Are you completely shampoo free (no-poo)?

JudithO

Hello people...

Have been wondering about this...

Has anyone been able to go completely shampoo free? I know my hair would love it.. but my scalp? I feel like my scalp will never be clean, or my scalp will turn very flaky.

Any thoughts? BTW my hair and scalp are very dry naturally.

Please share your products, methods, tips etc

Me and dd are poo free. I use Wen when i just have to "cleanse". other than that, i cowash all day erry day. My hair does not like shampoo i've come to learn. I think the only time i'd use it is if i were to go swimming or something drastic happens and my hair gets really dirty for some odd reason.

I use DevaCurl Low Poo once a week to cleanse my scalp. The only time I use sulfate shampoo's are when my hair is straight and I need to wash out the silicones. I have never clarified my hair or anything since I joined the board and I've been fine. What helps me is to concentrate all my products on my ends first, and then bring the excess up the hair shaft. This way very little gets on my scalp, and the oldest parts of my hair get the most moisture.

I can't even remember the last time I Poo'ed. I've been using my Terressentials Mud Wash, african black soap or co-washing to cleanse my hair. It's working out great and my hair doesn't feel dry or stripped ever.

I have gone in and out of poo vs. no poo over the years.

I shampoo once a week these days and alternate it with cowashing. Sometimes I skip a week depending on how I wear my hair, how much product I use, etc and just co-wash, but I shampoo at least twice a month. Products that drive to shampoo are gels, products with 'cones, and heavy butters.

I concentrate the shampoo on my scalp for the most part. Sometimes I use my Curl Junkie Daily Fix on my hair which works well.

Last edited:
As i.went natural i started using Only condit too.wash hair. If you want it cleaner add à spoon of baking soda .put less or.more depending on What your hair likes . I then used shampoo.it.dried my hair.But.now Im.back too.shampoo it.my hair turns out Great because i always prepoo with oil .no dryness with shampoo any more.

I only shampoo my scalp, so I guess you can say I'm no-poo. I use a long nozzle applicator bottle w/diluted shampoo. Shampoo completely strips my hair. My hair is already covered in moisture pre-poo and deep conditioner (AO GPB) by the time the shampoo hits my scalp, I rinse it all out as a deep-conditioner-cowash.

Nope coz I like shampoo. :) The wrong shampoo can dry your hair out but the right shampoo for your hair type is no problem if u use it correctly.

Yes i am now any kind of shampoo that lathers WILL frizz my hair regardless of whether its sulphate free or not my hair is prone to frizz naturally so im not going to enhance the frizz:nono:

I dont section my hair when i wash it i part it in half and thoroughly rinse each half of my hair for 5 -6 minutes then i no-poo and stimulate the scalp for another 5-6 minutes massaging the scalp vigorously until i feel my scalp tingling from the blood flow then rinse apply some more conditioner and start the other half

Last edited:
Thanks for responding ladies... i tried the tessentials mud wash and even though loved it, my hair started stinking like 4 days after... black soap dried my hair out so bad, it took several trips to ulta to solve the problem. I currently use a conditioner that leaves no residue so ill try cowashing with my next wash. Else ill just dilute shampoo and use on my scalp only.

I was pretty much no poo when I was relaxed (only poo'ed when I relaxed). Now that Im natural I find that no poo leaves me feeling not so clean. Ive been using terressentials, bentonite clay and diluted castle soap for over a year now (terressentials I started using about 5 months now)

My scalp never got clean with conditioner, no matter the product.
I have a normal scalp and dry hair.

No Poo Here. :nono:

It tears my scalp up. I only use it when I neutralize and also clarify.

If I feel I need a heavy cleansing, I'll use a Cleansing Conditioner. And there are some pretty good cleansing conditioners and clarifying conditioners on the market for that extra cleansing.

Nope coz I like shampoo. :) The wrong shampoo can dry your hair out but the right shampoo for your hair type is no problem if u use it correctly.

My sentiments exactly, I live in a very hard water area and I need to shampoo regularly.

My hair loves shampoo, but my scalp hates it so I have decided my scalp wins. I have been using a mixture of Ayurvedic powders to clean my hair and scalp then co washing afterwards, so far its been working fine. My hair feels clean and the curls are defined from root to tip..

Back