Are Most Churches Spiritually Dead ..

Iwanthealthyhair67

Has America's Form of Christianity Left the Church in 'Spiritually Dead' Condition?

http://www.christianpost.com/news/h...-spiritually-dead-condition-116055/email.html

By Jessica Martinez, CP Reporter

March 13, 2014|8:15 am
A California pastor says he is concerned about the state of the church and believes that Christianity in America has shifted away from the Gospel and instead of being the light of the world, Christians are beginning to look just like the world.

Shane Idleman, founder and lead pastor of Westside Christian Fellowship in Lancaster, Calif., wrote a blog post directed towards church leaders who he says have exchanged the truth for tolerance. He urges them and the rest of the Christian community to reflect on whether they are affecting the world or being infected by it.

"The present condition of the church and America leaves one to wonder if this lack of fearing the Lord is contributing to her spiritually dead condition. A healthy respect of God is what our culture, and the church desperately need," Idleman told The Christian Post.

He decided to write the post because he says American church leaders are more concerned about keeping an audience instead of preaching the truth from their pulpits.

"Although many applaud boldness, if the truth be told, life would be much easier if I took another vocation and avoided controversy. But I cannot. God radically changed my life by the power of His Spirit through His truth. His Word is like a fire in my bones, I cannot hold it back," he said.

Idleman bluntly explains that many pastors have taken on the role of CEOs and have not understood that they are called to lead a people to Christ. He also notes that the "pulpit regulates the spiritual condition of God's people," and a "lukewarm, sex-saturated culture and church simply reflects the lack of conviction in the pulpit."

However, the lack of conviction also depends on the prayer life of the preacher, he explains. Prayer is the first sign of a spiritually healthy church and leader.

Oftentimes, pastors focus too much on marketing plans, demographic studies, or giving campaigns, he said. Idleman says leaders need to focus on being spirit filled.

"Sermons shouldn't come from pop-psychology and the latest fad, they must come from the prayer closet where God prepares the messenger before we prepare the message. It takes broken men to break men," said Idleman.
In order to reverse the trend, the California pastor urges leaders to draw away from mass appeal and remain true to biblical foundations, despite the temptation to be lured into mainstream culture. He also calls on churches not to appeal to the masses through selective preaching of the Word that does not call out destructive lifestyles, but instead begin a revival that will trigger individuals to change.

"If we continue down this slippery slope, there is little hope. Apart from a national spiritual awakening, it will be difficult to turn the Titanic around. The vessel has been struck, what's inside is spilling out," said Idleman.
"But if God brings revival … if we once again set our hearts and minds on Him … there is tremendous hope. There will not be an end until Christ returns but we are not called to hide in the corner, we are called to engage the enemy."
Idleman's nondenominational church, Westside Christian Fellowship, is located 60 miles north of Los Angeles. He recently released his seventh book, Desperate for More of God.

More information can be found at www.ShaneIdleman.com.

I'm sure he is speaking from his view as an American pastor, but I changed the caption slightly because I don't think that this is limited to America.

I see lots of this happening in my country and is disheartening; the messages about growing your church, how to be blessed, 7 steps to success etc.,

I heard his name listening to some Christian sisters online earlier. I'm going to look him up. Truthfully, the American church as a whole is spiritually dead and irrelevant because most of them are not born again. The American church has a name that it is alive but it is dead. And to be totally honest, the so called church is the reason for a lot of issues in society today. I'll have to get on a computer to go in depth. It's too much to type on a phone.

Last edited:
I'm sure he is speaking from his view as an American pastor, but I changed the caption slightly because I don't think that this is limited to America.

I see lots of this happening in my country and is disheartening; the messages about growing your church, how to be blessed, 7 steps to success etc.,

Where are you? Are you not in America?

There is too much similarity between the church and the world. Our personal lives should not reflect that everything goes.

Thank you for the post Iwanthealthyhair67 :)

You're right --this problem isn't exclusive to the American 'church.' It's widespread. I believe it was prophesied in one of Paul's letters that in the last days (and I understand that the last days began long ago, but even more so now) that there would be an apostasy and many would fall away from the Faith. I believe the prophesied apostasy coincides with Jesus warning in Matthew 24, that many false messiahs would come in His name and deceive many. This falling away began while the apostles were alive, but I think we're seeing the mature fruit of it.

I pray that God continues to strengthen the man who wrote this article and all of the Believers who lovingly admonish and reprove today's wayward leaders. I say this because I've worked in churches and seen a lot, and I know how it is to share the truth with obstinate leaders who (because of the position they're in and everything that comes with it) are often very prideful (underneath the false humility) and are cemented in a man-made leadership model patterned after the world and blinded by a way of "doing church" that seems right to man, but opposes the way of Jesus Christ. If you aren't a leader or don't have a title, then chances are that many leaders won't listen to you anyway because you're just a "lay member" and you aren't on their level. False prophets and hirelings would just brush off this article, and that's IF they even took the time to read it, because they really don't care. Some of these leaders operate like a religious mafia behind the scenes and they're very litigious and will try to have unfavorable materials pulled off the internet or websites shut down. So the best thing a Believer can do is warn the unsuspecting congregants who are caught up in these religious corporations masquerading as the "kingdom of God."

