ATTENTION AIR DRY LADIES

Mandy4610

To all the ladies who air dry. Please help me out, I need to figure out how to get my hair to be straight, shiney, bouncy, without any heat. How do you ladies get your hair to look perfect without blowdrying, ironing etc?

I can't. :look:

My texlaxed hair just won't do it without heat.

Even if I rollerset and airdry. My hair just does not get straight without heat.

I can get my edges to lay down with out heat, but that is about it.

Are you fully relaxed?

Then you can do a saran wrap. After you rollerset the hair, wrap it and cover with Saran Plastic wrap. sit under the dryer for 5.

I'm going to do a tutorial on it soon....as I get some saran wrap.

Check out macherieamour's blog--she has great tips (rollersets, saran wrapping, etc.) on it--very informative! ;)

I don't remember the link offhand, so if anyone else can post it here, please do.

To all the ladies who air dry. Please help me out, I need to figure out how to get my hair to be straight, shiney, bouncy, without any heat. How do you ladies get your hair to look perfect without blowdrying, ironing etc?

I'm struggling with roller sets too..I think I may be putting too much oil. It always comes out looking so stringy

Try leaving the oil alone next time or use a pomade type that you can easily use just a little bit of. For example, I rub just a little Aveda Anti-Humectant pomade in my hands and apply to the length of my hair to seal in the leave in before rollersetting. Also, some leave in already has oil, like Giovanni Direct.
Too much oil always weighs down the hair and makes it look stringy.

ETA: You could always try using just a little serum on your wet hair (and water) before rollersetting, as Vevster does.

Super bump! I want to cut down on the heat (blowdry once a week) but air drying my relaxed hair has always been a challenge. It always dries with a rough feeling or I experience breakage and shedding. I usually spray in detangler then hair cream and sealant when I want to wear my hair in a bun.

I’m terrible at rollersetting and don’t really want to put in the effort to do this since my hair’s so thick. I read in another thread it’s better to detangle as much as possible on dry hair before shampooing - I’ve never thought of this before since detangling hair with new growth usually dictates that after hair is washed, you deep condition then either finish in the shower or after using a product with slip. I’ll try the dry method next week and see what happens.

Super bump! I want to cut down on the heat (blowdry once a week) but air drying my relaxed hair has always been a challenge. It always dries with a rough feeling or I experience breakage and shedding. I usually spray in detangler then hair cream and sealant when I want to wear my hair in a bun.

I’m terrible at rollersetting and don’t really want to put in the effort to do this since my hair’s so thick. I read in another thread it’s better to detangle as much as possible on dry hair before shampooing - I’ve never thought of this before since detangling hair with new growth usually dictates that after hair is washed, you deep condition then either finish in the shower or after using a product with slip. I’ll try the dry method next week and see what happens.
I used to air dry my hair like the video below when I was relaxed. I forgot her name but the YouTuber went by the name of Hairlicious and she had her own hair forum. It closed down after some time but I learned some great tips from her as a relaxed head. My air dry results always came out soft, the front was nice and sleek and I would just put it in a bun after. At first I was scared to brush my hair while wet but using a soft boar brush was fine, it didn’t damage my hair at all and I did it for years.

I used to air dry my hair like the video below when I was relaxed. I forgot her name but the YouTuber went by the name of Hairlicious and she had her own hair forum. It closed down after some time but I learned some great tips from her as a relaxed head. My air dry results always came out soft, the front was nice and sleek and I would just put it in a bun after. At first I was scared to brush my hair while wet but using a soft boar brush was fine, it didn’t damage my hair at all and I did it for years.

Thank you! I actually already follow her YT channel but just haven’t looked at her content in a while.

I'm just air drying at the moment actually; I loosely follow Hairlicious' method, but I've adapted mine a bit.

Soak up excess water after conditioning
Apply leave ins (both protein and moisture), comb through
After about 30 minutes I'll part my hair down the middle then part in quarters and apply a small amount of cream leave in, comb through
Then apply oil
I very gently brush my roots then apply a scarf leaving the ends out
From this point, I don't constantly comb; I don't really need to
After about two hours I will split the hair back up into four then put in flexi rods ensuring that the ends are smooth onto the rod.
Doing this helps to stretch the hair a bit and aids the smoothness

Next day the hair is nice and smooth and dry so I either bun or just put my hair in my cap. These days as I'm more or less in doors I just don my silk cap until its time to wash my hair all over again. I've been doing this quite consistently now and my hair is really reaping the benefits as I'm barely touching my hair.

Back