Are Other Ladies' Buns Catching Your Attention?

Isis

Are Other Ladies\' Buns Catching Your Attention?

I seem to notice other women's protective styles more than ever before, I think because I'm on the bun challenge. I never paid any attention in the past. Now I see buns and twists and braids everywhere! Sometimes I find myself looking closely at their hair, especially if the style looks cute, so I can try it myself. I'm wondering if any of you are noticing this too or is it just me.
look.gif

Re: Are Other Ladies\' Buns Catching Your Attention

I'm noticing everyone's hair more in general. When someone has it up I look to see what kind of clip/pins they're using, I guess about how long their hair is, and can I get mine like that
laugh.gif

I've also been looking at people's heads trying to decide if I want THAT to be my hair length goal, or maybe a little shorter or a little longer, like trying to picture it on me. I swear I'm forever looking at everybody's hair
laugh.gif

I guess I'm noticing hair more in general also, but the protective styles really get my attention. When I was at Sally's recently, I saw 5 black ladies and at a glance I noticed all of them had hair that was very dry and damaged-looking. But the one I really took notice to and kind of stared at was a black man at Sally's wearing cornrows with all of the braids going up into a braided "bun" at the top of his head! His hair looked pretty good and well moisturized and I wondered how his style might look on me...
scratchchin.gif

I'm also noticing more ladies wearing buns and updos than ever before and trying to figure out how to duplicate those styles.

hm, In my city, I am seeing more buns, Well actually I am seeing a lot of the Foam ratts that they use. It seems that the majority of the ladies out here who wear buns are not using their real hair (it is not covering the foam completely) and use gel, spritz, & other evil things to slick it all down. This is definitely not "Protective"
nono.gif

Yeah I see that too. I don't see it much because I work in an environment with men, but the other black woman who works there has shoulderlength hair that looks pretty decent. I haven't, wait yes I have seen the women with no edges slicking back the hair they have in phony pony's (I have one on right now it's going to be my protective style).

how do you do a bun (the donut kind) without using a foam thingie? I have enough hair I think but I dont have a clue so I use the foam thingie. help!

Godzooki-
I saw in my new hairstyling book how after the hair is put into a ponytail, it is fanned out in all directions, then you curve the ends of a section of hair onto your head, pinning underneath with a Good Hair Day pin (or bobby pin). The you do another section , then another all the way around until you have a pretty donut bun. One style was overlapping, like criss-crossing some of the sections to create a more elegant, unique looking bun. I'm going to try that one, probably tomorrow.

I hope this helps Godzooki! I remember this past summer on another board when you correctly recommended I wear my hair in a bun (because of humidity). I thought,
huh.gif
a bun? Me wear a bun?
confused.gif
Now I'm on a bun challenge - go figure!
laugh.gif

Hairlove -

It's called "5-Minute Fun Finishes: 18 Easy Up-Dos & Make-Up Step-by-Steps". Its a 64-page book with great color pictures that I got from Sally's on sale for $1.25. Some if not most of the styles would look beautiful on you with your length!
smile.gif

By the way, the bun I described from the book looks so easy to do and the ponytail was a low ponytail with a long tendril left hanging down.

I'd have to say that I definitely notice buns more often. I saw this girl wearing a beautiful slicked back bun. I came kind of to the side, she had a flower pinned on it. She looked great. Definitely an idea once I'm finished with braids and start the bun challenge.

I too have considered pinning a flower on my bun when I wear it off to the side. Right now, I'm experimenting with silk ribbons. I love this style!

Back