you :look:

I would try alternation with a good mosturizing poo. That'll keep your hair moist but you'll still get the benefits of the Aveda.

Another thing I like to do is what I call a "chaser" I'll deep con with my aveda dr and then I'll rinse and slap on some moisturizing con for about 2 minutes and that keeps it extra moist.

Chayil

DIONNE31 said:
Im sorry this happened. Like the other ladies suggested...i'd say try clarifying & deep conditioning & see what happens. Are you using both conditioners each time?
And um....i'll gladly buy the hang straight from you :look:

Sounds good to me send me a PM

chayil0427 said:
I would try alternation with a good mosturizing poo. That'll keep your hair moist but you'll still get the benefits of the Aveda.

Another thing I like to do is what I call a "chaser" I'll deep con with my aveda dr and then I'll rinse and slap on some moisturizing con for about 2 minutes and that keeps it extra moist.

Chayil

I will definitely do this, I was afraid because I have heard that Aveda doesn't play nicely with other product lines. I may have to introduce more moisture. I tried a sample of the Sap Moss and did not like it so I think I will stick with humectress:)

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely clarify and try again and do a moisturizing chaser. I don't know why I am so upset, this should be good news for my wallet:cool:

which products are you using, the shampoo, conditioner and treatment each time you wash? Better yet, how often? The treatment, I think should be used only 1x per week. I alternate, the treatment 1 week and then the conditioner the next week and my fine hair responds well. As chayil0427 stated, mayber after your DR treatments, you can follow with a moisturizing conditioner.

Last edited:
I feel your pain TrimB. My hair is relaxed and color treated, and that requires a whole nother level of moisture and conditioning to keep it in check. My hair is also very sensitive to protein, so I don't need much to keep me balanced. I just recently purchased the DR line, and I'm starting to think that Aveda must be a good line to use for protein supplementation if that's what you're looking for because moisturize it did not. :nono: My hair felt like a swollen, botanical brick. :lol: Then I had the nerve to airdry my hair down, too. :eek: :lol:

Needless to say, I had to wash my hair the next day and start over. :nono: I think I'm gonna head on back to Kenra for my intense deep moisturizing and use Aveda for protein maintenance.

growinstrong said:
which products are you using, the shampoo, conditioner and treatment each time you wash? Better yet, how often? The treatment, I think should be used only 1x per week. I alternate, the treatment 1 week and then the conditioner the next week and my fine hair responds well. Mayber after your DR treatments, you can follow with a moisturizing conditioner.

I have been using all three at every wash :scratchch

this could be the cause of my issues. Once I tried to use the conditioner with heat, this didn't turn out as well as I hoped. I will not do that again and see how it turns out.

chayil0427 said:

Chayil

:lachen: :lachen: a chaser, I love it!! :lol:

Sometimes when I am not going to press my hair, I will shampoo with Aveda DR and condition with the Smooth Infusion; It seems to gaive my hair a nice protein/moisture balance.

I clarify with the Aveda Hair Detoxifier every week. I cannot go from wash to wash with Aveda w/o clarifying, the treatment leaves something on your hair that does not wash off with the DR shampoo. The hair detoxifier is pretty gentle. Include some type of clarifier in your regimen and see if that doesn't help.

chayil0427 said:

Chayil

I had to do something like this also. I switch product every other wash to balance it out. One wash will be with Kenra and the Aveda/ORS replenshing pack. I first clarify. That seems to help a lot and give better results.

trimbride said:
I have been using all three at every wash :scratchch

this could be the cause of my issues. Once I tried to use the conditioner with heat, this didn't turn out as well as I hoped. I will not do that again and see how it turns out.

Yep...I loved how the dr intensive therapy (the reconstructor) worked when I first tried it. I loved it so much I used it every week and my hair started to become a little hard and dry. This turned out to be the culprit that was causing my hair problems. BUT, I think if you use that intensive treatment maybe every three or four weeks instead of every week it will turn things around for you. i never used the shampoo/conditioner set but i suspect that these two every week would be fine.

How many weeks post are you? I found out the hard way that when I hit about 5 weeks post Aveda DR doesn't agree with my ng. The result was a hard tangled mess and I only used the poo and con (no treatment).

pinkskates said:
Sometimes when I am not going to press my hair, I will shampoo with Aveda DR and condition with the Smooth Infusion; It seems to gaive my hair a nice protein/moisture balance.

I second that. I haven't used the Aveda DR, but I do use the SI line which seems to be geared towards moisturizing as opposed to treating your hair.

