Are ponytails protective styles?

MuziqizLyfe

I have a question for you hair gurus:

I don't think I can keep wearing my hair down everyday and keep making progress. For the past week I've been wearing ponytails but changing the placement, bangs/no bangs, flexirodding the tail, banana clips etc for variety. I really like the look, it's quick, cute, lo-mani etc.

I see all the bun challenges and it seems many (babygurl for example) have had great growth retention with bunning but I just hate buns :nono:

So I was wondering if you ladies think ponytails are a good alternative? I'm making sure to moisturize twice a day, take it out while sleeping and cover with silk wrap but was worried about breakage over time. Seems like a bun would do the same as a pony as far a breakage...so if bunning works, ponytailing should too right??

Ponytails work out good for me but I don't think they are considered a protective style because the ends are exposed. If you tucked the ends under then that would be a protective style.

I would consider it semi-protective as long as its high enough so its not brushing your clothes and you put extra stuff on the ends so they dont dry out.

In Rapunzel's (aka Pokahontas) case, it would definitely not be protective bc her hurr is so long even if she put her ponytail up to her forehead it would still be down her back :lachen:. Im mesmerized....:spinning:

but then why is it that people, stylists included, ask when you have breakage in that area...do you wear ponytails alot? because the weak point or the breaking point is where the ponytail holder is. so my question is, is this really a protective style? what can one do to protect that area??

but then why is it that people, stylists included, ask when you have breakage in that area...do you wear ponytails alot? because the weak point or the breaking point is where the ponytail holder is. so my question is, is this really a protective style? what can one do to protect that area??

You can use an elastic soaked in EVOO or any other oil, and make sure the elastic doesn't have a metal attachment and isn't tied extremely tight.

I think stylist ask that is because if you wear it in the same spot it may cause the hair to become weak, I guess. I personally don't see anything wrong except protecting your ends and using the no tangle elastics.

I would consider it semi-protective as long as its high enough so its not brushing your clothes and you put extra stuff on the ends so they dont dry out.

In Rapunzel's (aka Pokahontas) case, it would definitely not be protective bc her hurr is so long even if she put her ponytail up to her forehead it would still be down her back :lachen:. Im mesmerized....:spinning:

:lachen::lachen:

I think a lot of ppl use unhairfriendly elastics and they also probably make them too tight. I think its good to make them a little higher or lower and not wear them in the same spot. Also I prefer using hair clips (claw clamps, banana clips, or hairpins...or if I do use an elastic its ouchless or a cut up piece of pantyhose saturated in oil or sprayed with oil sheen).

Ponytails work out good for me but I don't think they are considered a protective style because the ends are exposed. If you tucked the ends under then that would be a protective style.

LOVE your pony poka, just beautiful:drunk: I do try to moisturize my ends really well but I do see how they aren't being protected in a pony:ohwell: Okay so it isn't a protective style, but maybe it could be considered lo-mani since I only use my fingers and soft brush on my edges.

I think a lot of ppl use unhairfriendly elastics and they also probably make them too tight. I think its good to make them a little higher or lower and not wear them in the same spot. Also I prefer using hair clips (claw clamps, banana clips, or hairpins...or if I do use an elastic its ouchless or a cut up piece of pantyhose saturated in oil or sprayed with oil sheen).

I use hair friendly elastics and I do have some banana clips. I think I will add claw clamps and hair pins too. Thanks!

I have always wanted to ask ponytailers and bunners-- does anyone get breakage in the front and along the edges from having the hair back all the time? I've had stylists tell me not to wear the hair back like that a lot.

I believe they can be...it just depends on how you wear them. I wear a lot of ponytails and have never had a problem with breakage in the areas where the pony tail holder holds it.

LOVE your pony poka, just beautiful:drunk: I do try to moisturize my ends really well but I do see how they aren't being protected in a pony:ohwell: Okay so it isn't a protective style, but maybe it could be considered lo-mani since I only use my fingers and soft brush on my edges.

Thank you!

I would consider them low-mani. :yep:

I wear ponytails all the time...and my hair is still growing just fine with no breakage at all. I just make sure the clips I wear are not tight...I also make sure I bring the hair up high enough so my ends are not on my clothes. I moisturize my ends and at night I wear a satin bonnet.

I know some don't consider a ponytail a protective style because the ends are exposed....but like I said just make sure the ends are moisturized and that your ponytail is not tugging on your clothes; just bring your ponytail up some. :yep:...hope I helped!

I wear ponytails all the time...and my hair is still growing just fine with no breakage at all. I just make sure the clips I wear are not tight...I also make sure I bring the hair up high enough so my ends are not on my clothes. I moisturize my ends and at night I wear a satin bonnet.

I know some don't consider a ponytail a protective style because the ends are exposed....but like I said just make sure the ends are moisturized and that your ponytail is not tugging on your clothes; just bring your ponytail up some. :yep:...hope I helped!

I totally agree :yep:....I think your ends rubbing on your clothes/friction is what does the damage....I dont think the ends being exposed to the air hurts much if they are moisturized.

Back