Assess my damage please

:feedback:
Sooo... Starting off my trip to the land of healthy hair... I've got these straight pieces throughout my hair on the ends... They are pretty annoying cuz they are more so on the left side of my face than anywhere else. I had dyed my hair several times :wallbash:, the last being in the front, a really light blonde, and this is my natural hair color. Sooooo... What do I do about this? The pics are on my fotki... Hopefully I dont need to chop it off... :nono: I took these today after combing thru my shea butter olive oil conditioner mixture.
http://public.fotki.com/Tdennis44/natural-texture/

I'm asking that question because if it is heat damage you can transition it out, and just clip the ends off as your hair grows. Unfortunately once the hair is heat damage it can't go back to the original texture, to match the ends to the rest of your hair you should do styles where the curls were set, like twistouts, braidouts, rollersets, etc.

argh i always press my hair.... HARD... havent since march cuz i sweat but when i flat iron it i dont play... this should be fun...

Well yep it's heat damage. Do you want to wear your hair in it's natural state now or will you primarily straighten it? If you want to flip flop I will tell you you are going to have to set your hair to get it curly because of those ends. Flat twist with rollers on the end would probably look cute on you.

I just want to say I know I say heat damage, but in no means do I mean your hair is breaking, dry, stressed, etc, it's just that the hair has been broken down. quite honestly your hair looks healthy. Maybe you could invest in a better heat protectant, I hear people always talk about Sabino Moisture block.

i wear alot of styles but i am trying to make it curl on the ends again... i usually do twist sets and flexis inbetween presses... i just want it to grow faster and to all curl the same but it sounds like that is a distant memory from the past i will have to release lol

I was once a victim of heat damage and it took me a year of retraining my brain to just say no to heat. My hair has totaly turned around. Now I only use heat for special occasions. You should embrace your lovely curls. From what I can see, they are so cute and coily. You'll definately need to trim those ends at some point. I transitioned the bad hair out just as a previous poster said. It will take a while. You may get frustrated, but if you focus on a particularpoint of demarcation on your hair then you'll be able to tell where the healthy hair starts and where the unhealthy hair begins, and that will keep you satisfied and focused.

Deep condition twice weekly. Moisturize daily or every other day. Good luck, and HHG.

The first thing you are going to need or are going to learn is you will need a lot of patience with your hair starting out particularly if it has been altered in any way including hair dye, chemicals and/or flat ironing.

Your hair is going to take a while to adjust to what you are doing. I would say give yourself a full year of healthy hair care before you truly will see some considerable changes for the better.

Remember you have had these haircare practices for years dealing with your tresses and hair is like a large luxury ship it doesn't turn around on a dime. Some see responses quickly some don't and you are going to have to deal with the heat damage which usually results in trims.

Set up a monthly plan and then asses each month where you are not where you think you should be. Please be patient it will change, it just takes time and we are so use to seeing instant results when we deal with our hair.

HTH

Back