I also use Aveda with Nexxus and have no problems with using it Aveda along with.

I know Aveda can be put on a pedastol as the Holy Grail of hair products, but don't feel bad if it doesn't work for you. If I were in your shoes I would return it if your hair is not damaged and try either the Sap Moss line or Smooth Infusions if you want to stick with Aveda.

As for a moisture treatment, if you have any vatika, jojoba or similar oils perhaps a Heat DC with just oils for about an hour??

Keclee23 said:
I second that. I haven't used the Aveda DR, but I do use the SI line which seems to be geared towards moisturizing as opposed to treating your hair.

I also use Aveda with Nexxus and have no problems with using it Aveda along with.

I know Aveda can be put on a pedastol as the Holy Grail of hair products, but don't feel bad if it doesn't work for you. If I were in your shoes I would return it if your hair is not damaged and try either the Sap Moss line or Smooth Infusions if you want to stick with Aveda.

As for a moisture treatment, if you have any vatika, jojoba or similar oils perhaps a Heat DC with just oils for about an hour??

You suggested returning the DR if her hair isn't damaged....this line is excellent at preventing damage too.
Also I don't think oils are considered moisture or should be used in place of a moisturizing conditioner. I could be mistaken tho

I usually pre-poo with Kercare humecto for about half an hour before using the DR line just to balance out my protein moisture. It's worked well the last few weeks. HTH

Sistaslick said:
I feel your pain TrimB. My hair is relaxed and color treated, and that requires a whole nother level of moisture and conditioning to keep it in check. My hair is also very sensitive to protein, so I don't need much to keep me balanced. I just recently purchased the DR line, and I'm starting to think that Aveda must be a good line to use for protein supplementation if that's what you're looking for because moisturize it did not. :nono: My hair felt like a swollen, botanical brick. :lol: Then I had the nerve to airdry my hair down, too. :eek: :lol:

Needless to say, I had to wash my hair the next day and start over. :nono: I think I'm gonna head on back to Kenra for my intense deep moisturizing and use Aveda for protein maintenance.

I love the aveda damage remedy shampoo but me and conditioner are not the bestest of friends. I worked well once but that was it. I think me and you have similar hair. My hair needs alot of moisture and protein since I do still have a couple of areas of color but it is sensitive to the protein deliver system. :ohwell: What gives.

DIONNE31 said:
You suggested returning the DR if her hair isn't damaged....this line is excellent at preventing damage too.
Also I don't think oils are considered moisture or should be used in place of a moisturizing conditioner. I could be mistaken tho

I was suggesting the oil DC as a way of solving the straw like hair feeling (which IMO sounds like a symptom of too much protein). I pre-poo with vatika and my hair is left sleek and well moisturized.

The way I understand it is that the DR tx is for damaged hair, as it is a restorative product and focuses more on restoring protein levels and less moisture levels.

"Our gentle daily shampoo helps repair damage with quinoa protein, while nurturing with rich coconut and babassu—lending new life to hair.

• part of a three-step restructuring system• helps hair weakened by chemical processes, heat styling and environmental exposure • babassu and coconut-based cleansing formula is kind to damaged hair• with quinoa protein—to help strengthen and repair hair from the inside out

Which leads into why I suggested switching to Sap Moss or SI, because that line is more moisture based.

Hey Trim

I think Aveda DR is great. But I only use it in my hair every few weeks to prevent damage and to repair. I don't think it's good to use it every wash, because I believe it can cause protein overload. There are some light proteins that I can probably use on my hair everywash without any problems but Aveda DR isn't one of them. I would try reducing the amount of times that you use it and find a good moisturizing conditioner to use for every wash, even after you use Aveda DR. When I use it or any protein I follow with a moisturizing conditioner.

Weird that this would happen to you. I use my ADR every other week. I'll poo, apply the treatment with a plastic cap/heat and then follow with the cond for 5/10 min. This works perfect for my hair every time.

Thank you everyone for coming to my rescue :).

All of your answers make sense and it is pretty much common sense I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

I am about 11 weeks post so I think moisture may be key right about now instead of all the protein. I think I ODed on the Aveda DR because it worked so well the first time.

I followed a lot of the advice in this thread and I have been conditioner washing which has almost fixed the protein/moisture balance issue. I have tried Sap Moss and didn't like it so I am using up my supply of conditioner on hand and this is working well for me.

I will also pull out the vatika & amla oil to pre poo.

Thanks Again:grin: :grin:

Back