Are Braids really a protective style?

pink lush

I know some of you chose braids as a way to promoting growth and protecting your hair. I've recently heard about braids thinning people's hair and edges, so is it really a good protective style or does it depend on the type of braids you get?

I believe that braids are a good protective style because you don't comb your hair for a while....if you get the too small however or don't care for them while you have them in they can do more harm than good. Medum sized box braids are ideal for hairgrowth and as long as you moisturize your hair under the braids and apply and remove them carefully you can have nothing but success...unless you are allergic to the materials used to make the braids.

smile.gif

Gldspoon

My hairline disappeared when I wore a bun everyday. Too much of any good thing is bad. If you wear braids too often or improperly, then your edges might come out, but it is protective nonetheless.

P.S. Or maybe I am just saying that because I have braids right now.
grin.gif

Good question, Pink Lush
I'm flirting with the idea of getting braids...(I've never had them before).... I think braids would be perfect for me...low maintanence, yet effective for protecting the hair... I plan to read up on the responses on this thread closely...

I think braids are a protective style, as long as the braids aren't too tight. You also have to take your sweet time removing them so as to not snag and tear the hair, especially at the hairline.
smile.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
pink lush said:
I know some of you chose braids as a way to promoting growth and protecting your hair. I've recently heard about braids thinning people's hair and edges, so is it really a good protective style or does it depend on the type of braids you get?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple">I have to agree with everyone. As long as you moisturize your braids on a daily basis, and not put the product at the base of the braid, your hair will maintain the moisture level and it'll be easier to remove. If you want more information on taking care of your braids using the Crown and Glory method, here's the link to check out: www.growingafrohairlong.com </font>

They're the most effective protective style, simply because of the duration of the style. You can for more than a month without manipulating the hair.

But I don't think braids grow your hair any faster than other protective styles. Alopecia can be self-induced by way of braids under two conditions: wearing braids too tightly or for too long. There are other protective styles that can also do more harm than good: wearing hats made of material that will damage the hair, like an unlined straw hat; overuse of gels for styles that tends to dry the hair.

pink lush i definatly agree wit all the ladies ont he baord about everything havin a potential of breakin hair and lik baby curls said read into braids and their maintanance b4 havin them done...there is tones of info on braids on the board if u do a search on it and also there's a thread that was strated a lil while ago which has ppl statin their braid regiment which should come in very helpful
smile.gif

Back