Are these Vatika coconut oils the same?

Lucia

I'm trying to find out if they are the same did they change the formulas or just change the bottle.

here's the original bottles
dabur_vatikacocooil_c.jpg

DABUR_VATIKA_ENRICHED_COCONUT_HAIR_OIL.jpg

ingredients:
Coconut oil (Cocos Nucifera Oil), Neem (Azadirachta Indica Leaf Extract), Brahmi (Centella Asiatica Plant Extract), Fruit Extracts of Amla, Bahera and Harar Extracts of Emblica officinalis, Terminalia belerica and Terminalia chebula, Kapur kachri (Hedychium spicatum rhizome extract), Henna (Lawsonia inermis leaf extract), Milk, Rosemary Oil (Rosmarinus officinalis oil), Lemon Oil (Citrus limonum oil), TBHQ (t-Butyl Hydroquinone), Fragrance.

the new bottle:

41vg2mXG67L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

some of the ingredients are different.
Triphala, Brahmi, Henna, Neem,
Lemon, Rosemary Oil, Kapurkachri,
Soya Extracts

I can't find a complete list of ingredients for this new green bottle just the list of herbs. NAyne use the new green bottle have a full list of ingredients to list here? TIA

Maybe they changed the bottle? First time i ever seen the "new" bottle i have the older one and i just got it like 2 months ago from my indian co-worker.

it's the same thing. My local indian store now carries the vatika oil in the new bottle as well.

ETA: I no longer have the bottle so I don't have the ingredients, but when I went i asked and they said it was the same. Maybe they changed up some of the ingredients:ohwell:

I remember that a very long time ago (in 1823 or something) somebody told me that some bottles, I think the ones in India, didn't have the TBHQ preservative. It would be nice to know: there are 2 versions but, by googling and looking online, I am not sure if it has anything to do with the packaging.

There is another list online with lecithin and without the preservative:

Mehndi (Lawsonia inemis) 0.10g, Amla (Emblica officinalis) 0.10g, Harar (Terminalia chebula) 0.10g, Bahera (Terminalia bellirica) 0.10g, Neem (Azadirachta indica) 0.30g, Brahmi (Centella asiatica) 0.30g, Kapur Kachri (Hedychium spicatum) 0.10g, Dugdha 0.0375ml, Lemon Oil (Citrus limon) 0.01ml, Rosemary Oil (Rosmarinus officinalis) 0.02ml, Lecithin (Soya lecithin) 0.25ml, Sugandhit Dravyas 0.17ml, Nariyal Tail (Cocos nucifera) Q.S. (Processed as per tail pak vidhi)

Last edited:
I remember that a very long time ago (in 1823 or something) somebody told me that some bottles, I think the ones in India, didn't have the TBHQ preservative. It would be nice to know: there are 2 versions but, by googling and looking online, I am not sure if it has anything to do with the packaging.

There is another list online with lecithin and without the preservative:

Mehndi (Lawsonia inemis) 0.10g, Amla (Emblica officinalis) 0.10g, Harar (Terminalia chebula) 0.10g, Bahera (Terminalia bellirica) 0.10g, Neem (Azadirachta indica) 0.30g, Brahmi (Centella asiatica) 0.30g, Kapur Kachri (Hedychium spicatum) 0.10g, Dugdha 0.0375ml, Lemon Oil (Citrus limon) 0.01ml, Rosemary Oil (Rosmarinus officinalis) 0.02ml, Lecithin (Soya lecithin) 0.25ml, Sugandhit Dravyas 0.17ml, Nariyal Tail (Cocos nucifera) Q.S. (Processed as per tail pak vidhi)

Thanks is there a online store attached tothat description.
Im ok wih the round top formula but would like to get the one without preservatives. I'll have to check my local Indian grocers and see what they have.

I know on ayurnatural she specifically notes that hers contains no mineral oil. I've used it before without problems, I've never seen those new bottles. O.o

Wow, I'd not noticed this. On ayurnaturalbeauty it's still showing the old bottle. Ever bought from them?

