Are there any Nigerians or Igbos out here in the lhcf

brandy

Hello ladies,
I was wondering if there were any Nigerians or Igbos out here. Could you believe that shea butter is what Igbos call Ori?!! Has anyone tried the Ori?

I am also begining to wonder the effects of palm kernel oil (elu aki) on the hair since it is excellent for the skin?

I am going to ask some of my relatives to send me both of these products in large quantities including the black African soap!!.

My aunty and her daughters (cousins) use only natural products (including Ori and elu aki) on both their hair and skin and I swear their hair grows about 8 inches a year! They have very thick, soft shiny hair which they refuse to relax. I must admit that their diet also contributes b'cos they eat organic food.

Last edited:
I am nigerian, and I know that people use shea butter on their skin to make it silky smooth. Before LHCF, I had never heard of people putting palm oil in their hair, but I am sure that it would work well. My mom only uses it for food.

Hi, I'm Nigerian and Igbo as well. I definitely think the african soap is good for the skin and I use it alot (Dudu Osun). As for the shea butter, I'm sure it's excellent for the skin and hair but I'm yet to try it out. Natural products are probably much more beneficial for the hair and body so it makes alot of sense for us to use them more.

brandy said:
Hello ladies,
I was wondering if there were any Nigerians or Igbos out here. Could you believe that shea butter is what Igbos call Ori?!! Has anyone tried the Ori?

I am also begining to wonder the effects of palm kernel oil (elu aki) on the hair since it is excellent for the skin?

I am going to ask some of my relatives to send me both of these products in large quantities including the black African soap!!.

My aunty and her daughters (cousins) use only natural products (including Ori and elu aki) on both their hair and skin and I swear their hair grows about 8 inches a year! They have very thick, soft shiny hair which they refuse to relax. I must admit that their diet also contributes b'cos they eat organic food.

Yeah shea butter is Ori, its only know that I realize the benefits of it, my dad swore by it growing up, I didnt like the smell then, love the benefits of it know that I know better.
elu aki, palm kernel oil isnt palm oil maryj, it has a nutty smell to it, my mom says my jamaican blk castor oil reminds her of it, her grandmother used to use it.
Its from the palm kernel, red palm oil is from the palm nut fruit, the orange/reddish part.
Most of the older ladies are the ones who I've seen with thick long natural hair, unfortunately the younger generation in attempt to create their own identity has become so weavelicious that the hair suffers.

Naijaqueen said:
Yeah shea butter is Ori, its only know that I realize the benefits of it, my dad swore by it growing up, I didnt like the smell then, love the benefits of it know that I know better.
elu aki, palm kernel oil isnt palm oil maryj, it has a nutty smell to it, my mom says my jamaican blk castor oil reminds her of it, her grandmother used to use it.
Its from the palm kernel, red palm oil is from the palm nut fruit, the orange/reddish part.
Most of the older ladies are the ones who I've seen with thick long natural hair, unfortunately the younger generation in attempt to create their own identity has become so weavelicious that the hair suffers.

Thanks for clearing this up. I thought you guys were talking about palm oil that you cook with (the red kind). I'm Nigerian but not Igbo. I've used shea butter on my skin but not my hair. I know of people who do use it on their hair and like it. There was a poster here a while ago who said that she was going to try using palm oil (the same one you cook with) as a hot oil treatment. I don't know if she ever posted her results though. Also, I read on the haitian hair secrets thread that huille masketi (please excuse the spelling) is the same as palm oil. Not sure if it's palm nut oil or palm kernal oil. If anyone knows please clarify, thanks.

Chanteuse said:
Thanks for clearing this up. I thought you guys were talking about palm oil that you cook with (the red kind). I'm Nigerian but not Igbo. I've used shea butter on my skin but not my hair. I know of people who do use it on their hair and like it. There was a poster here a while ago who said that she was going to try using palm oil (the same one you cook with) as a hot oil treatment. I don't know if she ever posted her results though. Also, I read on the haitian hair secrets thread that huille masketi (please excuse the spelling) is the same as palm oil. Not sure if it's palm nut oil or palm kernal oil. If anyone knows please clarify, thanks.

I think its palm kernel, i should be getting mine this week, I'll let u know.
I cant imagin puttin the red palm oil on my hair :p

I am Nigerian not Igbo but Yoruba. Yes, Ori is the same thing they called Shea butter here and dudu osun, black soap. It is soo funny because i always hated Ori because of it's smelling when I was growing up. I also hated black soap because i thought it was weird. Now, I love them both and always want my aunts and uncles to bring them back from Nigeria. I haven't heard of the oil that was mentioned though.

maryj1584 said:
I am nigerian, and I know that people use shea butter on their skin to make it silky smooth. Before LHCF, I had never heard of people putting palm oil in their hair, but I am sure that it would work well. My mom only uses it for food.

Hi maryj1584,
No not palm oil! Palm oil is red and is used for cooking. I meant palm kernel oil, the oil from the nuts of palm trees.

MoonstoneBlu said:
Hi, I'm Nigerian and Igbo as well. I definitely think the african soap is good for the skin and I use it alot (Dudu Osun). As for the shea butter, I'm sure it's excellent for the skin and hair but I'm yet to try it out. Natural products are probably much more beneficial for the hair and body so it makes alot of sense for us to use them more.

