Attention MSM USERS PLEASE READ!!!

nadine1977canada

I just saw an alarming post on another forum(http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=45827) and I just had to post it in here:

Unfavorable interactions
Unfavorable interactions may include blood thinning medications such as Coumadin (warfarin), aspirin, and fish or flax (Omega-3) oil. One source reports studies involving prevention, regression, and promotion of tumor growth. Unfavorable interactions between MSM and chemotactic or chemopreventive agents may exist. The counsel of a knowledgeable healthcare professional is advised.

MSM has blood thinning effects; therefore caution and consultation with a healthcare professional is especially advised when using medications such as warfarin (commonly known as Coumadin), aspirin, herbals such as ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba), and other supplements such as fish and flax oils, which contain Omega-3. An essential fatty acid, Omega-3 also has blood thinning properties.

http://health.enotes.com/alternative-medicine-encyclopedia/msm

This is trully scary. I will have to stop taking either MSM or The flaxseed oil. I'm thinking of cutting out the MSM and keep the flaxsed oil since it helps keeping hair moisturized during winter.:(
***Update!!!!!!

Like i mentioned on post#4, I spoke with a medical professional and she mentioned that there is nothing to worry about if you take a small dosage of MSM and if you drink plenty of water. In my case i only take 1000 Mcg of MSM and 1 teaspoon of Flaxseed oil . SHe claimed it was ok.

Last edited:
yeah, I read that article. I always try and take my vitamins in low dosage, incase of things like this. I'm probably going to stop taking either the MSM or the fish oil, and I might also take one for a month and rotate with the other:confused:

Thanks for posting....very informative. On the back of my MSM bottle it states to consult your doctor if you are already taking blood thinning medications or anything else that thins the blood (aspirin, Evening Primrose oil, etc). I knew then that it wasn't a good idea to take with those other supplements.

Lanelle said:
Thanks for posting....very informative. On the back of my MSM bottle it states to consult your doctor if you are already taking blood thinning medications or anything else that thins the blood (aspirin, Evening Primrose oil, etc). I knew then that it wasn't a good idea to take with those other supplements.

Mine said nothing about that. :perplexed it only said 1to 3 tablets per day. Keep away from children.

I wonder, does horsetail tea contain MSM? IS it safe to take horsetail tea with MSM?

I just spoke to someone in the medical field and she mentioned that it is ok if you take a small dosage of MSM. I told her in my case I took 1 teaspoon of flaxseed oil and 1000 mcg of MSM. She said i had nothing to worry about. PLus the fact that i drink plenty of water helps ( i drink minimum 2 liters of water per day)

However , she claimed that I took too much Horsetail tea. She mentioned that i should consume it for 7 days and let it go for 7 days. She said that I would be better off taking bamboo it has more silica and is more benefiicial than horsetail tea.

Last edited:
nadine1977canada said:
Mine said nothing about that. :perplexed

I think it depends on the brand. I've used another brand before and it didn't have the "consult your doctor" warning on the bottle either. I'm not sure about horsetail since I don't take it and have not done any research on it.

Thanks for the post. Personally, I don't take any of the other blood thinning substances mentioned, but this is great information!

Thanks for posting...I am taking MSM now and recently ran out of my flaxseed pills so I guess I shouldn't restock

Wow I take MSM but not the oils. Thank you for posting this because I had no clue. I thought MSM was the safest and never read about any potential bad reactions

thanx, I had a bruise, didnt know how on earth I had got it, MSM and flaxseed oil/w fish oils in it, a likely culprit. Thanx for the post, gonna have to figure out whar i want to cut out.

Does anyone know the maximum dosages that we can take without having the blood thinning effects? Since the sulfur and the EFA's are both needed by the body, I would think there is a maximum dosage we can take without negative consequences.

shocol said:
Does anyone know the maximum dosages that we can take without having the blood thinning effects? Since the sulfur and the EFA's are both needed by the body, I would think there is a maximum dosage we can take without negative consequences.

Like i mentioned on post#4, I spoke with a medical professional and she mentioned that there is nothing to worry about if you take a small dosage of MSM and if you drink plenty of water. In my case i only take 1000 Mcg of MSM and 1 teaspoon of Flaxseed oil . SHe claimed it was ok.

Last edited:
WOW!

This is really interesting....

I take MSM every other day (1/2 a tsp.- a full tsp. gives me a headache!) & the Omega oils everyday, but maybe I'll alternate days between the two.....

THAT IS INTERESTING - i ACTUALLY TAKE MY MSM IN THE MORNING, FLAX SEED IN AFTERNOON AND, EVENING PRIMROSE AND COD LIVER OIL AT NIGHT. I SPACE IT OUT AND DRINK PLENTY WATER.

I RECENTLY DID ENCOUNTER A PROBLEM. I WAS TAKING TOO MUCH MSM ABOUT 4000 MG ALONG WITH HYALORONIC ACID AS WELL. DID WONDERS FOR HELPING TO CLEAR UP MY ECZEMA SKIN. BUT WHEN I STOPPED TAKING THE MSM, I WAS IN SOOO MUCH PAIN I HAD TO GO TO THE DR AND THEY SAID I HAD A MESSED UP ROTATOR CUFF. (WHATEVA- GIVE ME SOME MEDICINE!)

SO NOW - I JUST TAKE 1/2 TEASPOON OF THE DISTILL PURE MSM - WHICH IS PROBABLY = TO 500 MG. A FLAT LEVEL TEASPOON IS @ 1000 OR SO AND A HEAPING TEASPOON = 2000 MG- YA'LL BE CAREFUL TAKING SUPPS WHATEVER YOU DO.

I like the effects of MSM on my hair, it makes it really soft and my new growth lay down.. I love flax oil too.. Gives beautiful results, skin etc.. I have bad joints so the msm helps with that a lot.. right now, I've got hives all over my back because I took about 3k mg of MSM and didnt drink any water with it and now im paying for that.. I'm miserable.. :( So, I will be sure to drink a lot of water with it from now on. This is very informative, thanks :)

Thanks for the info. I'm taking MSM powder and a fish, flax, borage oil combo vitamin. I am going to read the entire article before deciding what to do.

I also eat a lot of fish, which has natural Omega 3. I wonder if that's got a bad side effect too???

Back