Aquainted With Our Sorrows? Does Jesus know Our Pain?

SND411

A True Soldier Never Dies
Hebrews 4:15
For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are--yet was without sin.

I always wondered about this verse among others. Do you personally believe Jesus understands your pain/perspective/struggles? Let's break it down. Jesus was

- A man
- A Jew
- Was not that poor
- Educated somewhat
- Unmarried
- Lived thousands of years ago
- Had followers

My question is, how can Jesus know how it is to be a lonely gentile, destitute, illiterate, underprivileged woman under forced prostitution in modern time? I want a response other than "because He is God..."

Do you know that struggle? You don't need to actually go through it to empathize.

He may not be underprivileged, illiterate, or a woman, but He was a man, who left it all, was constantly rejected, hurt by those He came to save, betrayed by one within His inner circle, brutally beaten, and sacrificed. I mean, if that doesn't help you to understand that He knows our pain, I don't know what will.

Do you know that struggle? You don't need to actually go through it to empathize.

He may not be underprivileged, illiterate, or a woman, but He was a man, who left it all, was constantly rejected, hurt by those He came to save, betrayed by one within His inner circle, brutally beaten, and sacrificed. I mean, if that doesn't help you to understand that He knows our pain, I don't know what will.

There is a different between empathize and actually going through the reality. The bolded is still not what many other people faced. Some people have been killed in ways that some may argue was worse than crucifixion. I feel like there has to be a way He knows other people's pain besides what happened to Him physically.

"The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit” (Psalm 34:18)

"as a father pities his children, so the Lord pities those who fear Him.for He knows our frame;He remembers that we are dust" (psalm103:13-14).

God is all knowing, although he hasn't experienced everything he knows all of our thoughts, and he can feel our pain. I believe that when we hurt, God hurts as well. He can see our thoughts afar off, before we even know them. He thoroughly knows us so he is capable of fully empathizing with out pain. When Lazarus died, Jesus wept, even though he knew he would bring him back to life. That was his human aspect. Jesus was both man and God, though his human experiences were limited his Godly insight is infinite and extends beyond what we can understand.

There is a different between empathize and actually going through the reality. The bolded is still not what many other people faced. Some people have been killed in ways that some may argue was worse than crucifixion. I feel like there has to be a way He knows other people's pain besides what happened to Him physically.

Pain is pain is my point. WHen you are hurt, you feel hurt. Your heart doesn't say, I hurt this way because of this but i only hurt that way because this wasn't so bad. The soul doesn't pick levels of pain. It just knows pain. When you are rejected by people, it hurts your feelings. When it comes to emotions, the pain is the same. it just last longer or less depending on how much energy we put into the event. How much thought we invest in the actual event that hurt us. Our minds apply definitions to the actual events that brought us pain, but the heart and soul only know pain.

Jesus experienced pain. Physical and emotional. He knows pain so he can relate. He definitely knows struggle.

Have you asked Him?

Last edited:
Pain is pain is my point. WHen you are hurt, you feel hurt. Your heart doesn't say, I hurt this way because of this but i only hurt that way because this wasn't so bad. The soul doesn't pick levels of pain. It just knows pain. When you are rejected by people, it hurts your feelings. When it comes to emotions, the pain is the same. it just last longer or less depending on how much energy we put into the event. How much thought we invest in the actual event that hurt us. Our minds apply definitions to the actual events that brought us pain, but the heart and soul only know pain.

Jesus experienced pain. Physical and emotional. He knows pain so he can relate. He definitely knows struggle.

Have you asked Him?

I just remembered!

Remember how Saul was persecuting the church?

Acts 9:4-6
4He fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him, "Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?"
5"Who are you, Lord?" Saul asked.
"I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting," he replied. 6"Now get up and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do."

I noticed in this passage, Jesus stated that HE HIMSELF was being persecuted. I think that Christ identifies with us to the point He knows our pain and struggles more than we know ourselves. We are, afterall His own body!

Or even Mathew 25

37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' 40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

I should have remembered these verses.

Hebrews 4:15
For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are--yet was without sin.
I think you are reading the first part of the verse incorrectly...

For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses...

It's talking about a high priest who is unable to sympathize. The verse is saying we don't have a high priest like that.

The verse is actually saying...

For we have a high priest who is able to sympathize with our weaknesses...

Hope that helps! ;)

Um, Jesus was highly educated...just putting that out there. Anybody do torah studies? And He was under Hillel? The dood was gifted...well, we all know why...but He wasn't exactly remedial bible class.

Knowledge is not obtained all at once, even by revelation, but line upon line, precept upon precept (Isa. 28: 9-10).

Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. - 1 Corinthians 8:1

(in context):

1Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.

2And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.

3But if any man love God, the same is known of him.

4As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.

5For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)

6But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

7Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.

8But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.

9But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.

10For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols;

11And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?

12But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.

13Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

Last edited:
Um, Jesus was highly educated...just putting that out there. Anybody do torah studies? And He was under Hillel? The dood was gifted...well, we all know why...but He wasn't exactly remedial bible class.

Then why did the Pharisees called Him "unlearned?"

^^^ Wheres that at SND? (I remember when they were surprised at his wisdom but please point me towards the one youre talking about too)

But if I had to take a guess I would say that they said it for the same reason that they called him Beelzebub...cuz he called them out and didnt agree with their actions.

But to the OT:
I believe that Jesus has experienced every feeling known to man...not every experience. Joy, laughter, weeping, mourning, betrayal, friendship, contempt, awe, loyalty, temptation, anger etc...but all without sinning (the way he handled and reacted to those situations).

So in the example you gave:

lonely-the 70 left...one of the 12 betrayed him...and the three closest to him couldnt identify with him enough to even pray for an hour before his crucufixtion...and they all scattered.

destitute-though carpentry was in his family he did not make a living on his journeys...he depended on the generosity of others for his shelter, food, etc.

illiterate-though he could read he was considered foolish by many (gospel is foolishness to those who do not believe)

underprivilaged-he came to the earth lowly, meek and humble in the face of rabbis and high priests who refused to recognize he was King because of his socioeconomic status.

woman-he felt contempt from others for who he was on the "totum pole" i.e. can anything good come out of nazareth?

prostitute-he felt used...the same ones who he healed and saw his miracles then cheered for his death.

modern times-everyone who has ever lived considered themselves to be living in modern times (compared to the past) and he lived in the middle east which at that time the romans had taken over parts of it (and we all know that roman technology was greatly advanced compared to others) He was also living in the same kind of pluralistic society that we do.

I mean, I would even go so far as to say that he felt the same pain of divorce from a spouse (the two who are supposed to be one) when he died on the cross and God could not look upon him because of the sin he bore and he cried out "My God why have you forsaken (or left) me?"

^^^ Wheres that at SND? (I remember when they were surprised at his wisdom but please point me towards the one youre talking about too)
Here's the Scripture where the Jews classified Jesus as 'unlearned':

John 7:14-15 (KJV)
"Now about the midst of the feast Jesus went up into the temple, and taught. And the Jews marvelled, saying, How knoweth this man letters, having never learned?"

But if I had to take a guess I would say that they said it for the same reason that they called him Beelzebub...cuz he called them out and didnt agree with their actions.

But to the OT:
I believe that Jesus has experienced every feeling known to man...not every experience. Joy, laughter, weeping, mourning, betrayal, friendship, contempt, awe, loyalty, temptation, anger etc...but all without sinning (the way he handled and reacted to those situations).

So in the example you gave:

lonely-the 70 left...one of the 12 betrayed him...and the three closest to him couldnt identify with him enough to even pray for an hour before his crucufixtion...and they all scattered.

destitute-though carpentry was in his family he did not make a living on his journeys...he depended on the generosity of others for his shelter, food, etc.

illiterate-though he could read he was considered foolish by many (gospel is foolishness to those who do not believe)

underprivilaged-he came to the earth lowly, meek and humble in the face of rabbis and high priests who refused to recognize he was King because of his socioeconomic status.

woman-he felt contempt from others for who he was on the "totum pole" i.e. can anything good come out of nazareth?

prostitute-he felt used...the same ones who he healed and saw his miracles then cheered for his death.

modern times-everyone who has ever lived considered themselves to be living in modern times (compared to the past) and he lived in the middle east which at that time the romans had taken over parts of it (and we all know that roman technology was greatly advanced compared to others) He was also living in the same kind of pluralistic society that we do.

I mean, I would even go so far as to say that he felt the same pain of divorce from a spouse (the two who are supposed to be one) when he died on the cross and God could not look upon him because of the sin he bore and he cried out "My God why have you forsaken (or left) me?"

Never thought about it like this! Thank you for this beautiful post.

My Friends, be wary of Enemies of the Gospel, people who carry disdain in their hearts for those who spread the Gospel and God's Love through his Words. They spew venom....

The apostles (or any follower of Christ for that matter) had also been considered unlearned by enemies of the Gospel. It is no different in today's times!

Acts 4:

1And as they spake unto the people, the priests, and the captain of the temple, and the Sadducees, came upon them,

2Being grieved that they taught the people, and preached through Jesus the resurrection from the dead.

3And they laid hands on them, and put them in hold unto the next day: for it was now eventide.

