Are trims really necessary?

Brandi

I'm not salon dependent, so I go to the salon for chemical services only every 8 wks. In the meantime, I do my own hair normally wash and rollersets. Every time I go to the salon, I get a trim as if it's part of the service but I don't always feel its' always necessary.

Just curious has anyone avoiding the trims and for how long? Did you end up with a major cut as a result. I'm thinking about stretching for the next 12 weeks, I plan to keep the ends mosturized and see what happens.

But in the meantime, I need to hear from you!

I'm now big on trimming because I never used to and my split ends and raggedy bits forced me to take off more than i wanted to.
I'm going to try to trim every 8 weeks.

It depends on how you wear your hair. As a part of LHCF Bootcamp, I wore protective and low manipulation styles the entire year and only had to get my hair dusted twice. I had no trims this year.

Only if your ends are damaged or if you cannot stand to have uneven ends. Other than that, no, trimming is not necessary if you have healthy ends. Trimming has nothing to do with how your hair that grows from your scalp.

If you read Cathy Howse book and visit her website she says no. Trimming is only to make your hair look neat. I love Cathys long hair.

Monigirl- No homo LOL Has anyone ever told you that you look like a pretty baby doll? You are so pretty!:yep:

My hairdresser always insists on trimming my hair citing the usual, "your hair won't grow as fast" non-sense. I quit going as much because it seemed like whatever new growth I had was always getting cut off. I'm going to skip on all the trims and see what I kind of progress I have.

My hairdresser always insists on trimming my hair citing the usual, "your hair won't grow as fast" non-sense. I quit going as much because it seemed like whatever new growth I had was always getting cut off. I'm going to skip on all the trims and see what I kind of progress I have.

I would ask her to explain what the bottom of your hairs have to do with your scalp growing hair. Then ask her if your ends are damaged. If not, then put them sissors down.:grin:

my last trim/cut was in February... i don't plan to get another one until March 2008. my ends are fine and i plan to go 12 months in between each trim from now on. :yep:

Only if your ends are damaged or if you cannot stand to have uneven ends. Other than that, no, trimming is not necessary if you have healthy ends. Trimming has nothing to do with how your hair that grows from your scalp.

:yep::yep:...I agree with MtAiryHoney and also you mentioned you rollerset your hair...rollersets helps your ends stay smooth and healthy!

I believe if u ends are damaged, yes. I held on to slightly damaged ends and once I cut off quarter inch after not trimming for 6 months, my breakage slowed 90 percent.

Agreed. If your ends are fine, there is no need to trim them.

Monigirl- No homo LOL Has anyone ever told you that you look like a pretty baby doll? You are so pretty!:yep:

OT: MtAiryHoney, Thanks for the compliment.:blush3: Sorry, I misunderstood your comment at first. Yes, doll face is all over my fotki page comments. Honestly, I wish I looked like a baby doll/pretty without makeup. LOL! :lol: That is why I am interested in getting a skin peel next year.:grin: (sorry I took thread off topic for a minute):naughty:

Last edited:
Back