Are salons sensitive to transitioning-type hair?

• Thread starter Thread starter JenniferMD
  • Start date Start date
J

JenniferMD

I'm taking out my braids next month and I want to wait a month before getting a relaxer (thanks to you guys I'm going to be using Affirm Lye for the first time). However, I'm going to have 10 months of newgrowth. I want to go to a Dominican salon and try a blow-out until I get my relaxer, but will they be sensitive with my two textures?

I believe that the Dominican salon will....my FMIL goes to Luisa's now and she hasn't had a touch-up in a while and she was saying she "needed" one and the women at Luisa's were telling her that she didn't need one, at all ever. They can get her hair like a fresh touch-up with the blow-out.

I personally wouldn't consider this course of action if I had 10 months' worth of (tightly coiled 4a) new growth.

The one time I tried to postpone my touchup by a Dominican blow out, the stylist used entirely too much heat on my new growth and ripped hair out. It felt like a blowtorch was being used on my scalp.

My regular stylist Todd admits that he wouldn't/couldn't get my hair as straight when there's a lot of new growth, primarily because he refuses to use a super high heat setting during blow outs.

Unless your curl pattern is really loose, you should probably style your hair on your own until the touch up. Don't trust it to somebody new.

I would say: if you are going to a *real* dominican salon, a dominican salon where there are lots of other salons to compete well with your salon - yes. They have a lot of experience with natural ladies.

If you are going to a black salon or a dominican salon where you don't feel they are on top of their game, then I would say no. Only if you are really, really lucky.

Hi JenniferMD

I do not have any info re Dominican salons as we do not have them in the UK. Of course we have black salons but not specifically Dominican - maybe I'm wrong though? but I just wanted to interrupt this thread to say that I am amazed by your progress
shocked.gif
in such I short space of time. Ok I'll go now
Bye

Thanks for the information. I think I'm going to take Ms_Kenesha's and Chimma's advice and go to a Dominican salon for a blow out. I've been looking at the salon reviews and Lucia's sounds nice. I'm going to make sure I make an appointment so I can have Lucia do my hair (I'm going go during the week so I can have her full attention, and not compete with the crowd). I'm also going to have to tell her not to clip my ends (even though they probably *nah definitely* need them). I've decided to take the braids out the first weekend in April, that will put me at 3 months for the braids and I'll get a professional affrim lye relaxer the first week of May.

Ms_Keneshaa, I thought about going completely natural since I'm almost at the 1-year mark, but I don't think I could handle it, and I wouldn't be doing it for any real reason. By going natural I'd probably do more harm than good for my hair because I'd want it straight so much that I'd be using excessive heat.

[ QUOTE ]
pradalover said:
Hi JenniferMD

I do not have any info re Dominican salons as we do not have them in the UK. Of course we have black salons but not specifically Dominican - maybe I'm wrong though? but I just wanted to interrupt this thread to say that I am amazed by your progress
shocked.gif
in such I short space of time. Ok I'll go now
Bye

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Pradalover
grin.gif

It's been a rough 8 months....believe me. And as the time gets closer for me to take out the braids I'm having nightmares that I won't see any progress
angry2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
JenniferMD said:
Ms_Keneshaa, I thought about going completely natural since I'm almost at the 1-year mark, but I don't think I could handle it, and I wouldn't be doing it for any real reason. By going natural I'd probably do more harm than good for my hair because I'd want it straight so much that I'd be using excessive heat.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good decision. I knew a girl in college who pressed her hair everyday and it just made her hair really thin
frown.gif

Back