Are Banana/Claw Clips Bad for Hair?

Chichi

Okay, I am loving my big banana clip a little too much...

I usually do a bun now that my hair is a little bit longer BUT I have started using this big, plastic banana clip too. I moisturize my hair with oil, apply Profetiv Ends to my ends, then I twist my hair, point it up, then clamp that clip down. Some of my hair usually peeks out from the very top of the clip. I love this style and it is so quick to do.

But is my banana clip harmful for my hair? I make sure that it doesn't dig into my scalp but that the teeth of the clip touch each other. TIA.

Chichi
bdance.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I am loving my big banana clip a little too much...

I usually do a bun now that my hair is a little bit longer BUT I have started using this big, plastic banana clip too. I moisturize my hair with oil, apply Profetiv Ends to my ends, then I twist my hair, point it up, then clamp that clip down. Some of my hair usually peeks out from the very top of the clip. I love this style and it is so quick to do.

But is my banana clip harmful for my hair? I make sure that it doesn't dig into my scalp but that the teeth of the clip touch each other. TIA.

Chichi
bdance.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a good question. I want to know too. I bought a very pretty banana clip and I'm not sure if it is damaging or not to my hair.

<font color="brown">I wear banana clips also. I have an assortment of claws and clips that I wear, and I think they are much better for my hair than scrunchies (scrunchies can erode the cuticle if worn too much).

The important thing is to make sure that the claw/clip is well made. In other words, check the teeth to be sure that they are smooth and seamless (no rough edges). Also, make sure that the hinge operates properly and does not catch on the hair. And finally, I make sure not to twist my hair too tightly, and I place the clip carefully to make sure that it is not pulling on any areas of my hair.

As long as you have a quality clip and you treat your hair gently, it should not be bad for your hair.

AngieK </font>

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="brown">I wear banana clips also. I have an assortment of claws and clips that I wear, and I think they are much better for my hair than scrunchies (scrunchies can erode the cuticle if worn too much).

The important thing is to make sure that the claw/clip is well made. In other words, check the teeth to be sure that they are smooth and seamless (no rough edges). Also, make sure that the hinge operates properly and does not catch on the hair. And finally, I make sure not to twist my hair too tightly, and I place the clip carefully to make sure that it is not pulling on any areas of my hair.

As long as you have a quality clip and you treat your hair gently, it should not be bad for your hair.

AngieK </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks AngieK! I will be inspecting ALL of my banana clips.
smile.gif
I didn't know that about the scrunchies though. I wonder if the silk ones are any better...

Chichi
bdance.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

AngieK </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks AngieK! I will be inspecting ALL of my banana clips.
smile.gif
I didn't know that about the scrunchies though. I wonder if the silk ones are any better...

Chichi
bdance.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you AngieK. I'll check out mine for seams first.

I have silk scrunchies...they seem to be working well for me.

<font color="brown">When I do wear scrunchies, I wear the silky ones as well. They are definitely more gentle than the cottony ones.
smile.gif

AngieK </font>

Do you think the claws could be filed if rough edges were found? Just a thought since some did that with their combs.

Good Tips re: claw clips, Angie K. Thank you. Personally, they seem to perform better for me than scrunchies.

northernbelle

Thanks ladies. I checked my clips today and no seams. They all had smooth edges. now, if only I could think up some new styles to use with them...
scratchchin.gif

Chichi
bdance.gif

On the LongHairLovers.com website, there is a link whereby one may order hair clips of differenr types: wood, tortoise, hand-made, etc. They are expensive, and imported from France, but they look great and are of high quality.

Something to consider.

By the way, longhairlovers.com has some interesting info. re: long hair care.

northernbelle

Thanks for another protective style idea. I'm going to have to purchase a couple of banana clips.

They have some reasonably priced at hairboutique.com - they have a huge selection actually starting at $4.95 for two. I would bet that Claire's Boutique has some also.

I used scrunchies a lot right now, too but I make sure to use only the silk or satiny ones. So far, I haven't noticed any breakage and I've been using them for months!
smile.gif

HairLove,

Where do you purchase silk scrunchies?

I was contemplating this question during my walk this morning. While I adore my claw clips, I would like another option.

northernbelle

Back