Aveda DR - to moisturize or not to moisturize is the question?

princessdi

For those of you who just can’t stand to do without their beloved “Aveda DR” and incorporate it into your weekly regime, or for those who use it exclusively for their protein fix, do you follow up with a moisturizing deep conditioner?

I love Aveda DR and actually prefer it over Joico K-Pac because my hair comes out feeling so moisturized and soft after using it. Because of this, I don’t feel as though I need to add anything after using it, but I do and that’s just because I know it’s a protein.

For those Aveda users who love this product, do you follow this conditioner with a moisturizing conditioner or is this enough? I know the product is suppose to moisturize and strengthen, which it does very well, so when this happens with a protein-based product, I get confused about whether or not to follow with a moisturizer or not. I believe this is considered to be a medium protein-based product, is this correct?

Please chime in.

Thanks ladies!

If your hair is fine with it alone, why change anything.

Aveda dr has protein in it yes but that doesn't mean that it is a protein treatment. The intenstive treatment is more of a protein type targeted treatement. The conditioner itself is a fortifying and repairing moisturizer. That is the whole premise of the system.....cleanse, condition with a balanced conditioner, and use the intensive treatment as needed for additional support.

If it is working for you as is, leave it alone.

I Love DR treatment and am on my third week of using it as a leave in.

My natural 4b hair has never been so soft or strong.

I also use shea butter as my moisturizer to help combat protein overload.

I like the shampoo, my plan is use the DR shampoo, Brilliant conditioner and DR treatment weekly with my steamer that should be arriving on Friday:grin:.

Loyal user here. I find that Aveda DR gives me just the right balance of moisture and protein. I use the poo and con with every wash and I've never found the need to follow up with another con.

Good thread. My stylist suggested I alternate weeks with the Smooth Infusion and DR lines to get the right balance on an ongoing basis. She said I didn't have to follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. I took her advice and a sample to try it out...my hair was stronger and moisturized. I think I might purchase.

Back