Are the edges of your hairline "long"?

The hair at the edges of my hairline are:

• bald (naturally - just don't grow)

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • bald (because of damage/alopecia/etc.)

Votes: 26 6.1%
  • 1 inch or less

Votes: 98 22.8%
  • between 1-3 inches

Votes: 196 45.7%
  • more than 3 inches

Votes: 90 21.0%
  • I can pull the hair at my hairline into a ponytail.

Votes: 53 12.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mine are btwn 1-4 in long, I think they shed more often then the rest of the hair like eyelashes and brows , they grow a certain length and then shed. Now my nap area is the same length as my hair so IDK.

ETA: I never have a problem with my edges laying down in a ponytail, they are long enough to stay tamed.

Last edited:
Try braiding that area either 1/2 way around on both side braids meeting in the center nape or just down on the sides. That always helped my cousin when she was little I would always put a cornroll down her side or so to keep her edges from curling up/out of the ponytail.
my dd has edges that are short too and she is natural and never has been relaxed. . i too brush her hair up into ponytails daily. don't know what else to do. I was looking at her head today. she too has the halo thing going on southernbella.

The bold is what I consider edges/"baby hair" are we talking further into the hairline? If so I don't have an issue pass the "baby hair" area, LOL, cause I don't have baby hair it's definately 4b grown folks texture :lachen:
Other than my natural "baby hurr" haha, my edges are as long as the rest of my hair. When I was texlaxed and relaxed, my edges weren't quite as long as the rest of my hair, but it wasn't short.

My edges hit the bottom of my chin to a little above my collarbone depending on where I pull. The shortest areas are in the front though..they reach to my upper lip

My edges are the same length as my hair, but my edges on the right side are frizzy and do not have curl definition, its only in a patch. I chalk it up to heat damage....hopefully.

my edges will always be short around my forehead. They have always been, relaxed or natural and I didn't relax my hairline or pull it back in ponytails very often. It laughs at gel so that's pointless. I'm ok with them being shorter. The longest I remember them being is about 3 inches.

I have such a weird issue but similar. My edges in some parts of my hairline are long but right wear the ears are and at the side temples almost like a circular pattern they are very very short.

Now I think I know what the issue is with my sides, I wear sun glasses all the time here in SoCal and I know that can cause breakage if you are putting them on and pulling them off all the time which I do. But I am at a loss with these dag nabit temples.

I feel like one step forward and two backwards. The left now is much thicker and longer than the right side although it is still short. I cannot figure out why it is just is even slower to grow on the right. I sleep on my left side so I can't even give that as a reason.

Even when I do flat twists I am extra careful with that area because I know how sensitve it is. I must admit this is the most frustrating issue I am having right now.

mine are short, too. i've given up on trying to get them longer. oh well.

I have such a weird issue but similar. My edges in some parts of my hairline are long but right wear the ears are and at the side temples almost like a circular pattern they are very very short.

I think I have a similar pattern. I think this is a very common and normal pattern. I was sitting in a class once and looking at people's hairlines, many of them male, many of them non-black who wore their hair down all the time, and I saw this hairline a lot.

Since I was a little kid I've had the crown of hair sticking up. No matter what I try to do it doesn't seem like my hairline or nape will ever grow. So like figured it was normal and I'd just slick back my edges.

is there anyone out there whose edges are long enough to brush into a ponytail or at least longer than a couple months of new growth?

I've been relaxed, natural and everywhere in between and no matter what my edges never seem to grow past 3/4 inch.

edges.jpg

I thought that excessive brushing or my satin scarf rubbing along the hair line was the culprit, so I stopped brushing and quit flattening with a scarf (which seriously affects my 'that girl' challenge) but now after looking at 3 years worth of pics I'm thinking that this is just what my edges do.

I'm not interested in growth aids, but rather if there are other people who experience this. The rest of my hair is in that un-nameable stage between APL and BSL so I know my hair is capable of growing.

You just have exremely curly babyhairs in a large section. I think that the only people I've seen with very long edges are those with very straight hair.

