Are wearing microbraids a detriment to your hair?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
G

My supervisor had beautiful hair until she started wearing microbraids. I don't know if it is genes or the microbraids themselves, but, yesterday, I noticed that her scalp was way too visible (like hair was missing). Do people know the dangers of microbraids?

I think they look so cute but, her experience with them, makes me very leery.

I wore microbraids for ages and they are only damaging if they are done too tight or without the twist and pull removal style. Some people like completely neat braids and braid the hair line too tight, that is usually where breakage starts. By avoiding braiding in this area and by making sure that whoever does your braids doesn't do them too tight, they are fine.

hey bett1, like all kinds of hair styles microbraids if not taken care of properly WILL damage and break hair. i also agree wit what londongirl sed as about braidin them too tight coz the most common problem wit them is wen u pull yo hair back and yo hairline starts to recede /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

however londongirl, havin the whole of yo hairline dont dont mean that it will break coz i had my hair done in micro's last week for school and as long as i dont pull them back too tight then my hair=line is ok /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ngaa /images/graemlins/drunk.gif
p.s. what is the twist and pull method?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
londongirl3 said:
Well the best microbraids are the ones twisted at the bottom so that you can untwist and pull them out when unbraiding.

[/ QUOTE ]
__
I am not sure how hers were done but they were beautiful.

I've been wearing microbraids for 2.5 years now and I have had no major problems. Actually when my hair was relaxed they were murder on my hair, but when I went natural the damage stopped. The microbraids themselves aren't damaging, but taking them out is where a lot of people damage their hair(especially if the hair is relaxed)if they aren't careful. Also to prevent breakage around the edges it is important to have the edges redone to prevent from the weight of the braids breaking off the hair.HTH

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
legs71 said:
I've been wearing microbraids for 2.5 years now and I have had no major problems. Actually when my hair was relaxed they were murder on my hair, but when I went natural the damage stopped. The microbraids themselves aren't damaging, but taking them out is where a lot of people damage their hair(especially if the hair is relaxed)if they aren't careful. Also to prevent breakage around the edges it is important to have the edges redone to prevent from the weight of the braids breaking off the hair.HTH

[/ QUOTE ]
__
My supervisor has a relaxer so maybe that is why she had breakage.

Bett1e, another way microbraids can break one's hair is if the braided sections are too small and the hair attached to them is chunkier than the sections to which it's attached. Meaning one's hair is forced to bear more weight than it can handle. Not good.
naughty.gif

I posted this so long ago I was surprised to see it was my post. I think my supervisor has permanent hair loss from the microbraids. She wears a weave when they are out and then puts the braids back in. However, her sister lost her hair as she aged as well. I have a co-worker who has female heriditary baldness.

LOL...I didn't even notice this this post was that old until you just mentioned it. I saw it pulled up to front page and just thought it was new..LOL..my bad

Back