Aveda Coloring

czyfaith77

Is any one familiar with their coloring process. I am considering getting a lighter brown and then some nice creamy looking honey highlights like Iman ( I know hers is on OPH but it's pretty :) ) Anyhow, are they really good with dealing with African American hair. I am especially concerned being that I am 16 weeks post relaxer. I rarely go to salons but do not trust myself to go lighter due to the fact that when I do it I destroy my hair (That is only with going lighter. I can do all the other colors). I just wanted the insight of LHCF ladies. I had my consultation and made the appointment . She asked me if I had any questions. I had a couple but now I have alot and am going to have to go back to get answers before she touches my hair. Just plain old squimish. I just really never go to salons because I have always been able to do my own hair. Another thing is the price. See taht is the thing about people who do their hair any price is too high when you figure you can figure it out yourself :lol: . Go figure!

CF, I answered your pm here, if that's ok.

Well, I'm okay with paying higher prices as long as it's done right. $135 doesn't seem too bad, but I'm not sure, because I don't normally get my hair professionally colored, but the last time it was about $75. Also, keep in mind that you're paying for the name "Aveda" and they are "supposed" to be one of the best. (but I've never tried them)

You mentioned that you are getting your hair colored all over in a caramel color, then hi-lights over top. As far as the double coloring, are you going to continue to color your hair? I'm asking because all over color can be drying and damaging to the hair as well. Are they just depositing the caramel color or are they going to lift your hair to achieve the first color? I hope this makes sense. Depositing color is ok, but lifting can be more damaging. Just make sure you really take care of it.

Keep in mind that women of "no-color" are used to getting their hair colored on a regular basis, so just be careful if they try to do too much, because our hair is fragile.

Also, as far as being 16 weeks post, I'm not sure if she'll be able to deal with the newgrowth. Most black stylist can't even deal with it. :ohwell: You may want to take your own large comb to detangle (Jilbere shower comb).

I hope this helps. I'm sure some others have tried Aveda's Hair coloring. Hopefully, they'll post soon.

Last edited:
kitchen_tician said:
CF, I answered your pm here, if that's ok.

Well, I'm okay with paying higher prices as long as it's done right. $135 doesn't seem too bad, but I'm not sure, because I don't normally get my hair professionally colored, but the last time it was about $75. Also, keep in mind that you're paying for the name "Aveda" and they are "supposed" to be one of the best. (but I've never tried them)

You mentioned that you are getting your hair colored all over in a caramel color, then hi-lights over top. As far as the double coloring, are you going to continue to color your hair? I'm asking because all over color can be drying and damaging to the hair as well. Are they just depositing the caramel color or are they going to lift your hair to achieve the first color? I hope this makes sense. Depositing color is ok, but lifting can be more damaging. Just make sure you really take care of it.

Keep in mind that women of "no-color" are used to getting their hair colored on a regular basis, so just be careful if they try to do too much, because our hair is fragile.

Also, as far as being 16 weeks post, I'm not sure if she'll be able to deal with the newgrowth. Most black stylist can't even deal with it. :ohwell: You may want to take your own large comb to detangle (Jilbere shower comb).

I hope this helps. I'm sure some others have tried Aveda's Hair coloring. Hopefully, they'll post soon.

Thanks for responding. I think she will change on some of these things. She really won't have to change to much of the color. My hair really plays a bad trick on me at times. Some days it can appear that my hair is really dark brown and other days it appears sandy brown as I don't know what. It grows in dark and about two inches from the root it starts turning brown and this is without the relaxer. Before I will talk to her agin about the process. I may go this evening because I still had a couple of questions.

As far as styling, I would be fine with styling it myself. We'll see and I will let you know.

I will be going to the institute. I understand your concerns. At least you are going to a salon. I want to do the same process too only I am natural. It may be too much coloring since you will be getting a chemical soon. I want to lift my naturally dark hair to a brown color and add in highlights.

Country gal said:
I will be going to the institute. I understand your concerns. At least you are going to a salon. I want to do the same process too only I am natural. It may be too much coloring since you will be getting a chemical soon. I want to lift my naturally dark hair to a brown color and add in highlights.

Oh I don't plan on relaxing any time soon. I am stretching for a little while. I actually enjoy stretching. Also, as I stated in the other thread, I have decided to go to the school. There was a huge difference in the price and I praying to get an experienced student. The school is charging me $55.00. The salon wants to charge me $135.00. Every where I have checked have been considerably less expensive but I desire to stick with Aveda so that is why I decided with the school. I can get the price I want and get the use of Aveda coloring products. I think this is a great compromise. I will come back in a couple of weeks and let you guys know how it went.

czyfaith77 said:
Oh I don't plan on relaxing any time soon. I am stretching for a little while. I actually enjoy stretching. Also, as I stated in the other thread, I have decided to go to the school. There was a huge difference in the price and I praying to get an experienced student. The school is charging me $55.00. The salon wants to charge me $135.00. Every where I have checked have been considerably less expensive but I desire to stick with Aveda so that is why I decided with the school. I can get the price I want and get the use of Aveda coloring products. I think this is a great compromise. I will come back in a couple of weeks and let you guys know how it went.

I will let you know how my experience goes. I will be going on my birthday. My special treat to myself. I chose the school for cheaper price. They go through a rigorous training so they are not your average beauty school. I wanted to try out their color products since it is plant derived.

Back