Well, I have a visible hairline and it's thick but it's about 2-4 inches. It doesn't affect the way my hair looks or how I can style it in a negative way. I thought it tended to only be those with type 4 hair that didn't have a "long" hairline. However, when I looked more closely at the hair of other races and other hair types etc, I saw mainly the same thing. Not many people do have a hairline that's long or near the same length as the rest of their hair.

My edges are the finest part of my hair. I agree with Ticktock, my edges (front) have filled in some since I stop relaxaing my hair, but I have noticed that my hairline from temple to temple will not grown past my nose; it may be breakage. I have a Lo man regi, and protect my edges at all cost for 2 years. The rest of my edges have grown in nicely and are pretty much the same length as the rest of my hair. I'm ok with them not getting any longer, or filling in anymore then they already have, because I have observed shorter edges or baby hair on other hair types as well.

i have fine baby hairs as my edges i never relax my front cause there is no point. I've noticed my white friends to have shorter edges or just being different from the rest f the hair

Interesting thread. My edges are the same length as the rest of my hair for the most part. I don't really have any baby hairs or spots that curl up along the front or anything. It just grows out with the rest of my hair.

My hairline was thinner than the rest of my hair when I was relaxed. It broke easily, and didn't grow to be more than a few inches unless I had it in braids or twists. Since bcing, my hairline is now the same length as the rest of my hair, just over 6 inches. I think it was thinning/breaking because of the perm and stress on the area (ponytails, constantly combing hair back, tying hair down at night). My hairline hasn't looked like this since I was a kid.

my hairline is about 1-3 inches, it has grown a lot since i've been wearing my hair natural but i think it stays at this length because i almost always have my hair pulled back.

Interesting thread. My edges are the same length as the rest of my hair for the most part. I don't really have any baby hairs or spots that curl up along the front or anything. It just grows out with the rest of my hair.

Daaaang Kinker - your hair's so pretty (it's gorgeous curly too don't get me wrong). It's growing so much!! :lick:

Gotta cosign with this except I've got what some would call "baby hair" in the front. It's a different texture and it's not alot and can be manipulated to blend in.

is there anyone out there whose edges are long enough to brush into a ponytail or at least longer than a couple months of new growth?

I've been relaxed, natural and everywhere in between and no matter what my edges never seem to grow past 3/4 inch.

edges.jpg

I thought that excessive brushing or my satin scarf rubbing along the hair line was the culprit, so I stopped brushing and quit flattening with a scarf (which seriously affects my 'that girl' challenge) but now after looking at 3 years worth of pics I'm thinking that this is just what my edges do.

I'm not interested in growth aids, but rather if there are other people who experience this. The rest of my hair is in that un-nameable stage between APL and BSL so I know my hair is capable of growing.
It interesting how I'm just noticing this post. My edges (what my mom calls 'baby hair') has always been somewhat short (about 1/4 inch along my hair line), but I've noticed lately how it's much longer.

It has to be the Ovation and the Indian Hair Oils that I use on my hair and hairline, because that's the only thing that I've done differently. For a while I just thought it was a part of my bangs, but it's definitely my 'baby hair' that's grown longer.

Last edited:
Mine is finally growing out! When i just started my journey in November, some places at the front were just about an inch or a little more, the left side is now 6 inches and the right side is 4 inches.

My edges were always short in the past, but they are growing now. I even have them where I did not have them before (as in my hairline is thickening up). I think it is the DCing, Amla Oil, and other things I learned about on this board.
-

Mine have never been longer than 1-2 inches, no matter what I do. It doesn't really bother me though. As some have already said - they probably aren't meant to be long.

I have shorter hairs on my edges, but they're baby hairs. The hair behind that is much longer and coarser. I know a girl who has alopecia and it's really bad on her rightside: from the back of her ear to the front of her face she has a 2x2 bald spot. Her hairdresser told herto stop wearing tight buns, but she's still rocking them and the alopecia has gotten worse.

My face is framed by those baby hairs, then they get longer and blend into my actual hair. I don't worry unless my temples thin too much, which happens on occasion.

My hairline in front and my temples are non-existent thanks to 10+ years of braids and weaves.

I'm pretty sure washing my face with Proactiv system doesn't help either, no matter how diligent I am about pulling my hair out of my face.

Back