Aveda Hair Color

aminata

What's your experience?
I made an appointment to have color done this weekend. I have had color in the past...but now I'm unsure if I want the commitment.

For those of you that have had Aveda color, did you find it damaging? Did it dry out your hair?
Did you use any of the Aveda hair care line for maintenance?
My hair is pretty healthy right now and I'm afraid to damage it.

:sunshine:Whatever you decide to do, make sure you do a full consultation beforehand and let them know your wishes and desires up front. Also do not let them use the shades of enlightener on your hair. Even though they claim it is 97% natural, it does have bleach and it will MESS your hair up and cause breakage and damage. They will try and lie and tell you otherwise, but that stuff is for caucasian, light colored hair only. Instead request the full spectrum deep hair color. It deposits color and is best suited for darker hair colors, to include our hair. It will not break your hair or damage it. PM me if you need any more specifics. I had a terrible experience and I don't want yours to end up that way.

:sunshine:Whatever you decide to do, make sure you do a full consultation beforehand and let them know your wishes and desires up front. Also do not let them use the shades of enlightener on your hair. Even though they claim it is 97% natural, it does have bleach and it will MESS your hair up and cause breakage and damage. They will try and lie and tell you otherwise, but that stuff is for caucasian, light colored hair only. Instead request the full spectrum deep hair color. It deposits color and is best suited for darker hair colors, to include our hair. It will not break your hair or damage it. PM me if you need any more specifics. I had a terrible experience and I don't want yours to end up that way.

I have to disagree though I am VERY sorry you had a bad color experience too.

I have a review in my Color Fotki of my experience. I got a demi-done however.

My experience was wonderful, it did no damage to my hair and faded beautifully.

Aveda has a specific formulation for dark hair in a range of colors. Damage after color also depends on maintenance afterwards.

Littlegoldlamb and Mikosobelle, thanks for the advice. I plan on discussing every detail before the application process.

Truthfully, I'm still on the fence about color. I feel my hair is pretty healthy now and I don't want to ruin it because of color. I'm not sure if buy the hype of Aveda's "natural" or "plant derived" color---but I do want a change. I'm pretty bored with my hair and want to give some omph!!! :yep:

I've been very close to making an appointment at Aveda to get my hair colored as well. I'm only wanting color deposited, but like you I'm a little scared about color damage.

I've been very close to making an appointment at Aveda to get my hair colored as well. I'm only wanting color deposited, but like you I'm a little scared about color damage.

Cheleigh,

Wow your hair has really grown! looking good :yep:
I'm actually paranoid about damage.--I'm thinking of canceling the appointment. I just remember how my ends were when I had highlights.

I have to disagree though I am VERY sorry you had a bad color experience too.

I have a review in my Color Fotki of my experience. I got a demi-done however.

My experience was wonderful, it did no damage to my hair and faded beautifully.

Aveda has a specific formulation for dark hair in a range of colors. Damage after color also depends on maintenance afterwards.

You must have misunderstood me, the reason why my hair was damaged was because they used the shades of enlightener, which has bleach in it. They also used a level 40 developer, which is extremely harsh. That is why my hair was damaged, not due to a lack of care or maintenance afterwards.

Yes the demi permanent by Aveda will not damage the hair. The last time I got my hair colored (2 weeks ago) they used the full spectrum deep, which is the "specific formulation for dark hair in a range of colors." My hair is doing very good since then. The full spectrum deep is not damaging. My most recent experience was very positive because the stylist who did my hair was a great colorist and understands our hair.

The point I was trying to make is DO NOT let them use the shades of enlightener, which has bleach or anything higher than a level 20 developer, because it will cause damage.

Just wanted to clarify and provided more explanation.

HTH.

Last edited:
You must have misunderstood me, the reason why my hair was damaged was because they used the shades of enlightener, which has bleach in it. They also used a level 40 developer, which is extremely harsh. That is why my hair was damaged, not due to a lack of care or maintenance afterwards.

