Are Box Relaxers More Damaging Than No-Mix Relaxers?

Ashee

Box Relaxers vs No-Mix Relaxers?

I was just thinking:think: that since I've been using the No-Mix Relaxers that my hair is behaving much better, along with the proper care. But could it be that the Box Relaxers could be more damaging because they rely on YOU the CONSUMER/STYLIST to mix the ingredients properly to insure proper care??:confused:
Could ths be one of the reasons why Home Self-Relaxers go through so much DRAMA!!!!??? I was always nervous about mixing the potions together long enough (making sure the lumps are out), but can something like that really be mixed properly by hand?!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :covereyes
Maybe the problem all this time wasn;t the relaxer... Maybe I didn't sprain my arm long enough to ensure proper mixing... Well, I'm happy knowing that I can by the potion already mix... What do you ladies think - Relaxed & Past Relaxed!:user:

Last edited:
Re: Box Relaxers vs No-Mix Relaxers?

Could it be it not as fresh as the one you mix? You have no idea when they mixed that stuff.

Most hair products have a date on the bottom of either when it was packaged or if natural when to sell/use by...

When you're mixing it, how can you really be sure that you mixed it well enough? It's not like I've seen any color reaction product that gives you a blatent sign that the product is properly mixed.... :ohwell:

When I was no lye, I would mix for a good 5 minutes, let sit for 5 minutes, and then give it another good stir. The relaxer should be really creamy, no lumps. But I really think the difference you see may be because you switched to lye.

Long ago there was a boxed relaxer that had color in it I forget the name. If the mixture was uniform in color then it was properly mixed.

With the Box mixes I went from Lye to no-lye back to lye over some years, but I always had the fear that they weren't being mixed long enough (even if my arm felt like it would fall off:lol: )
I've been using only lye since using the already mixed relaxers...

They do have no mix no-lye like Hawaii Silky has one but I think your hair is better because you are using lye. By the way which lye relaxer are you using?

Last edited:
From my experiences, I've stopped using the no-lye box relaxers becuase they were damaging my hair. :cry3:

I switched to Hawaian Silky Lye Mild Conditioning Jar Relaxer and I haven't looked back since. :woot: :hula:

Re: Box Relaxers vs No-Mix Relaxers?

I think it's because you switched to lye also. When I was using no-lye, I found out that my hair look more frizzy than straight. Also, no-lye is gentler on your scalp and harsh on your hair, lye is vice versa.

My relaxer comes in a box.

It's one of the best things that has ever happened to my head.

It's called Phytorelaxer. When used as properly instructed it is a wonderful product.

jmo.

MonaLisa said:
My relaxer comes in a box.

It's one of the best things that has ever happened to my head.

It's called Phytorelaxer. When used as properly instructed it is a wonderful product.

jmo.

True, but Phyto isn't a calcium hydroxide no-lye relaxer like almost all other "box" relaxers. That's why I don't even consider Phyto as a "No-Lye" relaxer because No-Lye (to me) means calcium hydroxide, which is the damaging agent in those types of relaxers.

baglady215 said:
True, but Phyto isn't a calcium hydroxide no-lye relaxer like almost all other "box" relaxers. That's why I don't even consider Phyto as a "No-Lye" relaxer because No-Lye (to me) means calcium hydroxide, which is the damaging agent in those types of relaxers.

True dat....but it came in a box....so I gave it a shout out...;)

MonaLisa said:
True dat....but it came in a box....so I gave it a shout out...;)
:lol:
Do you mix this? I've been hearing about this Phyto relaxer. I'm not surching for a new one right now, but what makes this different? :look:

You do have to mix Phyto. I like Phyto and my hair comes out soft when using this relaxer but it doesn't last on me for some reason. It reverts too soon for me. My hair is still a little on the dry side.

Ashee said:
:lol:
Do you mix this? I've been hearing about this Phyto relaxer. I'm not surching for a new one right now, but what makes this different? :look:

Phyto doesn't contain calcuim hydroxide, the ingredient in most no-lye relaxers that make it harsh and drying.

baglady215 said:
Phyto doesn't contain calcuim hydroxide, the ingredient in most no-lye relaxers that make it harsh and drying.

Thanks for stating baglady.

I don't get the whole reverting thing...cause I made it 16 weeks...probably could've gone longer...but it was my birthday.

Could be attributed to hair type...or using the incorrect index for one's hair....

eta: gonna stop talking about my product now...lol. but for more Phyto feedback....KAddy has a whole thread devoted to "Everything you've ever wanted to know about Phytorelaxer."

well, when you buy the at home relaxers, you have to mix in the activator. I would believe that if not mixed properly, there would be portions of the relaxer that would not be activated. And your relaxer may not come out as nice as it should.

The only damaging factor with the at home relaxers is that you're in charge of timing. Leaving it on long causes over processing, that leads to the damage.

Personally, i don't feel that one is more damaging than the other if used properly.

Back