Are you using too many products on your hair,

Nanyanika

at any one time? after my weekly washing and conditioning regime i usually detangle with s-curl and better braids, then i add Actiwave lotion followed by an oil moisturiser and Fantasia ic shea butter sheen spray. After all this my hair is soaking, however i aim to restore as much moisture as possible throughout the airdrying process. Does anyone apply a lot of products to their hair? i.e. conditioners, moisturisers etc.

I used to. However, I realize that, like my skin, my hair cannot tak the use of too many products. It clearly does much better when I use fewer products.

Simplicity can be best.

northernbelle

Hmm, good question. I certainly use more than one, but at different stages of airdrying. When my hair is wet, I apply a leave-in and a creamy moisturizer. I let it airdry until the ends have gotten a little damp. Then, I lightly add some monoi oil or a little WGO, bun it, tie it, and go to sleep. I sometimes put a little surge around my hairline. But, i hear you about the moisture! I have 2 inches or text. hair and the rest is relaxed straight. I NEED to keep my hair moisturized to prevent breakage at the demarcation line. So, I say, if it is working for you, keep doing it. This is working for me. It may be too much, but it works.

I use three pproducts:

My conditioner, my moisturizer, and my leave in from Pantene. On some days Ill use coconut Oil to do my twist outs

[ QUOTE ]
ubavka123 said:
Hmm, good question. I certainly use more than one, but at different stages of airdrying. When my hair is wet, I apply a leave-in and a creamy moisturizer. I let it airdry until the ends have gotten a little damp. Then, I lightly add some monoi oil or a little WGO, bun it, tie it, and go to sleep. I sometimes put a little surge around my hairline. But, i hear you about the moisture! I have 2 inches or text. hair and the rest is relaxed straight. I NEED to keep my hair moisturized to prevent breakage at the demarcation line. So, I say, if it is working for you, keep doing it. This is working for me. It may be too much, but it works.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its helping my hair retain moisture this way. The only possible downfall is build-up.

I use on average just two - my leave-in and coconut oil. Some days, I'll add a curl enhancer and a crunch reducer (pomade).

[ QUOTE ]
northernbelle said:
I used to. However, I realize that, like my skin, my hair cannot tak the use of too many products. It clearly does much better when I use fewer products.

Simplicity can be best.

northernbelle

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA - I'm trying to narrow my product usage as much as I can. I'm doing pretty good so far...but I'm still trying! I'd like to chop it down to 1 leave-in conditioner...and two conditioners (one daily...one weekly). As for oils/moisturizers...I like to mix them so I think it's ok to use more than one or two...especially for hot oils treatments.

after washing and conditioning, i use Pantene Light Spray to detangle and Surge Hair Revitalizer on my scalp. I sometimes but Profectiv Roothealth on my roots. For moisture, I use either Pantene R&N Daily Oil Cream, Wild Growth Oil, or S-Curl No Drip... or a combination of 2 or all three!
shocked.gif

I always wonder if this is too many products. Before I ever joined this forum, the only hair product I used was grease and oil sheen spray.
laugh.gif

Even if keeping your hair moisturize helps with no breakage, can too many products cause more breakage???
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:

Even if keeping your hair moisturize helps with no breakage, can too many products cause more breakage???
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that if you are using a lot of products that contain protein it could. As a transitioner...I'm finding that the less protein I use...the better.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
after washing and conditioning, i use Pantene Light Spray to detangle and Surge Hair Revitalizer on my scalp. I sometimes but Profectiv Roothealth on my roots. For moisture, I use either Pantene R&N Daily Oil Cream, Wild Growth Oil, or S-Curl No Drip... or a combination of 2 or all three!
shocked.gif

I always wonder if this is too many products. Before I ever joined this forum, the only hair product I used was grease and oil sheen spray.
laugh.gif

confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought i used too many products
shocked.gif
laugh.gif
Good question.

I confess that I too use too many products sometimes. There have been times that after washing and conditioning Ive used Pantene Detangle, Salerm, Elasta QP recovery, Loreal smooth intense antifrizz serum, AND Africas best herbal oil. See the problem is I can never make up my mind what Im gonna use, and as my hair air dries, if it feels dry I will add more of a random product to try to raise moisture. I will try try TRY to start using 3 or less! but I love them all....lol.

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:
I confess that I too use too many products sometimes. There have been times that after washing and conditioning Ive used Pantene Detangle, Salerm, Elasta QP recovery, Loreal smooth intense antifrizz serum, AND Africas best herbal oil. See the problem is I can never make up my mind what Im gonna use, and as my hair air dries, if it feels dry I will add more of a random product to try to raise moisture. I will try try TRY to start using 3 or less! but I love them all....lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO
laugh.gif

I use multiple products but not on all of my hair. After washing, I use Surge and Nexxus Biotin Creme on my temples and edges only. Then I use a creamy leave-in all over, then extra leave-n on the ends with an oil all over to seal. Daily, I use the temples/edges treatment, and moisturize and oil my ends only.

[ QUOTE ]
silvergirl said:
product what products?? lol.. after wash an condition the only thing i apply is oil.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish my hair could benefit from just an application of oil after conditioning
smile.gif

I use a lot of products too. I thought it was just because I was a product junkie.....now I just listen to my hair. I use what works..I currently use Surge Power wash, Sure Revitalizer 14, Sure Motion#9 oil, Surge Woojee Cream, Garnier Fructis Molding Putty, Vitamin E gel and Black & Sassy Triple Growth Oil. I may even add an extra leave-in conditioner sometime.

I think my hair must be some sort of stepchild of the LHCF heads. /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I could NEVER use that much stuff on my hair. I can use a leave in (watery) and serum togther at MOST right after a wash. If I use a creamy leave in I can't use anything else. More than this, and it's like I've put gum in my hair....or watered down glue. My hair LITERALLY sticks together.

After washing and conditioning I apply a hair oil and apply a hair grease to the ends. Sometimes, I will add a thermal stlying lotion or leave in conditioner if I want my rollerset to last a few days.

No, I am a simple lady as of right now. I use suave conditioners with few oils and aveda leave in elixir. I save money plus my hair does better with less.

I think less is best in my case. I wash and condition, afterwards I usually use creamy leave in. Sometimes* I'll use a little serum if I airdry but rarely. During the week I usually use nothing really, maybe a dimed sized amount of moisturizer on the ends. My hair can't take a lot of products at all /images/graemlins/nono.gif

Back