As a black woman I take this as a personal afront....how dare they?

navsegda said:
While I don't find the wig attractive myself, I don't think it's a matter of Chinese people viewing our hair in a negative light and trying to poke fun of it. I've seen several wigs manufactured in China that do look really nice (and are you even sure these are foreign manufactured?). Some people like the "extreme" look and honestly, I've seen crazier hairstyles and/or wigs in black hair magazines. I don't think the wig is anything to get offended by, especially since other posters have said it's popular in some places.

And as far as extreme goes, I've seen some pretty crazy wigs on white people's hair, too.

Ok, I just looked up "Motown Tress" (the company that makes the wig) and they are manufactured by Ordell, Inc., which is based in New York.

http://www.namebrandwigs.com/Motown_Tress_Wigs.shtml

It's unfair to pass judgment on a country or race based on a stigma. It would be really funny if the wig was actually designed by a black person.

The tone of the post is supposed to be funny(my dry sense of humour)...and i said WIG MANUFACTURERS(does this cover an entire race :confused: )in "China or wherever". I also don't care if it was manufactured by black, white, Chinese, Indian, etc....it's still ugly and it's still cracks me up. Even though the company is based in New York, doesn't mean the wigs are manufactured/made or designed here (which doesn't change ANYTHING i said).

Motown tresses manufactured by Oradel International Wigs
http://www.aaawigbiz.com/brand/index-motown.htm

Company seems to be an importer
http://www.beautytimes.co.kr/html_page/link1.asp

Last edited:
I've seen that style in the BSS before and it was called "Mini-Marley", not "afro-curl". Either way, it DID sell and was VERY popular, especially amongst our African clientele.

Blame the Chinese all day long. It's the Black people who bought it.

:eek: :mad: Now I think it is just SO WRONG of you to talk about my favorite wig like that! You and your high and mighty LONG, STRAIGHT hair ain't BETTER than my twisty kinks!!! How dare you! How dare you impose your beauty values on me! Noooooo!!!!!

:lachen: I am SOOOOO JOKING!!!!:lachen: But seriously, somebody might think this wig is cute.... :lachen: Y'all ready to go off on me now, huh?!?:lachen:

BackToMyRoots said:
The tone of the post is supposed to be funny(my dry sense of humour)...and i said WIG MANUFACTURERS(does this cover an entire race :confused: )in "China or wherever". I also don't care if it was manufactured by black, white, Chinese, Indian, etc....it's still ugly and it's still cracks me up. Even though the company is based in New York, doesn't mean the wigs are manufactured/made or designed here (which doesn't change ANYTHING i said).

Motown tresses manufactured by Oradel International Wigs
http://www.aaawigbiz.com/brand/index-motown.htm

Company seems to be an importer
http://www.beautytimes.co.kr/html_page/link1.asp
I said race OR country because you said wig manufacturers in China (not everyone in China is Chinese but a good majority of them are). Even though you did add "or wherever," attention was drawn to China because that's what you listed before that. If you had said "France or wherever", attention still would have been drawn to that country as the main subject because you gave an actual place, whereas "wherever" is just generally speaking and is much more encompassing. The tone would be a lot different if you hadn't mentioned a specific country at all. And the fact that you said "our hair" and that you took an affront in the same context of where it was manufactured made it seem like the manufacturer was of a different race and just didn't understand how black women wear their hair. Even though your intentions might not have been to perpetuate a stigma, there is a huge stigma that exists about China or other Asian countries (and people from any of them) and black haircare/products.