4Howbeit many of them which heard the word believed; and the number of the men was about five thousand.

5And it came to pass on the morrow, that their rulers, and elders, and scribes,

6And Annas the high priest, and Caiaphas, and John, and Alexander, and as many as were of the kindred of the high priest, were gathered together at Jerusalem.

7And when they had set them in the midst, they asked, By what power, or by what name, have ye done this?

8Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel,

9If we this day be examined of the good deed done to the impotent man, by what means he is made whole;

10Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.

11This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.

12Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

13Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.

My Friends, be wary of Enemies of the Gospel, people who carry disdain in their hearts for those who spread the Gospel and God's Love through his Words. They spew venom....

The apostles (or any follower of Christ for that matter) had also been considered unlearned by enemies of the Gospel. It is no different in today's times!

Acts 4:

1And as they spake unto the people, the priests, and the captain of the temple, and the Sadducees, came upon them,

2Being grieved that they taught the people, and preached through Jesus the resurrection from the dead.

3And they laid hands on them, and put them in hold unto the next day: for it was now eventide.

4Howbeit many of them which heard the word believed; and the number of the men was about five thousand.

5And it came to pass on the morrow, that their rulers, and elders, and scribes,

6And Annas the high priest, and Caiaphas, and John, and Alexander, and as many as were of the kindred of the high priest, were gathered together at Jerusalem.

7And when they had set them in the midst, they asked, By what power, or by what name, have ye done this?

8Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel,

9If we this day be examined of the good deed done to the impotent man, by what means he is made whole;

10Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.

11This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.

12Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

13Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.

Laela - I just had to say thank you.

My comment is a little off topic - I'd like to add that's why it's so important to know who we are and whose we are in Christ. With that confidence we are able to kick the dust off our feet.

^^^ Amen, and ITA, PinkPebbles. :yep:

My apologies for taking your thread OT, SDN411 ...
... it's a very stimulating topic.

There is this one characteristic of God that enabled Jesus to heal the sick, listen to others' grievances, etc., without having experienced it all Himself: COMPASSION

God is a God of compassion and Jesus was full of compassion when He walked among men. As such, this is the one characteristic of LOVE (GOD) that enables His followers to be effective witnesses to others -- it's unconditional. In other words, Jesus NEVER wanted ANYTHING in return.... :yep:

1) God is full of compassion for people.

Psalm 86:15 But You, O Lord, are a God full of compassion, and gracious, longsuffering and abundant in mercy and truth.

2) Jesus had compassion for lost people.

Matthew 9:36 But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd.

3) Jesus had compassion for sick people.
Matthew 14:14 And when Jesus went out He saw a great multitude; and He was moved with compassion for them, and healed their sick.

4) Jesus had compassion for hungry people.
Matthew 15:32 Now Jesus called His disciples to Himself and said, "I have compassion on the multitude, because they have now continued with Me three days and have nothing to eat. And I do not want to send them away hungry, lest they faint on the way."

5) Jesus had compassion for people who had lost loved ones.
Luke 7:13-14 When the Lord saw her, He had compassion on her and said to her, "Do not weep." Then He came and touched the open coffin, and those who carried him stood still. And He said, "Young man, I say to you, arise."

Jesus was never lost, sick or hungry, yet he was able to be moved by those who were. We Christians are His Followers, and as such should have the same characteristic in us:

1 Peter 3:8-12
Finally, all of you be of one mind, having compassion for one another; love as brothers, be tenderhearted, be £courteous; not returning evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary blessing, knowing that you were called to this, that you may inherit a blessing. For "He who would love life and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips from speaking deceit. Let him turn away from evil and do good; Let him seek peace and pursue it. For the eyes of the LORD are on the righteous, and His ears are open to their prayers; But the face of the LORD is against those who do evil."

I read Benny Hinn's Good Morning Holy Spirit earlier this year, and he mentioned that Jesus was HUMAN. We often forget that Jesus was actually human and not a spirit floating an inch above ground. He felt anger, sadness, loneliness and much more just like the rest of us. He cried, he was scared (Garden of Gethsemane). He operated purely on faith and the guidance of the Holy Spirit. I guess the difference between us and Him as humans is that He was *always* in tune with God.

Then why did the Pharisees called Him "unlearned?"

They didn't want anyone listening to him.

But as for your original question look at who Jesus surrounded himself with. He wasn't with the rich and those considered of being in the best standards. Peter had a dirty mouth another was selfish, greedy, Mary M too had a past. So be can relate because he was surrounded with people who had issues. Maybe even more serious then the bible needed to go into however we look at them as being those who truly knew Jesus and carried his message

Back