Are halos okay?

TBird

I guess that's what you call them. Where you relax just the front and back edges of your hair. I want to stretch my relaxers but my edges look so bad and are at the point where nothing lays them down and I hate gel. With a halo the majority of my hair isn't touched by chemical. What do you think? Yay or nay?

I tried to check your album but it is locked and I did not see a password. Thought I could get a visual of you "halo". Anyway, maybe you could just wet the edges down with a spray of distilled water and then a little extra virgin olive oil to seal, and tie down (not too tightly) with a silk scarf. Hope this helps. Bonjour.

I used to do this when I wore weaves, with my own hair blended in around the perimeter. I did get some slight damage, but I'm not sure if that was because of the perming or because that area was constantly exposed while the rest was protected. I probably wouldn't do it again. If your edges are getting that bad, maybe you've reached your limit for how long you can extend.

Thanks ladies. MahaliaLee, I really need to take that out of my siggy until I actually get a digital camera. I opened a fotki account knowing good and well I don't have any way of posting pics. I know I'm a buster, but I was really bored.

TBird, there was a thread about this a while back. I tried to look for it but came up empty. Maybe you'll do a better job than I. Something about relaxing just the edges. If I remember right, there were a few people who had done it (including Tracy I think) and it turned out fine.

I was really concerned about the stress on my edges and nape because due to phony buns there's enough stress in those areas. I'm already experiencing some breakage from the too regular use of ponytails and I don't want to add to the stress. I just wanted some feedback, but I think I'll justtry to hold out. Thanks again ladies.

Back