Attention: Calling all Military Transitioners/Naturals!!!

monieluv

I am having the toughest time staying natural while in the military. I confess that I have transitioned and BC'd about 3 times since '05 and then go back to relaxers. I really want to be natural, but my hair gets to a point of frizziness, dryness, and a length that I can't do anything with it. I sweat really bad in the head, and my hair basically does whatever it wants to do. It loves to be curly or wavy whether natural or relaxed. My regimen is pretty simple: co-wash 2x a week, poo and dc every weekend alternating b/t protein and moisture; I moisturize daily and seal with coconut oil, plus I take vitamins. My protectinve styles are wigs and the slick-down. Even though the regimen is simple, my hair agrees with very few products. Is there someone who can help me?

i used to wear my hair in braids (extensions) when i was in the army

and that proved to be a big help

i used to wear my hair in braids (extensions) when i was in the army

and that proved to be a big help

yea, i'm trying to steer away from braids. they keep thinning my edges. besides my hair is currently .5" long. but thanks for the comment.

Even though there are only a few products your hair agrees with, that's not a problem. Just stick with those.

At what length does your awkward stage usually occur? Is there a problem with you wearing wigs/weave when you get to that awkward stage? The reason I ask is because the first thing I do when I'm getting frustrated is put my hair up for awhile in a weave. Everyone goes through a point where they get a bit frustrated with their hair and if you want to be natural then you need to find an alternative way to deal with it.

Now if the frustration is due to the frizziness and dryness you mentioned, then you need to figure out which part of your regimen can address that. Sometimes styling a different way or using different techniques can address frizziness. And dryness means you need to stay on top of conditioning/moisturizing. Maybe you need to rinse your scalp and hair more since you say you sweat a lot.

O.K. here is my military experience. For the first 14 years, I wore it natural and it was about APL. I constantly cut it because of dryness mainly due to coloring and I didn't know the proper products to use. I was also a DAILY swimmer and the chlorine would eat my hair up! My hair resembled Diana Ross hair-do in fullness and I would air dry it on rod rollers. The next 10 years I wore a 1/2 inch fro for the rest of my career.

Because I don't have a lot of shrinkage with my 4B hair, I could always put it in a french roll or my standby (2 cornrow braids) to meet regulations. After I cut my hair to 1/2 inch there was not problem and I never gave my hair any thought or time.

Since retiring, I'm back to APL and I'm using good hair practices. This week's style will be a wash and go! I think you're head of the game because you've found LHCF now and can decide to grow it out or keep it long.

have u considered starting dreadlocks

i dont know what branch ur in but u should be fine as long as ur headress s can fit properly and ur hair is up off ur collar

when i was there there was this officer who rocked dreadlocks and she looked great

When I was in NC and since I've been in VA I keep my hair in a sock bun. To help combat the dryness and humidity I cowash daily. My fave conditioners are Mane N Tail or Herbal Essences Hello Hydration with about 1/4 to 1/2 cup melted coconut oil mixed in. If I don't bun I cornrow my own hair (so I can be sure its not too tight) and spray my whole head several times a day with either a braid spray or light spray leave in conditioner to keep the hair damp at all times.

:drunk: im in the army and i started my transition in iraq (talk about a journey) my last relaxer was in mar of 08 and i bc'd in feb 09. i had scab had like crazy and had to cut off like 2 inches. once i did that i had really soft but short 3c 4a hair and didnt want to wear it out at work. i love rocking it in civi's though because i could wear EARRINGS!!! i dont know why but they made a big dif on my confidence. since my bc i have had senagelese twists, cornrows and kinky twists and have been putting sulfur in my oil to grow it out. now it is about where i started when i first bc'd bit its super healthy. i just started the curly girl method and im loving it so far. i cowash once weekly and shampoo with a castile soap only once a month. i prepoo and deep dish every week. i only started wearing my hair out at work last week and the response was awesome. people loved it. im much more confident now. i do worry what i will do when i get to that stage when i cant put it in a pony tail put its still a little too long. however, now i put a few small cornrows in the front and apply leavin and gel in the back to define my curls. i dont like gel with really hard hold so the style holds for about 3-4 days. a couple of days b4 my cowash/wash ill spray my hair and do a twist out. or vice versa (twist out first). HTP :drunk:

have u considered starting dreadlocks

i dont know what branch ur in but u should be fine as long as ur headress s can fit properly and ur hair is up off ur collar

when i was there there was this officer who rocked dreadlocks and she looked great

I'm in the AF and dreadlocks are against the AFI, so please don't start this if you are AF. AFI just changed two years ago. I'd check the other mil regs, too.

U might want to try doing more cowashes. That has helped my hair a lot. I leave a little bit of the conditioner n my hair as a leave in. I know transitioning is already somewhat difficult but uit can be a little more challenging in the military because of regs. But dont be discouraged. You can always do twist or wash n go until your hair gets more length and u cand experiment with different stylesm

thanks for the advice. i do wear wigs, but mostly in the cold months. it too hot in the summer for wigs, which is the season where i have the problems with my hair. i moisturize and alternate with protein. i stopped coloring my hair also. don't know what the problem is. i'm trying my best not to make another trip to the barber.

Even though there are only a few products your hair agrees with, that's not a problem. Just stick with those.
At what length does your awkward stage usually occur? Is there a problem with you wearing wigs/weave when you get to that awkward stage? The reason I ask is because the first thing I do when I'm getting frustrated is put my hair up for awhile in a weave. Everyone goes through a point where they get a bit frustrated with their hair and if you want to be natural then you need to find an alternative way to deal with it.

Now if the frustration is due to the frizziness and dryness you mentioned, then you need to figure out which part of your regimen can address that. Sometimes styling a different way or using different techniques can address frizziness. And dryness means you need to stay on top of conditioning/moisturizing. Maybe you need to rinse your scalp and hair more since you say you sweat a lot.

yea, i'm trying to steer away from braids. they keep thinning my edges. besides my hair is currently .5" long. but thanks for the comment.

From someone who's done this in the past.

When wearing braids, cornrow your hair along the edges back about 1/2 inch before starting the braids, and ...for God's sake. Do not allow the "angry braiders" to do this for you or you'll suffer more thining. Learn how to maintain your edges yourself.

IHTH

From someone who's done this in the past.

When wearing braids, cornrow your hair along the edges back about 1/2 inch before starting the braids, and ...for God's sake. Do not allow the "angry braiders" to do this for you or you'll suffer more thining. Learn how to maintain your edges yourself.

IHTH

will do. thanks.

Hello, I'm also in the AF and almost 8 months into my transition. I've been holding up with phony pony's and just pulling my hair back and doing the sock bun method. I tried to flat iron a few times but didn't care for the end result. I'm retiring this year so thank goodness I will finally be able to wear it how I want it. Good luck on your hair journey.

I am in the Navy and there are a lot of natural women around. We are stationed in the Middle East. Many of them wear wigs and weaves. Some do braids. I prefer french braids (only 2) and wash n go's. Braidouts are good too. Also, I co-wash three times a week (maybe more) and I learned that IC Aloe Gel and Elasta QP Mango Butter are miracle workers.

Thank you, ladies, for your comments and advice.

I'm currently giving my hair a break. I will be rocking the lace wig for the rest of the summer. Hopefully my hair will thrive. I'm still working on a regimen for it though.

Back