Are we a nation divided against itself?

FrazzledFraggle

Are we becoming a nation divided against itself?

The House Divided Speech was an address given by Abraham Lincoln (who would later become President of the United States) on June 16, 1858, at what was then the Illinois State Capitol in Springfield, upon accepting the Illinois Republican Party's nomination as that state's United States senator. The speech became the launching point for his unsuccessful campaign for the Senate seat held by Stephen A. Douglas; this campaign would climax with the Lincoln-Douglas debates of 1858.

Mr. Lincoln's remarks in Springfield created an image of the danger of slavery-based disunion, and it rallied Republicans across the North. Along with the Gettysburg Address and his second inaugural address, this became one of the best-known speeches of his career.

The best-known passage of the speech is:

A house divided against itself cannot stand. I believe this government cannot endure, permanently, half slave and half free. I do not expect the Union to be dissolved — I do not expect the house to fall — but I do expect it will cease to be divided. It will become all one thing or all the other. Either the opponents of slavery will arrest the further spread of it, and place it where the public mind shall rest in the belief that it is in the course of ultimate extinction; or its advocates will push it forward, till it shall become alike lawful in all the States, old as well as new — North as well as South.

The speech contains the quotation "A house divided against itself cannot stand," which is taken from Mark 3:25 "And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand."

Lincoln was specifically referring to the division of the country between slave and free states. However, the "house divided" phrase had been used by others before, and by Lincoln himself in another context in 1843.

Most famously, eight years before Lincoln's speech, during the Senate debate on the Compromise of 1850, Sam Houston had proclaimed: "A nation divided against itself cannot stand" (Mark 3:24).

Matthew 12:25; Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, "Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand."

Obama has four more years and we will all continue to pray earnestly for our president as Shimmie andpebbles have called us to do. This is not about the persons of Obama and Romney. This is about the division that is going on in our country and will continue to go on even after the end of Obama's Presidency.

How can we continue to be a strong nation (not just now but in the future) if our nation is divided on most ideals almost right down the middle?

In the popular vote, the latest numbers suggest an Obama victory of 50.4 percent to Romney’s 48.1.

I think about Bible prophecy and I wonder with all our current "power"...if the United States has an important role in the end times. Do you think the United States will exist once the end times begin or do you think that perhaps the United States is included with all the other nations that reject God in the end times (Revelation 10:11; 11:18; 12:5; 14:8; 15:4; 16:19; 17:15; 18:3,23; 19:15)?

Last edited:
There's a definite divide and it's been growing....but not for long.

However, I'm no fool, I'm on the Lord's side and that's where I'm staying.

The other side wants to sin against God which unfortunately is the popular side; no one wants to be accountable for sin and they have multiple leaders who say they don't have to be accountable.

Romney was no better a choice, however he did have sense enough to stay more closely principled with the Bible, Mormon or not.

2016 will be interestly different. The Republicans are going to fight harder and they intend to win and more than likely they will, however I see a more stable conservative in the forefront whom the people will support.

Here's why: 'Judgement is coming' and many hearts will turn towards not wanting to offend God. There will still be a divide, but not as wide.

Last edited:
I rarely post but my heart has compelled me to do so. I am afraid that we are a house divided.

America has rebelled against God. She has shaken her fist at Him and arrogantly cried, "We don't need you. We don't want you. We know better than you. Now go away." We excuse sin. We call that which God calls an abomination, "equality."We call that which God calls murder, "reproductive choice."

America not only has spiritual and moral issues we have economic issues. Should the spending in the U.S. continue spiral out of control and the economic crisis in the United States will deepen causing yet another recession and eventually a bankrupt nation.

Not to mention the various natural disaster, disease and pestilence sweeping the world.

Matthew 24:7
For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

Bottom Line! We are living in the last days. I agree with Shimmie judgment is coming to America!

Hosea talks of judgment against the nation that "plays the harlot" before God: "Though they bring up their children, yet I will bereave them to the last man. Yes, woe to them when I depart from them!" (Hosea 9:12)

"The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities — his eternal power and divine nature — have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse." (Romans 1:18-20)

However, we saints should not fear! Jesus said he will never leave us nor forsake us.

Christ is faithful. He has promised: "Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock." (Matthew 7:24-25)

Let’s continue to pray for the people in America, our families and each other. God bless!!

I rarely post but my heart has compelled me to do so. I am afraid that we are a house divided.

America has rebelled against God. She has shaken her fist at Him and arrogantly cried, "We don't need you. We don't want you. We know better than you. Now go away." We excuse sin. We call that which God calls an abomination, "equality."We call that which God calls murder, "reproductive choice."

America not only has spiritual and moral issues we have economic issues. Should the spending in the U.S. continue spiral out of control and the economic crisis in the United States will deepen causing yet another recession and eventually a bankrupt nation.

Not to mention the various natural disaster, disease and pestilence sweeping the world.

Matthew 24:7
For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

Bottom Line! We are living in the last days. I agree with Shimmie judgment is coming to America!

Hosea talks of judgment against the nation that "plays the harlot" before God: "Though they bring up their children, yet I will bereave them to the last man. Yes, woe to them when I depart from them!" (Hosea 9:12)

"The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities — his eternal power and divine nature — have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse." (Romans 1:18-20)

However, we saints should not fear! Jesus said he will never leave us nor forsake us.

Christ is faithful. He has promised: "Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock." (Matthew 7:24-25)

Let’s continue to pray for the people in America, our families and each other. God bless!!

This is so on point - lately I have afraid of growing discouraged.

The Matthew 7 scripture is exactly what I needed to hear and has brought peace to my weary soul.

Thank you...

Back