Are you still "natural" if you...

Lucia

Ladies
I'm confused those wjo are natural but only texturize their edges still considered naturals?
Thpse who only do their edges do you classify yourself as natural? do just the edges really even count?

Many will say "No!".

Texturizing edges to make them "curlier" or blend in with the "curlier" hair on the head for an even look can be seen as "treason" to the "natural cause" by some, whatever said "cause" may be.

Disclaimer:
I'm natural (virgin haired at that), simply because I choose to be so. I have no agenda. :lachen:

In the effort to be (somewhat :grin:) unbiased, saying one is "natural" with texturized edges is misleading and can be a bit confusing.

If you say you wear a "natural style", it could be more accurate. Bone straight "bone-laxed" relaxed ladies who wear braid outs could say they are "wearing a natural style" but are not "natural".

Same for the texlaxed and texturized. Natural-looking styles/hair vs. truly natural and/or virgin hair (natural hair sans color).

What you're referring to is called a "Halo" on many boards, I might add.

I think people should do what makes them happy.:yep:

But be prepared to describe your hair as accurately as possible to avoid charges of "posing", which may include mentioning you have a "halo" or texturize, texlax, etc. People can get a bit vicious about others and their label's lack of "accuracy" on forums. :ohwell:

Though, at the end of the day, what ends up in your signature is up to you. :drunk:

Last edited:
What you're referring to is called a "Halo" on many boards, I might add.

:drunk:

Is this really common?

ETA sorry NM I thought you were refering to the texturized hair as the halo. Not the natural hair.

I was asking if it was common to texturize edges.

Last edited:
Why do you have to be only one thing though?

I feel like I'm the crazy one saying that such a person would relaxed and natural :lol:

but it's true... the little bit of relaxed hair around the edges doesn't mean that the person is not dealing with a head full of natural hair.

There's a one drop rule for hair too, y'all? :lol:

What is it about your edges that makes you want to relax them?

I understand that the "halo" can be annoying, but in my experience the edges are the softest, least resistant and most susceptible to damage of any area...there are several natural/non permanent solutions that would probably be strong enough to "lay them down" if that's what you really wanted. :yep:

perfectscore had a thread about Nivea the other day and a little tin of that is 99 cents! :grin:

Wow! I agree, I didn't know there was a one drop rule for hair either! My 7 year old niece has natural hair w/texturized edges. The reason why is because her edges are so incredibly tightly curled that NOTHING lays them flat. I consider her natural because easing the curl pattern just enough to be able to tame her edges to me doesn't negate the rest of the thick, beautiful natural curls on her head. I guess I never thought about it. Of course the texturizer has grown out now so I guess she's back to being 100 percent natural again.

I never thought about it like that but you're right.

I understand that the "halo" can be annoying,

It's the annoying part. A halo can completely throw off whatever look you're going for, especially if you started the day with your edges laying flat and over the course of the day they start riding up.

Regardless of anybody's definiton on what unkept means, halo's don't usually look like something somebody 'meant' to do.

I discourage people from relaxing just the edges cuz I think it leads to more problems down the line, but I definitely understand why the urge is strong.

why are you texlaixng yo edges only? i thought that was a nono?

i would say you were not fully natural...maybe semi-natural?

Even with an explanation, I find the whole relaxing only the edges thing a little weird. I am having a hard time understanding this halo business. I dunno, maybe I've never had this problem? Anyone have a pic?

Last edited:
Why do edges need to lay flat in the first place? But I would consider that person who felt the need to relax their edges both. Or, mostly natural.

Ermm...am I the odd one out that loves halos? :rofl:

When I was a kid, my 3B and higher girls used to have natural halos. I thought it was so cute that I would pull out some of my 4B hair to force a halo.

I've never had a problem with halos. Never liked hair that looks like it's glued to your head. (Y'all know the hairdos I'm talking about; I'm proud to say I never got touched by the madness--thank heavens I don't follow fashion.) It's different if you have hair that usually smooths down that way on its own; but to go out of my way to get my hair to do what doesn't come naturally, er...Girl, bye!

In fact, behold my very much treasured (NATURAL, I might add) halo. The natural there isn't w/r/t texture but rather to the fact that this happened w/o me actually forcing the halo. Woot woot! :woot:
ffandTuffwithmyAfroPuffOct2008-vi.jpg

And if anyone has a problem with it, Girl, bye! I think my hair, halo and all, is da bomb so there! :lol:

Back to topic, I had no idea it was so serious that folks relax their edges lest they get a halo. :huh: I didn't get the gelling hair down obsession but...wow, so this is common? Who knew!

So are you still natural if you do this? You're part natural, part relaxed. Or to be more precise, mostly natural but processed along the perimeter. I think it'd be a lie to be sporting a pony tail and then someone comments on your different textures and you just pass it off as if that's how your hair grew ie multi-textured. :rolleyes: That's what saying you're natural would be inferred to mean. Not that it should really matter to anyone what you call your hair. But it will matter. Coz that's how people are. You'll either be accused of fronting, or lying, if you omit to share the fact that the edge is relaxed.

If I did it, I'd be clear about it. "Are you natural?" My response: I'm mostly natural; my edges are texlaxed. And then I'd KIM.

I understand that the "halo" can be annoying, but in my experience the edges are the softest, least resistant and most susceptible to damage of any area...there are several natural/non permanent solutions that would probably be strong enough to "lay them down" if that's what you really wanted. :yep:

perfectscore had a thread about Nivea the other day and a little tin of that is 99 cents! :grin:

I don't want to texturize my edges, relaxers and me don't mix at all. I saw this posted on the boards, and I couldn't understand how they called themselves natural? I didn't even know they had a name for it. I'm just asking a question to clear up my confusion about it that's all.

Last edited:
I've never had a problem with halos. Never liked hair that looks like it's glued to your head. (Y'all know the hairdos I'm talking about; I'm proud to say I never got touched by the madness--thank heavens I don't follow fashion.) It's different if you have hair that usually smooths down that way on its own; but to go out of my way to get my hair to do what doesn't come naturally, er...Girl, bye!

This is why I love you girl!

Nonie, you are not alone, I love my halo. I rarely try to do anything to make it lay down. I always look like a kid fresh off of the playground. Even now and my hair is flat ironed at this moment.

what's this halo effect. pics?

Bachelorette, will you pay attention in class! :bat: I posted a picture.:rolleyes: J/K :giggle:

Not the best example but basically a halo is when hair doesn't smooth down along the hairline but stands up and looks furry/fuzzy, so you look like a saint :angel: Bless me!

Lol, you mean those few tufts of hair sticking out is the halo everyone is referring to? If I get halos, I can't say I've ever noticed it enough to want to do something about it.

Bachelorette, will you pay attention in class! :bat: I posted a picture.:rolleyes: J/K :giggle:

Not the best example but basically a halo is when hair doesn't smooth down along the hairline but stands up and looks furry/fuzzy, so you look like a saint :angel: Bless me!

I wouldn't call it "natural"--but I don't think you can discount the rest of all the natural hair. So like a PP said--I'd consider you a natural with texturized edges. lol That was easy.

Lol, you mean those few tufts of hair sticking out is the halo everyone is referring to? If I get halos, I can't say I've ever noticed it enough to want to do something about it.

Yep. This is a better picture of a halo:
PSC001017651-comp.jpg

Why do you have to be only one thing though?

I feel like I'm the crazy one saying that such a person would relaxed and natural :lol:

but it's true... the little bit of relaxed hair around the edges doesn't mean that the person is not dealing with a head full of natural hair.

Exactly. You're making too much sense.

Back