But in any event, I'm not going to tell you how you think or feel because I'm sure you know what goes on in your head better than I do (even though I am a neuroscientist, I cannot read people's minds hahaha). The previous post and my post now are just meant to clarify what I interpreted from your post (and judging from another response, I'm not the only one who thought that). And from your post, it originally sounded as if you were angry because you thought that the wig was manufactured in China and took offense that they assumed our hair looked like that and were making a sort of mockery. However, it is hard to pick up on someone's tone 100% because you are typing over a computer, so I can understand if you attempted to be funny and just didn't get it across properly. Even in real life, it's hard to pick up on people's intentions a lot of the time. I remember as a senior in high school, I was in drawing class and I didn't like a particular stool because it was too low, so I switched it out with another one (like I did often) and a girl in my class saw me switch it out and SWORE up and down that I did that because a student with Trisomy 21 (Down Syndrome) had sat on it before me, which was COMPLETELY false as he definitely wasn't the only one who ever sat on the stool I didn't like.

Thanks for clarifying what you really meant.

Last edited:
navsegda said:
I said race OR country because you said wig manufacturers in China (not everyone in China is Chinese but a good majority of them are). Even though you did add "or wherever," attention was drawn to China because that's what you listed before that. If you had said "France or wherever", attention still would have been drawn to that country as the main subject because you gave an actual place, whereas "wherever" is just generally speaking and is much more encompassing. The tone would be a lot different if you hadn't mentioned a specific country at all. And the fact that you said "our hair" and that you took an affront in the same context of where it was manufactured made it seem like the manufacturer was of a different race and just didn't understand how black women wear their hair. Even though your intentions might not have been to perpetuate a stigma, there is a huge stigma that exists about China or other Asian countries (and people from any of them) and black haircare/products.

But in any event, I'm not going to tell you how you think or feel because I'm sure you know what goes on in your head better than I do (even though I am a neuroscientist, I cannot read people's minds hahaha). The previous post and my post now are just meant to clarify what I interpreted from your post (and judging from another response, I'm not the only one who thought that). And from your post, it originally sounded as if you were angry because you thought that the wig was manufactured in China and took offense that they assumed our hair looked like that and were making a sort of mockery. However, it is hard to pick up on someone's tone 100% because you are typing over a computer, so I can understand if you attempted to be funny and just didn't get it across properly. Even in real life, it's hard to pick up on people's intentions a lot of the time. I remember as a senior in high school, I was in drawing class and I didn't like a particular stool because it was too low, so I switched it out with another one (like I did often) and a girl in my class saw me switch it out and SWORE up and down that I did that because a student with Trisomy 21 (Down Syndrome) had sat on it before me, which was COMPLETELY false as he definitely wasn't the only one who ever sat on the stool I didn't like.

Thanks for clarifying what you really meant.

I'm not going to get into a long drawn out debate about this...don't have the energy or the time. ITA that it hard to distinguish one's tone over the internet...and you don't know me personally so you are any of the other posters would not be familiar with my sense of humor. I used the title to draw people in...displayed a sense of outrage...used the post to create build-up and when they clicked on the link hopefully...laughter...which many people got and did.

I mentioned China because mostly likely it was manufactured there...As to whether the plant is Chinese owned or not I don't know...and I wasn't speaking to that. The wig name said AFRO-CURL (implying an afro hair in its natural state) My hair or any other afro i've seen has never looked like that....as to who came up with the designs who knows...It just not true to the reality..which was my point...hence my "outrage" and amusement...I am just as amused and "outraged" at the some of the RIDICULOUS hair styles I see in black magazines...Salons..etc.

RelaxerRehab said:
:eek: :mad: Now I think it is just SO WRONG of you to talk about my favorite wig like that! You and your high and mighty LONG, STRAIGHT hair ain't BETTER than my twisty kinks!!! How dare you! How dare you impose your beauty values on me! Noooooo!!!!!

:lachen: I am SOOOOO JOKING!!!!:lachen: But seriously, somebody might think this wig is cute.... :lachen: Y'all ready to go off on me now, huh?!?:lachen:
:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

This wig and similar ones to this ( this is not the worse i've seen) are verypopular in the UK especially amongst Nigerian women ( i'm Nigerian myself before people try and jump on me)I call it the "porcupine" wig. Its like natural hair that has been imagined in an alternate universe. I have actually been looking for a pic of it myself.:lol:

I have only seen the cleaning ladies at my job wear that. I don't like it at all. Now i do not know what all of their hair looks like underneath but one chick lost all of her edges from perming her hair to death and another- her hair starts in the middle of her head and yes she is still perming(way worse than Susan Taylor).

caligirl said:
That is a really popular wig. I have seen at least 5 different women wearing that wig here in D.C.

