Are there any naturals on a no oil or minimal oil routine?

sparkle25

Hello

Having troubles finding things for my hair with no oil or minimal oil. My hair hates oils and protein too. Every product for curly heads seems to have both. I dont really care about styling products because i want to get my hair to thrive before i start styling it. Im new at this whole healthy hair thing, but i have only had about 3 perms in my 26 years, so no damage from chemicals but i think my hair is semi damaged from being neglected. I just didnt know how to care for it. Now i am doing things the right way and my hair is much better than before and doesnt break hardly at all, but its dry & its not thriving because it doesnt like oils. Is anyone else on a no oil, minimal oil routine? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I asked a similar question yesterday, but i didnt get very many response. TIA

I saw your thread from yesterday. I wish I could help, but my hair loves both oils and protein so I'm no good to you. msa mentioned that maybe you're undermoisturized, what are you currently using? You may need to get creative and make your own products, maybe using honey, glycerin, things like that. Everything I was going to mention is protein based!!!! Arggh! Hopefully some pros will chime in, but what is your current routine? Oh, and coconut oil can make hair hard. If the temps not high enough, my hair gets hard because the oil solidifies. It's a definite :nono: for me in the winter.

I mostly use aloe juice, glycerine and castor oil on my hair. I like castor because it's a humectant. I do use conditioners that contain oil, though. Basically, the majority of my moisture regiment comes from water based products, because oil just kinda sits on my hair- even when I apply on wet hair. I also sometimes use smooth-n- shine curl activator gel. It is oil free, full of humectants, and is a styler as well as a moisturizer. It does have wheat protein, and panthenol. Good Luck!

My hair doesn't really like oils either. But I recently found that it doesn't mind jasmine oil; it's very light, and doesn't cause tangles. You might want to give that a try.

i basically follow a modified low-oil regime -- usually in cream form. i say modified because although i know which oils & butters work best for my hair -- castor, shea, olive, red palm, avocado, coconut, i usually have to mix them with something. blended in with a water/humectant/conditioner, botanical product. otherwise they just sit on my hair.

here's my basic routine from my hair journal:

"wet. moisturise. seal.

wet comes from weekly no-pooing. it has saved my dry hair. some good cheapie no-poos are trader joe's nourish spa, aussie moist, suave humectress, awapuhi, or biobasics, or tresemme vit. e.

to no-poo or conditioner wash: put your hair in 4 braids or sections with clips. in the shower apply conditioner to each loose braid or unclip, apply conditioner, clip. do this for the remaining sections. let it sit/penetrate for a bit. then gently squeeze your braids or unclip a section, detangle with a wide tooth comb, clip. do this for each section. now rinse each braid or section, gently squeeze excess moisture & clip. your hair is ready for the next step. (i don't use poo any more so i'm not the best source for recommendations, but many people have raved about creme of nature detangling, conditioning shampoo. just make sure the poo doesn't have sodium lauryl/laureth sulfates -- sls. if you use aubrey organics -- great products by the way -- their poo doesn't lather. a little goes a long way. don't be tempted to use more to get that "traditional lather" like i did, you'll just end up stripping your hair )

moisturize comes from a spray. i spray my hair daily. i've learned to make my own for maximum results:

my moisture mix recipe:

get a 16 oz spray bottle, fill 1/4 (of the bottle) with wave nouveau finishing lotion, 1/8 veg. glycerin, 1/8 aloe vera juice or gel, 1/2 or rest of bottle with distilled water. shake & go. you can play with the amounts of ingredients if this mix doesn't work for you. drop in some essential oils, castor or jojoba, flax seed gel or fragrance.

store bought moisture spray recommendations:

african pride braid sheen spray, care free gold, wave nouveau finishing lotion or mist

seal comes from a leave-in. not that it has to say "leave-in" on the bottle i just leave it in, lol . for me this is usually a slippy botanical conditioner. some good cheapies are aussie moist, trader joe's nourish spa, or garnier fructis curl & shine. (aubrey organics rose mosqueta, honeysuckle rose or white camellia - these aren't cheapies, but you know how good they are)

with layering products you'll probably want to clarify when needed, so buy a good clarifying conditioner, or you can add some baking soda to conditioner."

i found these links as well:

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t78943.html
http://nappyme.wordpress.com/hair-facts/ditch-the-hair-grease/

i will add though as my hair's gotten longer it seems to be responding better to naked oils, especially when i wear it straight, only time will tell if it's a fluke or a trend, but either way i'm prepared to tweak my regime as needed:) hth

For styling, I do a similar routine like Tkj...I

- Spray with Dove Moisturizing Mist/ or now Mane n' Tail Detangler Spray

- Moisturize with Qhemet Burdock Root Buttercream (fantastic stuff)

- Seal with Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar Pomade (a solid type of oil, actually creamy and smooth to the touch. You only need a small dab of this and spread it on....awesome product and smells good too!)

I'm sure you will find there are products that will help you achieve the look you want without a whole bunch of oils!

All the best!

I don't use too many oils (after the washing process) because my hair just.... feels too oily :grin:. Instead of sealing with an oil have you tried sealing with a butter instead? (i.e shea butter, avocado butter, etc etc)

I don't use too many oils (after the washing process) because my hair just.... feels too oily :grin:. Instead of sealing with an oil have you tried sealing with a butter instead? (i.e shea butter, avocado butter, etc etc)

No because those are oils too. They are just solid at room temperature.

I found a lot of information on Nappturality, so ill be trying some new things like aloe gel to seal instead of oils etc. But does anyone know if aloe gel is protein?

Back