Are Yarn Braids Safe?

that_1_grrrl

Hey All,

I was bored and trying to figure out how to thread wrap hair. Well, when I was on youtube, I looked it up under "Silky Dreads". All I got was Goth girls installing dreadlocks. I watched one video and tried the braiding technique used in it, using my knitting yarn. It was so easy to braid and the take down didn't consist of me ripping my hair out like braiding my natural hair does!

So... before I get bored again and end up yarn braiding my hair, I just need to know if they are safe (i.e. no breakage and not drying)? Also, would baggying while in braids be a bad idea?

Thanks!

I've heard varying things.

Some say that as long as you use acrylic yarn, and take care of your hair, it'll be fine.
Others say no matter what they do, it leaves their hair dry, rough, and breaking.

I go back and forth on it - I don't think I would install them in the winter - I'd definitely want to wait for humid weather, at the very least. :perplexed

YES!YES!YES!
It works.
I am texlaxed now but about 8 years ago my sister put me on to this. I did a bc and put the yarn in (myself) It was very easy to put in, maintain, and remove. I got soooooo much growth from them. Usually when I would go to the African braiding shop the braids I'd get would last a couple of months, and my hair would grow great but when it came time to take them out...arrrrrrr:wallbash:. It was broken, tangles and a pure hot mess. No matter how much I washed. It was terrible. But I loved the yarn .It was much less aggravating. Plus it was really cute. And to tell you the truth I don't know about buying this type and that type I just used the regular ol' 99cent roll from the craft section at the Walmart. HTH.

Back