Yes the demi permanent by Aveda will not damage the hair. The last time I got my hair colored (2 weeks ago) they used the full spectrum deep, which is the "specific formulation for dark hair in a range of colors." My hair is doing very good since then. The full spectrum deep is not damaging. My most recent experience was very positive because the stylist who did my hair was a great colorist and understands our hair.

The point I was trying to make is DO NOT let them use the shades of enlightener, which has bleach or anything higher than a level 20 developer, because it will cause damage.

Just wanted to clarify and provided more explanation.

HTH.

Glad you had a good Aveda experience. What you said in bold is very important and a very good point!!

Bleach is EVIL.

Thanks Mikosobelle--are you using any of the aveda products for maintenance?

Yes I use the color conserve strengthening treatment and the damage remedy intensive restructuring treatment. Those work very well and keep the hair moisturized and protein the necessary amount of protein to keep the hair from breaking and to make it stronger.

Thanks Mikosbelle for sharing your experience.

WOW to the bolded.

I also have Aveda hair color. I got it done initially back in November 07 and I've had one root touch up in March. My color was mixed from the Intensive Reds collection. Now you have me wondering if my color is part of the "full spectrum deep color" family? I'm going to call the salon and find out! My hair has done OK with the color over the last almost 8 months. My hair is naturally dry so I have stepped up my protein and moisture deep treatments. I do the protein (Aphogee 3-minute) every other week and moisture 1-2 times weekly.

My hair is fine in texture and to be honest I don't think it "loves" any type of chemical (including color) but it will "tolerate" them. So I'm currently on the fence about gettting my roots retouched. Right now I have about 2 inches of dark roots. But I will say the Aveda color fades really well. I don't have a harsh demarcation line.

Aminata:

If you do decide to get the color, ask them to make you a color conditioner so that you can "refresh" the color on your ends, every so often. I use mine maybe once a month. They also use the same color conditioner technique on the length of your hair when you go to have the color re-applied to your roots. It keeps the color uniform and vibrant.

HTH

Last edited:
Thanks Mikosbelle for sharing your experience.

But I will say the Aveda color fades really well. I don't have a harsh demarcation line.

Aminata:

If you do decide to get the color, ask them to make you a color conditioner so that you can "refresh" the color on your ends, every so often. I use mine maybe once a month. They also use the same color conditioner technique on the length of your hair when you go to have the color re-applied to your roots. It keeps the color uniform and vibrant.

HTH

No problem, we only do better when we know better. I was going to predominantly caucasian salons and they fried my hair with bleach out of a lack of concern for my hair.

ITA, the Aveda color fades perfectly. I find that I can go 6 months without really needing a color touch up. I did not get a harsh demarcation line either.

I will ask about the color conditioner next time I visit the salon. Is there a specific name for the color conditioner? I just want to make sure that I ask for the right thing.

Thanks, oh and I love your color!!!

No problem, we only do better when we know better. I was going to predominantly caucasian salons and they fried my hair with bleach out of a lack of concern for my hair.

ITA, the Aveda color fades perfectly. I find that I can go 6 months without really needing a color touch up. I did not get a harsh demarcation line either.

I will ask about the color conditioner next time I visit the salon. Is there a specific name for the color conditioner? I just want to make sure that I ask for the right thing.

Thanks, oh and I love your color!!!

Thanks! :)

The color conditioner (I believe) is custom made from the color mix they apply to your hair. Just ask them to make a color conditioner that matches the color they applied so that you can "refresh" the color on the length of your hair. I think they use the color conserve conditioner as the base. I paid about $20 buck for mine.

HTH

[/B]

Thanks! :)

The color conditioner (I believe) is custom made from the color mix they apply to your hair. Just ask them to make a color conditioner that matches the color they applied so that you can "refresh" the color on the length of your hair. I think they use the color conserve conditioner as the base. I paid about $20 buck for mine.