You're right. I have a friend that has one and it doesn't look that bad in person. But I wouldn't wear it. I think it's ugly. :lol: Women on the weave/wig pictures tend to look busted anyway.

There is an older woman that takes my step classes. She wears this exact wig in burgandy and has nerve to wear a plastic cap over it when she goes into the pool :lol:

CandiceC said:
I literally laughed out loud. Who would wear that? :perplexed

Believeit or not...I just saw a woman in the subway wearing this EXACT same wig.
Except it was not black with blonde highlights, but black and RED !!!:lol:

I thought about this thread at once :lachen:

carameldiva said:
I have only seen the cleaning ladies at my job wear that. I don't like it at all. Now i do not know what all of their hair looks like underneath but one chick lost all of her edges from perming her hair to death and another- her hair starts in the middle of her head and yes she is still perming(way worse than Susan Taylor).

Could you imagine them scrubbing something and the little porcupine spikes on their head shaking. :lol:

Honi said:
There is an older woman that takes my step classes. She wears this exact wig in burgandy and has nerve to wear a plastic cap over it when she goes into the pool :lol:

She doesn't want it to come off and float away! :lachen:

CandiceC said:
Could you imagine them scrubbing something and the little porcupine spikes on their head shaking. :lol:
For some reason, the way you said this seemed extremely funny to me. :lol: I can actually visualize them moving around at random.

navsegda said:
For some reason, the way you said this seemed extremely funny to me. :lol: I can actually visualize them moving around at random.

:lachen: from what I've seen though, they tend to not move. The hair is very coarse and stiff feeling. It actually feels like plastic. Maybe that brand feels different but this is not a flattering synthetic overall.

ToyToy said:
You would be surprised at how many women actually buy that stuff!! I live in London (UK) and I have seen so many women with that wig. It was especially popular around last year. I can't even count how many women I've seen wearing it - in all different colours as well!

Bless their hearts.

CandiceC said:
She doesn't want it to come off and float away! :lachen:

Girl why you make me laugh loud for real at work. They all looked at me like I was crazy. I really did picture the wig floating away. stop! :lachen: :lachen:

OOOh that wig is horrible. I hope I never see that wig on someone in person. I don't think I can control myself. I know I would laugh, like that little lachen70 smiley.

Letitia said:
Girl why you make me laugh loud for real at work. They all looked at me like I was crazy. I really did picture the wig floating away. stop! :lachen: :lachen:
:lol:

Lifeguard: "Everybody get out of the pool! There's a porcupine in the water!" :eek: Why is that black woman chasing after it?

I almost cracked up laughing and I'm at school. All of those wigs on that first page looks a HAM and they got the nerves to want $31.49 for dat wig plus shipping...we should email them and say...stop playing:lachen:

sweetwhispers said:
This wig and similar ones to this ( this is not the worse i've seen) are verypopular in the UK especially amongst Nigerian women ( i'm Nigerian myself before people try and jump on me)I call it the "porcupine" wig. Its like natural hair that has been imagined in an alternate universe. I have actually been looking for a pic of it myself.:lol:

Another Nigerian chiming in! :lol: Girl that wig is the rave in Ojuelegba! Them girls be rocking it for real. A lot of my aunties have it in burgundy. I'm not brave enough to wear it, but I've seen some ladies who actually look cute in it. This one time I saw a group of three friends, who did the co-ordinate - your - clothes - to - a - party thing, and they all had that same wig on. :p

I don't take offense, it's a style that a lot of people obviously like. The PorcuSpikes. :D

Back