No but I like that thy tell you which ones are the mineral oil ones and ones without it. It bothers me when I get all enthused about a product with great ingredients only to buy it and find out it has mineral oil in it I'm like why even bother.

I have both bottles. They are still selling the old bottle too. Yes, the ingredients are totally different and everything about it is different. The old bottle was a light color oil and the new bottle oil is much darker. The old bottle to me smell like coconut lemon and I can't put my finger on what the new one smell like. They both get solid at room temperature.

I have both bottles. They are still selling the old bottle too. Yes, the ingredients are totally different and everything about it is different. The old bottle was a light color oil and the new bottle oil is much darker. The old bottle to me smell like coconut lemon and I can't put my finger on what the new one smell like. They both get solid at room temperature.

blueberry2118

Do you buy online or at the Indian store? if online can you post a link please?
Which one do you prefer? or is it too soon to tell.
So do you have the ingredient list to the new one?
we are talking about this new green bottle right?

http://www.dabur.com/Products-Personal Care-Vatika Hair Oil

Last edited:
Anyone else find that they have a adverse reaction to this oil (the old bottle)? I really love the smell, but my head starts to itch after a day or so—I'm not sure if it's whatever chemicals they use for the fragrance or what.:sad:

Anyone else find that they have a adverse reaction to this oil (the old bottle)? I really love the smell, but my head starts to itch after a day or so—I'm not sure if it's whatever chemicals they use for the fragrance or what.:sad:

I was told that when your hair itches that it is growing. Many of us who use growth aids start to experience the itches a day or so after using the product.

for me it's the same, triphala is Amla, Bahera and Harar so inci name is Emblica officinalis, Terminalia belerica and Terminalia chebula.
for the second as you don't have the whole list. sometimes you can not know. sometimes you only find the "key ingredients" but not the whole list. I think it's the same thing, and soya or not, or tbhq or not it won't change how the oils will act on hair and skin. because they are added at no more than 0.5%

Mystery solved!
I went to the local Indian grocer and asked about this oil and he had both :yay:
but he had a big size of the light green bottle different formula has milk extract and TBHQ but no mineral oil. There's only a slight difference in the formulations.

Thanks ladies for your help and lists.

DABUR_VATIKA_ENRICHED_COCONUT_HAIR_OIL.jpg

He also showed me another plain coconut oil without herbs and very clear colored, but the first or second ingredient was Paraffinum Liquidum = Mineral Oil --> :barf: I wasn't having any of that.

this is the mineral oil/coconut oil

vatika-volume-coconut-oil.jpg

So I bought the dark green bottle, he only had the small 150ml size and I asked about the big bottle, he said he would order the big sized green bottle for me, great. :yay:

I checked the ingredients lists it has this bottle does not contain mineral oil or TBHQ and seems to have 1 or 2 herbs that the round top doesn't have.

thanks to Curlykale are the ingredients:

Here's what these ingredients do for hair:
Mehndi - hair strengthener; dandruff reducer; hair colorant
Amla - a conditioner; controls hair loss, stimulates growth, and controls premature graying
Harar - anti-inflammatory; analgesic; purifier
Bahera - hair rejuvenator
Neem - clears dandruff; natural antiseptic; natural oil balance for scalp
Brahmi - cools the scalp; controls dandruff; makes hair long, dense, dark, and lustrous; strengthens hair roots
Kapur Kachri - stimulates hair roots and growth
Dugdha - prevents graying
Lemon oil - cleans scalp; natural antiseptic; natural oil balance for scalp; refreshens and rejuvenates the scalp
Rosemary oil - is good for treating hair fall or shedding and dandruff. It stimulates the hair bulbs to renew activity and prevent premature balding
Lecithin - protein
Sugandhit Dravyas - improves blood circulation to hair roots and follicles; eliminates dandruff; soothes flaky scalp
Nariyal Tail - coconut oil

Last edited:
I am so glad the ingredients are the same or almost. I went to my local indian store and bought four bottle of the orignal. I was scared the new ingredients would be different. lol

Thanks for the update Lucia! Really glad to know there is a better version, I will make sure I keep my eyes open for it!

Back