Are buns an option for 4a/b naturals?

jd_bdfly

I'm toying with the idea of transitioning - all your pics and experiences are starting to inspire me to do so. However, since I'm going to be working in a conservative office environment after this year, I'm wondering about style options. I'm worried about having too "wild" of a look for work
antlers.gif
LOL. If I did have a full head of natural 4a/b hair, would I be able to pull my hair back into a neat enough bun without pressing?

I know braid extensions are one option for transitioning that give a lot of styling possibilities, but my previous experience with braids was that they were more harmful than helpful to may hair, so if I do decide to transition, I'd prefer to do it without braids.

Do any of you 4a/b naturals have advice to give me on this?

since you have shoulder length hair already wearing a bun will be a good option but you may get bored with it. you can do things to spice up your bun but I got bored after 2-3 months of all bun wearing so I did weaves and braids but I moisturized 2-3 times a day.

Absolutely! But you would have to have enough hair to pull back. A nice size bun doesn't matter because you could always wear a fake pony or bun. When I wear a bun, I wear a very neat ballerina bun by giving myself a CO wash, detangling w/conditioner, then rinse and apply leave in. I gently brush and secure bun. Then the most important step-I wrap my head firmly with a scarf. The scarf does all the work. When I get up in the morning my hair looks so smooth. Not one hair out of place.

Wow, I have no ckue what all of you ladies are doing to your hair. My hair is way to thick to comb all of my hair into a donut bun. My hair is definitely not too short, it's layered with the longest layer between my shoulder blades. I have this huge culry puff of hair that I wear pulled back. I wish I had a scanner to show you all the pics of my hair that I speak of
frown.gif

one of my best friends, tanisha, wears a bun with a curly drawstring ponytail. i think it can be done if you find the right products to smooth down your hair with.

I wear buns to work all the time.. I have a folder in my hair album of my bun styles. You can check it out if you'd like. And I definitely have puffy, coily, mind of its own natural hair.
smile.gif

So that is what you consider a bun....this is exactly how I wear my hair, like in pic number one, actually your hair texture is much like mine. I call that a curly puff, NOT a bun. When your hair is completely rolled up in a knot, that's what I consider a bun.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Are you talking about her first picture in her buns, buns, buns album? Her hair is twisted under in a bun similar to a phony bun anyone can buy in a BSS.
smile.gif

Brat's bun

oh no, I was talking about the curly puff in the 1st ablum. I didn't even see the buns album. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

[ QUOTE ]
biyanna said:
Absolutely! But you would have to have enough hair to pull back. A nice size bun doesn't matter because you could always wear a fake pony or bun. When I wear a bun, I wear a very neat ballerina bun by giving myself a CO wash, detangling w/conditioner, then rinse and apply leave in. I gently brush and secure bun. Then the most important step-I wrap my head firmly with a scarf. The scarf does all the work. When I get up in the morning my hair looks so smooth. Not one hair out of place.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes sense. It sounds like the scarf will definitely be the key. I guess it's the same concept as with relaxed hair. If I want smoother styles without heat I have to use a scarf now, so that won't change, huh?

[ QUOTE ]
Mamacita said:
oh no, I was talking about the curly puff in the 1st ablum. I didn't even see the buns album. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

[/ QUOTE ]
laugh.gif
Gurl - I thought I had lost my mind.......it's all good
drunk.gif

Mamacita - have you ever tried to start your bun with dripping wet hair - it should be much easier to work with and that is what i have to do
wink.gif

Nx2brat, I just checked your album and I absolutely loved it! I bookmarked it, and I am going to be up in your hair all the time now!
laugh.gif

thats like my daily protective style. you can pull it off if you have enough lenght. my directions for a smooth natural bun.
1. do a conditioner wash or light rinse
2. fingercomb (optional)
3. apply leave in or favorite hair products
4. secure hair into ponytail
5. apply gel around the hairline and smooth with a boar bristle brush. (may substitute pomade instead of gel)
6. twist end of ponytail into bun and pin.
7. apply satin scarf for 5-10 minutes to help "set" the hair. (usually at this time i am putting on my clothes or eating breakfast)

i sometimes skip #7. without the scarf trick im able to get my hairline kind of kinky/wavy/smooth" with just the gel and brush. When i use the scarf it makes my hairline much "straighter."

Based on my Mom's progress in the past year and half - ABSOLUTELY.

My Mom's hair is some kind of a 4
laugh.gif
and she gained about 12-15 inches of length in a year and a half using a bun. I'm going to take pics of her hair and add it to my album when I see her next. I've been meaning to do so for some time. She pulls her own hair back into a bun (dry - sometimes wet) and wears a phony bun. She doesn't need to do that anymore, but she still likes it.
smile.gif

I have, I only "do" my hair when it's sopping wet, bit it's such a mass of hair...it's huge
laugh.gif
It only seems that I can get it pulled up into a certain point and the pony tail jsut can't get any smaller at the base....so I opt for the wet n' go curly puff all the time
drunk.gif

Thanks Jessy. I want to try your banding technique...I need to pick up some of those over-size bands the next time I'm in the store.

Back