HTH

Sunshine,

Thanks for the info. I will have them make a custom color conditioner. My appointment is in 2 hours. I will post the results.

cant wait to see the pics! there is an aveda salon near my school that i have heard this girl rave about; she is rich so i automatically assumed the place was sky high :perplexed and since it is aveda it probably is...but i wouldn't mind treating myself to a new hair color once i reach APL. maybe i will start slow and get highlights.

Sunshine,

Thanks for the info. I will have them make a custom color conditioner. My appointment is in 2 hours. I will post the results.

OK, I wish I would have known you were going today. I made an appointment yesterday to get my color retouched today. My appointment is @ 5:45 pm so youll be long gone by then. Too funny! :lachen:

I Can't wait to see your new color! :yep:'

I forgot to add in my earlier posts that the Aveda concept salon that I go to is owned and operated by African (Ethiopian) stylists. I think that makes a huge difference because we have the same textures of hair. I suggest when searching for a Aveda salon or Institute (or any salon) try to find one that is run or staffed with stylists of color.

HTH

www.salonrevive.com

I forgot to add in my earlier posts that the Aveda concept salon that I go to is owned and operated by African (Ethiopian) stylists. I think that makes a huge difference because we have the same textures of hair. I suggest when searching for a Aveda salon or Institute (or any salon) try to find one that is run or staffed with stylists of color.

HTH

www.salonrevive.com

You are so very correct!! I was going to predominantly white salons and they damaged my hair terribly. The salon owner was a sister so I thought I was safe, but boy did I learn my lesson. The last time I went to the Dillard's salon in Jacksonville, the salon manager, a sister, did a great job with my hair. She had to do corrective color, a damage remedy treatment, and charged me way below what I normally would pay. I am trying to find an aveda salon in atlanta who is staffed with black stylists, but I can't find one. I hate calling and asking that info over the phone, but I live out of town and really have no other choice, unless they post salon biographies with photos. You are blessed to have found the one in DC.

I went--still getting use to the color, it's a bit more red than I wanted. I have pics--but if someone can tell me how to reduce the size and link them to the post-I will happily share them.

I ended up getting permanent color--she took it about two shades lighter. I'm very pleased with the service.

Aminata, which aveda salon did you go to, the one where sunshine one went? if you want to send me the pics, i can reduce the size for you.. Pm me with your email address. I want to get aveda color as well, thanks.

I had my hair coloured at Aveda about 3-4 years ago and they were very good, the only problem, was that I wanted more vibrant colours, more reds. I have highlighted myself, but I tend to use L'Oreal and Schwarzkopf, but it is hard to do it yourself. I am going to highlight my hair, but I will again use Schwarzkopf, however I will be adding olive oil and castor oil, to help strengthen and prevent breakage, but I will probably get someone to help me.

Last edited:
I had my hair coloured at Aveda about 3-4 years ago and they were very good, the only problem, was that I wanted more vibrant colours, more reds. I have highlighted myself, but I tend to use L'Oreal and Schwarzkopf, but it is hard to do it yourself. I am going to highlight my hair, but I will again use Schwarzkopf, however I will be adding olive oil and castor oil, to help strengthen and prevent breakage, but I will probably get someone to help me,

Hello,

A few months ago I wrote about my experience with hair colour at the Aveda Salon in NY.

I was also on the fence about colouring my natural hair. I had damage the last time I got my hair coloured at a natural black hair care salon.

But my experience at Aveda was very positive. My hair dresser was white but knew how to deal with my hair texture and was knowledgeable about all my questions. She was very gentle and knew how to comb my hair properly. She advised me only to go up at the most three shades. Afterwards, she did a treatment for the end of my hair.

It's been now two months and I have not had any breakage at all whatsoever. It also helped that I stick with Aveda shampoo and conditioners which gives my hair great moisture and prevent tangles.

I would definitely go back.

Best,
almond eyes

I was thinking the same thing. I so glad you posted. I want a nice dark brown with honey highlights so I will need permanent color. Please post some pics in here!!

Bumping-

Can you buy the demi and do it yourself at home?

I looked on the website but they just direct you to the salon.

Back