He said that the "pulpit regulates the spiritual condition of God's people," which I think is one of the reasons why the American 'church' is in its current condition. On one hand, I understand that leaders wield a certain level of influence in the lives of congregants. But on the other hand, the level of influence that many leaders wield is inordinate, idolatrous and dangerous. Congregants (not all, but some) have relegated their responsibilities, authority, and thinking to their leaders. And leaders all too often gladly accept it, because they like it, and they don't realize that their role has been overloaded and inflated to a demi-god status. When a person has been immersed since birth, in a church-system with a secularized leadership model -- that's all they know and they think it's right because it's reinforced with eisegeted Scriptures. But to someone who is looking at it through the lens of Scripture, it's a co-dependent relationship between leaders and congregants. The leaders are afraid of the people and aim to please them rather than God, and the people are afraid of their leaders and aim to please them rather than God. And this is why it is so easy for one or a few leaders to regulate the spiritual condition of an entire organization. I believe that the Holy Spirit should regulate the spiritual condition of Believers. Leaders are only there to provide guidance through a living example and expository teaching. Jesus never intended for them to replace Him over His body.

Last edited:
I think it depends upon how you look at it. The Divine Presence (as in the "old" Testament, the sanctuary) is there. It cannot be spiritually dead because He is there. If people are following all the precepts of the church? No. No matter what, evil can never do away with the church that Christ instituted. He's there. The truth is always there.

Iwanthealthyhair67

Thanks for sharing this! This issue has been on my mind recently. The Pastor made some great points, and in several ways our society is spiritually dead (or at least on life support).

While I agree with JB that God will always be present and those who truly believe, love, and serve Him will always be there to testify, it is disheartening to see our society promote evil and to see individuals endanger their souls.

We can't (and shouldn't) be afraid to express, teach, preach, and explain the Gospel. More than ever in a confused and corrupt culture, we need to be counter-cultural and live by example lives of holiness and joy.

I really feel strongly about this. And I also agree with the pastor that we don't need the painful jokes, attempts at being witty, or pop-psychology in our sermons--give us "the meat." Give us Christ's beautiful words and teachings, give us the wisdom of the Apostles, and awe us with God's Word. That is more appealing and beautiful, in my eyes.

I would love to do more in the area of religious education and apologetics, perhaps when my children are a little older.

Has America's Form of Christianity Left the Church in 'Spiritually Dead' Condition?

http://www.christianpost.com/news/h...-spiritually-dead-condition-116055/email.html

By Jessica Martinez, CP Reporter

March 13, 2014|8:15 am
A California pastor says he is concerned about the state of the church and believes that Christianity in America has shifted away from the Gospel and instead of being the light of the world, Christians are beginning to look just like the world.

Shane Idleman, founder and lead pastor of Westside Christian Fellowship in Lancaster, Calif., wrote a blog post directed towards church leaders who he says have exchanged the truth for tolerance. He urges them and the rest of the Christian community to reflect on whether they are affecting the world or being infected by it.

"The present condition of the church and America leaves one to wonder if this lack of fearing the Lord is contributing to her spiritually dead condition. A healthy respect of God is what our culture, and the church desperately need," Idleman told The Christian Post.

He decided to write the post because he says American church leaders are more concerned about keeping an audience instead of preaching the truth from their pulpits.

"Although many applaud boldness, if the truth be told, life would be much easier if I took another vocation and avoided controversy. But I cannot. God radically changed my life by the power of His Spirit through His truth. His Word is like a fire in my bones, I cannot hold it back," he said.

Idleman bluntly explains that many pastors have taken on the role of CEOs and have not understood that they are called to lead a people to Christ. He also notes that the "pulpit regulates the spiritual condition of God's people," and a "lukewarm, sex-saturated culture and church simply reflects the lack of conviction in the pulpit."

However, the lack of conviction also depends on the prayer life of the preacher, he explains. Prayer is the first sign of a spiritually healthy church and leader.

Oftentimes, pastors focus too much on marketing plans, demographic studies, or giving campaigns, he said. Idleman says leaders need to focus on being spirit filled.

"Sermons shouldn't come from pop-psychology and the latest fad, they must come from the prayer closet where God prepares the messenger before we prepare the message. It takes broken men to break men," said Idleman.
In order to reverse the trend, the California pastor urges leaders to draw away from mass appeal and remain true to biblical foundations, despite the temptation to be lured into mainstream culture. He also calls on churches not to appeal to the masses through selective preaching of the Word that does not call out destructive lifestyles, but instead begin a revival that will trigger individuals to change.

"If we continue down this slippery slope, there is little hope. Apart from a national spiritual awakening, it will be difficult to turn the Titanic around. The vessel has been struck, what's inside is spilling out," said Idleman.
"But if God brings revival … if we once again set our hearts and minds on Him … there is tremendous hope. There will not be an end until Christ returns but we are not called to hide in the corner, we are called to engage the enemy."

Idleman's nondenominational church, Westside Christian Fellowship, is located 60 miles north of Los Angeles. He recently released his seventh book, Desperate for More of God.

More information can be found at www.ShaneIdleman.com.

I so agree with the bolded especially. Thanks for sharing this OP.

Back