Are bantu knots work appropriate?

I think they're nice, I'm glad you decided to wear them! I would wear them to work as well. I don 't see what would make them not classy or professional, maybe if your attire looked like you just came in from the club or dragged yourself out of bed...

I resist the idea that we can't wear our hair in cultural styles and be taken seriously. And honestly, here in the south, the only negative comments or looks I have ever received regarding my natural hair or styles, have come from other black women.

I think they're nice, I'm glad you decided to wear them! I would wear them to work as well. I don 't see what would make them not classy or professional, maybe if your attire looked like you just came in from the club or dragged yourself out of bed...

I resist the idea that we can't wear our hair in cultural styles and be taken seriously. And honestly, here in the south, the only negative comments or looks I have ever received regarding my natural hair or styles, have come from other black women.

I can see that...
Other ethnic groups would be too afraid to comment even if they did feel similarly.

As long as they are neat I would think they would be okay. If it wasn't I'm pretty sure you would have a lawsuit!!

Wearing bantu knots to work has nothing to do with "black pride" or showing your "ancestary." The look is just plain tacky in a workplace environment.

Imagine if your white counterpart wore the exact same hairstyle. I understand that some people are on the natural hair kick, but we really need to use common sense sometimes.

No I wouldnt wear my hair like that to work.. they would all be like :perplexed
and then comes the questions, and then the conv's behind your back.. No I wouldn't do it, but what works for one, may not work for others..

I would say it depends on your work environment and your role. I work at an ad agency where folks come in everyday in jeans, but since I sit up front where visitors and clients come in, I'm a little more modest about my attire and look.

Wearing bantu knots to work has nothing to do with "black pride" or showing your "ancestary." The look is just plain tacky in a workplace environment.

Imagine if your white counterpart wore the exact same hairstyle. I understand that some people are on the natural hair kick, but we really need to use common sense sometimes.
I agree. For me, if you have to ask whether it's work appropriate, you've just answered your own question.

The simple fact that most people--men and women, black and white--are turned off by the style, would make me shy away from it.

bumping since this has been discussed previously @aviddiva77
I think Bantu knots in the workplace are more acceptable now that White women are wearing them, on television on and the runway. Bantu knots (also called Zulu knots) are a hairstyle just like other types of braids and twists; however, African Americans view them as a prep style.

Gwen Stefani
nga4bd.jpg

Screen-Shot-2013-07-30-at-7.11.17-PM-600x370.png

Fashion Week
http://www.papermag.com/2014/09/last_night_at_nyfw_white_girls.php
BFA_10118_1223138.jpg

Marc Jacobs show
MarcJacobs.jpg

Jada
matrix_jadapinkettsmith_1.jpg

Rihanna
Rihanna-Bantu-Knots-Hair-Style.jpg

Last edited:
Seriously, what's the difference between bantu knots and wearing them loose in the morning? It's the same Afro hair.

It is usually other black people who take issue with how we wear our hair. They need white folks stamp of approval before they deem a hairstyle "acceptable". Some blacks appoint themselves overseers to keep other blacks from being too ethnic. They want to make sure Massah knows they believe "not white is not right". But let Massah start sporting Bantu knots as a norm, everyone else will fall in line.

It is usually other black people who take issue with how we wear our hair. They need white folks stamp of approval before they deem a hairstyle "acceptable". Some blacks appoint themselves overseers to keep other blacks from being too ethnic. They want to make sure Massah knows they believe "not white is not right". But let Massah start sporting Bantu knots as a norm, everyone else will fall in line.

Every person who was not supportive of me transitioning to natural hair was Black. White people have been curious but not negative although I have never tried to wear Bantu knots (inside or outside of the house).

DH encouraged me to do it but some family members and friends typically had something negative to say....some of whom are natural themselves all these years later.

Not if you work in a corporate office. I could but I'd feel uncomfortable wearing Bantus to my job. It's very corporate-y. Now twistouts...even twists pinned up or French braids I do and look very neat.

Back