Hi MoonstoneBlu,
Where do you get the black soap from?

Naijaqueen said:

Hi Naijaqueen,
Yes you are right! The older ladies are the ones with thick long natural hair and use all these natural products.

Naijaqueen said:
I think its palm kernel, i should be getting mine this week, I'll let u know.
I cant imagin puttin the red palm oil on my hair :p

Where would you get your elu aki (palm kernel oil) from?

beautiful beginnings said:
I am Nigerian not Igbo but Yoruba. Yes, Ori is the same thing they called Shea butter here and dudu osun, black soap. It is soo funny because i always hated Ori because of it's smelling when I was growing up. I also hated black soap because i thought it was weird. Now, I love them both and always want my aunts and uncles to bring them back from Nigeria. I haven't heard of the oil that was mentioned though.

Hi beautiful beginnings,
Palm kernel oil (elu aki as Igbos call it) is oil from the nuts of the oil palm tree and is dark brown in colour. It is an excellent moisuriser.

brandy said:
Where would you get your elu aki (palm kernel oil) from?

I believe that its the same thing as l'huile mascreti, I ordered it from a Haitian shop in NY. I want to gt it first b4 making recommendations, i hopefully should get it by end of the week i think, once i do, i'll let yall know. You're in London so u should ask some West Indians there maybe?

They sell Black soap all over, i had many I bought over the summer, or u can find it at any African store in any major city or online. I use Dudu Osun too.
With as many Nigerians as there are in London, you should be able to get it anywhere :D

Naijaqueen said:
I believe that its the same thing as l'huile mascreti, I ordered it from a Haitian shop in NY. I want to gt it first b4 making recommendations, i hopefully should get it by end of the week i think, once i do, i'll let yall know. You're in London so u should ask some West Indians there maybe?

They sell Black soap all over, i had many I bought over the summer, or u can find it at any African store in any major city or online. I use Dudu Osun too.
With as many Nigerians as there are in London, you should be able to get it anywhere :D

Thank you for replying. I may be travelling to Nigeria next year and I intend to bring these stuff with me in huge quantities

the oil that comes from banga- as in the nut??? sorry for the confusion.

brandy said:
Hi maryj1584,
No not palm oil! Palm oil is red and is used for cooking. I meant palm kernel oil, the oil from the nuts of palm trees.

Hi, my grandmother's Igbo.

I've never actually heard of Black soap.
I used to use natural, unrefined Shea butter on my hair- although it does really seal the hair strands, its also a bit too heavy for me. I used to use it on my skin aswell-it's a great natural skin smoother and it evens the tone, but since my skin seems to be quite oily sometimes, I had to avoid using any greasy moisturisers -i.e Shea Butter.

My regimen is quite simple really.
I just stay in a weave every two months, during this time I moisturise, wash, use WGO on my scalp.
I try not to wash too much because the water in my area here in London is not to nice :perplexed
This regimen (and prayer of course!!) has really helped me to gain length.
My mum used to say that the organic Hemp in Nigeria helps grow long hair...Anyone else head that?

brandy said:
Hi MoonstoneBlu,
Where do you get the black soap from?

Hi brandy,

to answer your question more specifically I get the black soap either from Pak cosmetics in Finsbury Park or there's a small food/cosmetics shop (asian owned) about two doors away from Pak that sells it also. The shop sells all sorts of Nigerian food and the cosmetics are situated on the shelf to the left hand side of the till.

Summa Bliss said:
Hi, my grandmother's Igbo.

I've never actually heard of Black soap.
I used to use natural, unrefined Shea butter on my hair- although it does really seal the hair strands, its also a bit too heavy for me. I used to use it on my skin aswell-it's a great natural skin smoother and it evens the tone, but since my skin seems to be quite oily sometimes, I had to avoid using any greasy moisturisers -i.e Shea Butter.

My regimen is quite simple really.
I just stay in a weave every two months, during this time I moisturise, wash, use WGO on my scalp.
I try not to wash too much because the water in my area here in London is not to nice :perplexed
This regimen (and prayer of course!!) has really helped me to gain length.
My mum used to say that the organic Hemp in Nigeria helps grow long hair...Anyone else head that?

Hi Summa Bliss,

I've not heard of the organic Hemp. Could you please get the local name i.e the name of the organic Hemp in Igbo.

MoonstoneBlu said:
Hi brandy,

to answer your question more specifically I get the black soap either from Pak cosmetics in Finsbury Park or there's a small food/cosmetics shop (asian owned) about two doors away from Pak that sells it also. The shop sells all sorts of Nigerian food and the cosmetics are situated on the shelf to the left hand side of the till.

Thanks alot for replying. I'll be visiting Finsbury park soon.

Well I know that a cheap way to get this palm nut oil would be from the cans that they have here to cook the sauce with I know 2 that are sold here in charlotte, TOFAI and Ghana's best, they both have the oil and puree of the sauce. They are about 3-4 dollars for a can. I think I am going to make my own hair mask with this stuff this weekend. I found a recepie online from
http://www.nappturality.com/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=119

the recepie sounds interesting and I have some Ghana's best palm nut oil sauce at home so I am going to try the honey and palm treatment next weekend :)

Back