Are home made butters moisturizing?

Cleve_gryl

I've been making up all kinds of yummy butter/oil mixtures :lick: My question is, can these be used as daily moisture on the hair? I've added yummy oils like Jojoba,sweet almond, avocado and even a little glycerin.

I rubbed some on my ends last night and this morning they were...okay :look:. Very soft, but didn't feel real moisturized or silky. Anyone use butter blends for moisture or is this good to seal with?

Yes!! I've done this but adding a dollop of moisturizing conditioner the mix. Maybe that will do the trick. :wink2:

Well, you just listed a bunch of Oils. Oils (no matter how many or what kind you use) are not and will never be a moisturizing product.

Oil, can seal in moisture, but you have to use a product FOR moisture first.

Of course they can be moisturizing. I use my own butter and my hair is stays super soft after using it. People are always commenting on how soft my hair always feels.
It keeps my ends (especially the hair in my nape that is so week, dry and prone to breakage) moisturized all the time. Since I've been using it my nape is growing and catching up with the rest of my hair. (something it's never been able to do since I was a kid)

Well, you just listed a bunch of Oils. Oils (no matter how many or what kind you use) are not and will never be a moisturizing product.

Oil, can seal in moisture, but you have to use a product FOR moisture first.

I know oil alone isn't moisturizing...I add the oils to butters like shea, mango, avocado etc. and whip them up.

Of course they can be moisturizing. I use my own butter and my hair is stays super soft after using it. People are always commenting on how soft my hair always feels.
It keeps my ends (especially the hair in my nape that is so week, dry and prone to breakage) moisturized all the time. Since I've been using it my nape is growing and catching up with the rest of my hair. (something it's never been able to do since I was a kid)

Whisper: Thanks! I may add some creamy leave in to my next batch.

Sweetcashew, what type of butters do you use?

I use mine primarily as a sealant but the butters I use are easily absorbed so I guess they could pull double duty. I put red palm butter, hempseed butter, coconut oil, jojoba, olive oil and vit e oils in my mixture and whip it together. Oops and a bit of castor oil too which is a humectant so I'm gonna vote yes:yep:

I know oil alone isn't moisturizing...I add the oils to butters like shea, mango, avocado etc. and whip them up.
Oh LOL, I thought you meant avocado, mango, etc OIL... not butter... HAHAHA

Im stupid, dont listen to me... no seriously.... dont listen to me ever.

Oh LOL, I thought you meant avocado, mango, etc OIL... not butter... HAHAHA

Im stupid, dont listen to me... no seriously.... dont listen to me ever.

You're not stupid!! I didn't really give specifics on ingredients I use in OP, and I guess if you're not a butter maker :look: you wouldn't know what I meant. We're making natural home made versions of products like Elasta QP Mango Butter, which can also be used on your skin :lick:

I mix aloe vera gel with shea butter and avocado butter. I think the aloe vera really helps with moisturization because my hair is much softer now. :yep:

Back